Donate Bitcoin

Donate Paypal

PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

Aaron - Please stop the scam click-through ads!

Having trouble? Is the forum having trouble?

Moderator: admin

Aaron - Please stop the scam click-through ads!

Unread postby Dvanharn » Thu 10 Mar 2005, 01:01:34

I assume you get 5 cents for each "click-through to these sites. It insults my intelligence as a peakoil.com participant to be associated with low-life ads like "Make 5,000 to $25,000 working from home," or ads for dubious natural gas investments.

If you were doing click-throughs for energy efficiency-related products, or sustainable farming, etc., I would be much happier. I'm sure that collectively, we could find websites that offer more appropriate goods and services that would help support the website and further the better causes of the human race and the biosphere that we utterly depend on.

I would gladly donate to your site to aviod this cheapening of our collective mission to discuss and prepare for peak oil and the post-carbon era.

Dave van Harn
Dvanharn
Lignite
Lignite

Unread postby k_semler » Thu 10 Mar 2005, 02:18:10

Each click through generally generates fractions of a cent, not even one complete cent, let alone $0.05. Also, I have not seen any of these clich through ads that you are speaking of. Is it a static advertisement, or a popup? It may have something to do with my edited hosts file, or the fact that I am using FireFox. Have you done an adware scan lately? You may be infected with something.
Here Lies the United States Of America.

July 04, 1776 - June 23 2005

Epitaph: "The Experiment Is Over."

Rest In Peace.

Eminent Domain Was The Murderer.
k_semler
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

Unread postby Carmiac » Thu 10 Mar 2005, 05:10:37

I don't think I have ever seen an ad on this site. Of course, I rarely see ads while browsing.
Carmiac
Peat
Peat

Unread postby JR » Thu 10 Mar 2005, 05:49:46

I haven't seen any of these ads either. I use Firefox as well.'

Jodi
JR
Peat
Peat

Unread postby admin » Thu 10 Mar 2005, 09:53:31

I would love to stop the ads, but the issue is that the site costs over $100/month to host, and the ad pays for most of that. If this growth keeps up next month we will have to go to a $200/month server.

Plus, I'd love to raise extra, to buy ads of our own.

Other ideas are to solicit donations, but nobody has donated this month.
Another idea is to have subscribers pay not to see ads.
People have also been talking about a peakoil store.
Maybe someone wants a job applying for gov't or private grants.

But really, if you like this site, click an ad every once and a while and chip in 10-12 cents.
admin
l33t
l33t

Unread postby stu » Thu 10 Mar 2005, 10:04:12

I propose that we devote a couple of minutes each day clicking ads to help revenue.

If the price of oil keeps rising then you can more or less guarantee that this website will increase in popularity. Therefore we have to move to a more expensive server.
"The age of excess is over. The age of entropy has begun"
stu
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby Aaron » Thu 10 Mar 2005, 10:44:28

I don't care for the ads at all personally.

But as Dan points out, they are almost the only source of financial support this website receives.

While I am also repelled by attempts to profit from the fear generated by this topic, I'm more repelled by the idea that it could fold from lack of funding.

It is ironic, and perhaps fitting that this site exists on the collective good will of concerned people around the world, since it's the collective greed and ill will of people which has made peak oil a potential disaster.

I suggest that this site is a crude barometer for our larger world.

Nobody makes a dime from this website, including myself or Dan, or any of our volunteers which make this place possible. Our server hosting fees will almost certainly increase, and require us to consider how we can pay for it.

Dan & I are both technologists, and so we donate what would be many thousands of dollars in building & maintaining this website.

Others volunteer to help Moderate the forums, research & publish news stories, manage our links, etc...

But as far as fund raising... we are rank amateurs.

To provide some perspective, if I could afford it, I would work on this project full time.
The problem is, of course, that not only is economics bankrupt, but it has always been nothing more than politics in disguise... economics is a form of brain damage.

Hazel Henderson
Aaron
Resting in Peace

Unread postby stu » Thu 10 Mar 2005, 10:57:12

Seeing as volunteering and good will are going to be needed a hell of a lot more in the future, then I see no reason why regular PO.com contributors will not offer whatever help is needed.
"The age of excess is over. The age of entropy has begun"
stu
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby julianj » Thu 10 Mar 2005, 12:19:29

about every 3 months Antiwar.com has a big donate bit on their front page: with a bar that fills up as they reach their target. I suggest you do the same.

I think the problem is, although most of the people appreciate the work the whole team does, we don't really realise how much its costing. I'd rather donate than click through ads - it would feel more "honest" somehow.
julianj
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

Unread postby FatherOfTwo » Thu 10 Mar 2005, 14:04:25

Everyone here is on the internet, and this presumes you aren't homeless and have at least a few nickles to rub together. Given that you're also on peakoil.com, you're concerned about this very serious issue... and I think we'd all agree what a unique service this site provides.

Everyone should make a yearly contribution. $10-$15 should be very reasonable to most everyone here. (I've already done my bit!). Frankly, you should be ashamed if you haven't.
My $0.02.

I would even recommend that a users profile have the "I've donated!" tag... peer pressure can be a good thing.
FatherOfTwo
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

Excellent thread, folks!

Unread postby Dvanharn » Fri 11 Mar 2005, 12:47:07

I don't have a lot of money but Euro-American standards, but am wealthy compared to much of the world. I will be making a $20 contribution shortly.

Dave
Dvanharn
Lignite
Lignite

Unread postby Aaron » Fri 11 Mar 2005, 12:52:48

I would even recommend that a users profile have the "I've donated!" tag... peer pressure can be a good thing.

The Donate page lists the members who have donated this month.

And thanks to all our supporters.
The problem is, of course, that not only is economics bankrupt, but it has always been nothing more than politics in disguise... economics is a form of brain damage.

Hazel Henderson
Aaron
Resting in Peace

Go to:

Unread postby EnviroEngr » Fri 11 Mar 2005, 12:59:00

-------------------------------------------
| Whose reality is this anyway!? |
-------------------------------------------
(---------< Temet Nosce >---------)
Heavy Crude

Unread postby Olaf » Fri 11 Mar 2005, 15:32:55

Just donated!! :-D

Olaf
Olaf

Unread postby oowolf » Fri 11 Mar 2005, 15:51:55

Come on, you guys! I live on less than $7000/year and I just ponied-up.
oowolf
Expert
Expert

Return to Technical Support