Donate Bitcoin

Donate Paypal

PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

Code of Conduct - Minor update

Say hello, learn how to register, read the rules, get staff announcements.

Re: Code of Conduct - Minor update

Unread postby roccman » Fri 07 Dec 2007, 15:50:43

Hi Shanny -

Could you post the salient changes...I went back and it read kind of how I remember it...

Mods are gods and you should respect them...

Is that right?
"There must be a bogeyman; there always is, and it cannot be something as esoteric as "resource depletion." You can't go to war with that." Emersonbiggins
roccman
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby Pops » Fri 07 Dec 2007, 17:08:27

roccman wrote:Is that right?

Actually the changes are somewhat the opposite.
The legitimate object of government, is to do for a community of people, whatever they need to have done, but can not do, at all, or can not, so well do, for themselves -- in their separate, and individual capacities.
-- Abraham Lincoln, Fragment on Government (July 1, 1854)
Pops
Elite
Elite

Unread postby Keith_McClary » Wed 20 Aug 2008, 00:24:40

There are some subjects which are taboo on the news page but it is "moderator disrespect" to complain about it - even privately to the news editors.

So I am told, although the Code of Conduct doesn't say anything like that that.

I guess I can't complain - peakoil.com never claimed to be a haven of free speech.
Keith_McClary
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby vision-master » Wed 20 Aug 2008, 08:40:51

Keith_McClary wrote:There are some subjects which are taboo on the news page but it is "moderator disrespect" to complain about it - even privately to the news editors.

I guess I can't complain - peakoil.com never claimed to be a haven of free speech.

Little do you know. I guess you haven't been banned from other web forums yet, huh? This place is free speech heaven.
vision-master

Unread postby Bas » Wed 20 Aug 2008, 10:09:26

Keith_McClary wrote:There are some subjects which are taboo on the news page but it is "moderator disrespect" to complain about it - even privately to the news editors.

I don't like to give warnings, because everybody always feels they are treated unfairly or that our priorities are all wrong etc, and people insist having a discussion about it. Nobody likes to be warned, makes you feel like a child. Unfortunately plenty of good people make mistakes on occasion on this anonymous playground that is the internet.

Anyway, we've got an (imperfect) system to keep this forum half-decent and we know better than to aim higher than that, so usually I take a reply to a warning that's half decent as sufficient. I hope you people appreciate the tightrope we walk as mods, either we don't ban perceived "trolls" fast enough, or we give out "unfair" warnings. So it's not often a thankful job but someone's got to do it, and a minimum of authority and protection is needed for that. If the forum was much smaller and friendlier like a small group of friends chatting and nothing but common decency we wouldn't need mods, but this isn't the case.

Ah, I could go on but I see some spam that needs deleting. Just keep it (half) civil people, thanks in advance!
Bas

Unread postby joewp » Mon 25 Aug 2008, 01:32:00

Bas wrote:So it's not often a thankful job

Hey Bas, thanks for keeping the board clean and on topic, and thanks to all the other mods, admins and owners too. This place is an island of sanity is a consumer crazed world, and I'm glad there's guardians out there to keep it that way.
Joe P. joeparente.com
"Only when the last tree is cut; only when the last river is polluted; only when the last fish is caught; only then will they realize that you cannot eat money." - Cree Indian Proverb
joewp
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby Keith_McClary » Sat 06 Sep 2008, 00:17:52

vision-master wrote:
So I am told, although the Code of Conduct doesn't say anything like that that. I guess I can't complain - peakoil.com never claimed to be a haven of free speech.
Little do you know. I guess you haven't been banned from other web forums yet, huh? This place is free speech heaven.

I've never been banned for merely pointing out the biases of the admins.
Keith_McClary
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Return to Welcome