Donate Paypal

PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

no acorns?

The great Acorn famine

Unread postby dinopello » Sun 30 Nov 2008, 09:41:31

Washington Post - Acorn crop is non-existent this year

It's not pretty...

Starving, skinny squirrels eating garbage, inhaling bird feed, greedily demolishing pumpkins. Squirrels boldly scampering into the road. And a lot more calls about squirrel roadkill.

Zombie squirrels!

PO has a very informative Acorn fact sheet and recipe collection.
dinopello
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Re: The great Acorn famine

Unread postby Heineken » Sun 30 Nov 2008, 10:26:20

This year we (100 miles south of Washington) had the largest crop of acorns I've ever seen.

However, I do think there is something to this news story. Trees are under stress from many things. Zero mast production (as opposed to very low mast production) seems like a sure sign of that stress.
"Actually, humans died out long ago."
---Abused, abandoned hunting dog

"Things have entered a stage where the only change that is possible is for things to get worse."
---I & my bro.
Heineken
Expert
Expert

Re: The great Acorn famine

Unread postby dinopello » Sun 30 Nov 2008, 11:53:23

Heineken wrote:This year we (100 miles south of Washington) had the largest crop of acorns I've ever seen.

Well, that's a relief ! Be prepared for an influx of starving zombie squirrels 8O
dinopello
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

no acorns?

Unread postby Alaska » Tue 16 Dec 2008, 10:24:46

Washington Post Staff Writer
Sunday, November 30, 2008; Page A01:
The idea seemed too crazy to Rod Simmons, a measured, careful field botanist. Naturalists in Arlington County couldn't find any acorns. None. No hickory nuts, either. Then he went out to look for himself. He came up with nothing. Nothing crunched underfoot. Nothing hit him on the head.

Then calls started coming in about crazy squirrels. Starving, skinny squirrels eating garbage, inhaling bird feed, greedily demolishing pumpkins. Squirrels boldly scampering into the road. And a lot more calls about squirrel roadkill.

But Simmons really got spooked when he was teaching a class on identifying oak and hickory trees late last month. For 2 1/2 miles, Simmons and other naturalists hiked through Northern Virginia oak and hickory forests. They sifted through leaves on the ground, dug in the dirt and peered into the tree canopies. Nothing.

"I'm used to seeing so many acorns around and out in the field, it's something I just didn't believe," he said. "But this is not just not a good year for oaks. It's a zero year. There's zero production. I've never seen anything like this before."

Washington Post
Alaska
Wood
Wood

Re: no acorns?

Unread postby WisJim » Tue 16 Dec 2008, 10:48:31

I read some articles about this. We have had no shortage of acorns at our place in Western Wisconsin. I suppose this is a regional thing, and is getting blown out of proportion to make some news. I wonder if anyone does a national compilation of data on natural phenomena like this, or if the data is even available.
WisJim
Expert
Expert

Unread postby oxj » Tue 16 Dec 2008, 16:05:36

Red oak wither does exist. Is it a fungus, perhaps? The neighbors' red oaks are disappearing in patches, affecting some areas but not others.

Over time, black walnut trees which were mixed in with the hardwood have disappeared because of their value.

Perhaps without the antifungal properties of the black walnuts, fungi may continue their killing. While acorns are still available, I am trying to propagate them and plant oaks mixed with occasional black walnuts. In thirty years we'll see how this works out.
oxj
Peat
Peat

Unread postby kpeavey » Tue 16 Dec 2008, 16:44:28

It is not possible to walk barefoot in my driveway for all the acorns. You will die, we're talking graveyard dead there are so many acorns. If I had to live on acorns, I'd be fat and happy for years just on whats in the driveway and stuck around the windshield wipers. Had to shovel out the mailman.

I have water oaks, more of a weed than an oak tree.

Around 75 years ago the Eastern US was covered with American Chestnut trees. A blight came through which virtually wiped out the population. They are just now starting to make a comeback after decades of effort to repopulate the species. That a blight or disease could wipe out acorn production is not without precedent.
If you want a picture of the future, imagine a boot stamping on a human face--for ever."
-George Orwell, 1984
_____

twenty centuries of stony sleep were vexed to nightmare by a rocking cradle, and what rough beast, its hour come round at last, slouches towards Bethlehem to be born?
-George Yeats
kpeavey
Expert
Expert

Unread postby copious.abundance » Wed 17 Dec 2008, 22:07:39

IIRC there was also a massive failure of the eastern US acorn crop in 1969(???). Squirrels were observed swimming across the Hudson River in a desperate attempt to find acorns.
Stuff for doomers to contemplate:
http://peakoil.com/forums/post1190117.html#p1190117
http://peakoil.com/forums/post1193930.html#p1193930
http://peakoil.com/forums/post1206767.html#p1206767
copious.abundance
Fission
Fission

Unread postby rdsaltpower » Wed 31 Dec 2008, 17:38:26

Sounds local. here in Wv we have plenty of hickory nuts. Had to clean out my drainage ditch last week because they were clogging it w/ hulls and nuts. Sounds like hype.
rdsaltpower
Peat
Peat

Unread postby Umber » Wed 31 Dec 2008, 19:09:14

Plenty of acorns and hickory nuts here in north central Alabama this year.

Umber
Umber

Unread postby Tanada » Wed 31 Dec 2008, 20:42:11

Plenty of Acorns and Hickory nuts in MI, but the damable emerald ash borer is still devestating our ash tree population and pretty soon we won't have any left to speak of.

LINK
Alfred Tennyson wrote:We are not now that strength which in old days
Moved earth and heaven, that which we are, we are;
One equal temper of heroic hearts,
Made weak by time and fate, but strong in will
To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield.
Tanada
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread postby FoolYap » Thu 01 Jan 2009, 11:33:42

kpeavey wrote:Around 75 years ago the Eastern US was covered with American Chestnut trees. A blight came through which virtually wiped out the population. They are just now starting to make a comeback after decades of effort to repopulate the species.

So far as I know, chestnut is not yet coming back. The American Chestnut Foundation and others are still working on hybrids between American and Chinese species that are close enough to the original American in form, but with enough Chinese resistance to the blight. I don't believe that major plant-outs of any of the candidate crossing has happened yet. (Still watching for when they offer for sale whatever candidate crossing they recommend for plant-outs.)

OTOH, now that the Asian Longhorn beetle is getting footholds in this country (just discovered 20 miles south of me this year 8O ), we have bigger worries...

--Steve
FoolYap
Coal
Coal

Unread postby rattleshirt » Sun 04 Jan 2009, 12:44:52

For American Chestnut Hybrids I order from Oikos Treecrops. The have several different types and many other things too.
Remember every mighty oak tree started with some nut who stood their ground.
rattleshirt
Lignite
Lignite

Return to Environment, Weather & Climate