Donate Bitcoin

Donate Paypal

PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

What about plastic?

General discussions of the systemic, societal and civilisational effects of depletion.

What about plastic?

Unread postby brainflash » Sun 26 Dec 2004, 22:26:33

I'm new to this site.
What I don't get in this whole debate is why companies and industries that rely on plastic aren't up in arms about the fact that we're burning up the resource necessary to produce plastic! 8O

I realize that many plastic companies are probably really oil companies and that it's all about short vs. long-term thinking. But I still wonder why more people, including those in the plastic industry, aren't pushing for more conversation or alternative energies. Thoughts anyone?
brainflash
Wood
Wood

Unread postby uNkNowN ElEmEnt » Sun 26 Dec 2004, 22:45:58

Its called collective denial. There are a number of "experts" out there distributing erroneous facts. This makes people happy. If people say there is a problem then the investors might see the writing on the wall and bail. If they don't pretend everything is coming up roses, the investors will bail, and they would probably loose their jobs.

Even worse if the CEO or COO say there is a problem, they might be replaced by someone the board of directors can keep in line more.
No one wants it to happen on their watch. The dominant focus is on short-term profits. Keeping the stock holders happy. No one wants to upset that apple cart. Cause then investors will bail.
uNkNowN ElEmEnt
Expert
Expert

Re: What about plastic?

Unread postby TrueKaiser » Mon 27 Dec 2004, 03:43:18

brainflash wrote:I'm new to this site.
What I don't get in this whole debate is why companies and industries that rely on plastic aren't up in arms about the fact that we're burning up the resource necessary to produce plastic! 8O

I realize that many plastic companies are probably really oil companies and that it's all about short vs. long-term thinking. But I still wonder why more people, including those in the plastic industry, aren't pushing for more conversation or alternative energies. Thoughts anyone?

it's not about totally running out of oil. it is just oil ceasing to be a energy source. plastics will still be around cause oil will still be around. though it's use as a energy source will be impossible due to the negative eroei.
though on a side note plastic will become more expensive.
TrueKaiser
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

Return to Peak Oil Discussion