Donate Bitcoin

Donate Paypal

PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

James Bay Project revived?

Discussions of conventional and alternative energy production technologies.

James Bay Project revived?

Unread postby FoxV » Wed 23 Mar 2005, 00:26:33

nth wrote:hydro power is practically all tapped out. Only developing countries may have large untap sources.

saw this in another topic and suddenly remembered the James Bay Project

this hydro Behemoth was never completed because of successful petition by the Cree indians (financed by an american coal workers union no less :roll: )

I wonder if the last phases will be completed now that ANWR is up for grabs and the energy crisis is inevitable.

although with Hydro damns now contributing to global warming, this may not be a good thing
FoxV
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

Re: James Bay Project revived?

Unread postby nth » Wed 23 Mar 2005, 15:31:37

FoxV wrote:
nth wrote:hydro power is practically all tapped out. Only developing countries may have large untap sources.

saw this in another topic and suddenly remembered the James Bay Project

this hydro Behemoth was never completed because of successful petition by the Cree indians (financed by an american coal workers union no less :roll: )

I wonder if the last phases will be completed now that ANWR is up for grabs and the energy crisis is inevitable.

although with Hydro damns now contributing to global warming, this may not be a good thing

hydro damns contributing to global warming? What did I miss?

I think this will be revived when NY desperately need the power as your link states.
nth
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

Unread postby novaz04 » Thu 24 Mar 2005, 00:33:25

I think this project should be revieved, 25% of North Americas power, wow. It's just downright stupid, there are so many alternatives to fossil fuels, many of them very viable, but we never seem to get anywhere...

I think its something to do with pressure from people of the industry, especially oil.
novaz04
Wood
Wood

Unread postby Doly » Thu 24 Mar 2005, 07:41:39

In some countries hydro has been used to the limit, but not in others. UK, for example, has only 2% hydro. I don't doubt there's place for a lot more.
Doly
Expert
Expert

Unread postby FoxV » Thu 24 Mar 2005, 11:45:26

nth wrote:hydro damns contributing to global warming? What did I miss?

Here's the article from the Energy bulletin
Hydroelectric power's dirty secret revealed
I remain skeptical until there are more reports done proving the these results, but if this guy is correct it could spell serious trouble for Canada's best hope for renewable energy

novaz04 wrote:I think this project should be revieved, 25% of North Americas power, wow. It's just downright stupid

...I think its something to do with pressure from people of the industry, especially oil.

as I mentioned above, its really the american coal industry that killed the project.

The tragedy of it is not as bad as it appears in the article. That 25% is based on 1980 power usage, and the first stage was complete. So the project is still operating at 1/3 capacity. But still my guess is that it means 5% of north america's power is just waiting there.

Doly wrote:In some countries hydro has been used to the limit, but not in others. UK, for example, has only 2% hydro. I don't doubt there's place for a lot more.

we are absolutely awash in hydro capability in Canada, but I think a lot of it is under developed because we have abundant coal, oil, natural gas, and enviromentalists (not necessarily a bad thing)

I live 3Km downsteam of the Suander-Moses damn (1800 MW) and about 1Km away from the most narrow point of the St Lawrence river. If I could just stick a paddle wheel type generator in the narrow I would never have to worry about power again (The river has about a 15 knot current). But as all three levels of goverment own a peice of the land around the narrow its pretty much untouchable :(
FoxV
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

Unread postby nth » Thu 24 Mar 2005, 20:51:37

Thanks for the link.

I don't believe it.
Yes, decomposition will release greenhouse gas, but powerplants fueled by fossil produces way more. This reminds me of the cow fart/dung releasing methane theory. We will die from all the cows farting and pooping.
nth
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

Unread postby Andy » Thu 24 Mar 2005, 21:15:25

The greenhouse gas issue from hydro dams is a specious argument. Hydro dams do not produce more greenhouse gases than fossil plants. Think about it. The methane comes from rotting biomass in reservoirs. If the reservoirs did not exist, I am sure the rotting would be taking place somewhere else (a natural lake? a river?, the ocean?) Get the idea? A simple way to correct methane emissions from new dams is to clear cut the intended reservoir surface before flooding begins. Methane emissions from vegetation/dead animals washing into the reservoir after operation begins cannot be ascribed to hydro dams. That would happen anyway in other natural water sinks.

This whole issue is just an argument to discredit large hydro. I will be the first to admit that large hydro dams have other issues like flooding scarce fertile land, resettlement issues, mercury leaching etc. but it is not wise to write them off categorically. Each case is unique and should be evaluated thoroughly before the final decision to proceed/cancel is made.
Andy
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

Return to Energy Technology