Donate Bitcoin

Donate Paypal

PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

THE Energy Workshops and Conferences Thread

How to save energy through both societal and individual actions.

THE Energy Workshops and Conferences Thread

Unread postby JoeW » Tue 20 May 2008, 18:22:35

Today, I attended a free Energy 101 Workshop seminar targeted at local governments, schools, and hospitals. The first 10 or so slides presented were essentially an introduction to Peak Oil. Of about thirty people in the room, I have no idea how many people actually understood it. However, everyone grasps the concept that energy prices are rising and that we need to do something about it.
In short, the 'solution' being sold was to conserve. Analyze current energy use and trends, analyze utility bills and understand how they are structured, come up with a strategic plan to address it, and take action.
Overall, I found the presentation a bit pedestrian and it digressed on occasion, but I thought it was mostly perfect for the target audience.
I have a meeting tonight where I will try to take the right steps for my organization to begin this process. I hope others do the same.
Does it alarm anyone that the state is now subsidizing what amounts to a 'peak oil in a nutshell' seminar aimed primarily at local governments? Furthermore, free services and funds may be available to assist in energy conservation efforst. I went to this thing expecting to be the individual to bring up fossil fuel depletion ... How naive of me!
I know that we have now identified about ten thousand canaries in the mineshaft, but I think we would have to count this among them ...
Your government is completely aware of the situation. No one wants to panic the people, which is why you don't hear more about the subject.
JoeW
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

Re: Energy 101 Workshop today

Unread postby like_the_dinosaurs » Tue 20 May 2008, 23:09:27

You're right everyone is trying real hard not to say it. The sooner we get the panic over with the better the position we'll be in to deal with it.

I'd say their not going to before its to late.
"The elite DO believe they are worshipping and are being directed by demon creatures." ALEX JONES
like_the_dinosaurs
Peat
Peat

Return to Conservation & Efficiency