Donate Bitcoin

Donate Paypal

PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

Reduction in Grocery Bags Good or Bad???

How to save energy through both societal and individual actions.

Re: Reduction in Grocery Bags Good or Bad???

Unread postby GoghGoner » Mon 30 Jun 2008, 16:31:48

VMarcHart wrote:
Ludi wrote:
VMarcHart wrote:
Narz wrote:Plastic bags kill millions of animals a year.
A myth.
Really.Great Pacific Garbage Patch
Yes! There you go reading crap from the internet, believing it is true, and wanting me to believe it too. When was the last time you swimmed the Pacific?

Of the 500,000 albatross chicks born here each year, about 200,000 die, mostly from dehydration or starvation. A two-year study funded by the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency showed that chicks that died from those causes had twice as much plastic in their stomachs as those that died for other reasons.

Albatross are by no means the only victims. An estimated 1 million seabirds choke or get tangled in plastic nets or other debris every year. About 100,000 seals, sea lions, whales, dolphins, other marine mammals and sea turtles suffer the same fate.

I think a millions of deaths is possible and probably grossly underestimated. Also, the reason that you may not have encountered plastic waste is because you haven't been in a place where the current carries it. I saw plenty of plastic waste when I was a sailor since we were throwing it overboard before a ban was issued because of the number of marine deaths and that was over 15 years ago.

Maybe if you care to go on a canoe trip here:

GoghGoner
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

Previous

Return to Conservation & Efficiency