Donate Bitcoin

Donate Paypal

PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

Terminology: "big" "giant" "super-g

Say hello, learn how to register, read the rules, get staff announcements.

Terminology: "big" "giant" "super-g

Unread postby lorenzo » Fri 08 Sep 2006, 19:59:47

Very simple question, does anyone who knows the jargon, know when you talk about a "big" oilfield, a "giant" oilfield and a "super-giant" (or "hyper"/"mega"...?) oifield?

Why do they call a field that delivers 6000bpd a "giant" field? Isn't 6000bpd very little oil? Sorry, total novice on this front.

Need the info for a small text so a source would be helpful. Thx.
The Beginning is Near!
lorenzo
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Re: Terminology: "big" "giant" "sup

Unread postby Dezakin » Fri 08 Sep 2006, 20:47:11

I think it refers to the size of the economically recoverable reserves rather than the production rate at any one time.
Dezakin
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

Unread postby RonMN » Fri 08 Sep 2006, 20:57:00

The field has to withstand the test of time.

The field hyped in the GOM right now (jack) is (at best) 4-5 months worth of world demand. Doesn't that hype tell you something?

The super-giant (Gahwar in saudi) wasn't called a super giant during the first or 2nd well they drilled.
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes.
RonMN
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby mekrob » Sat 09 Sep 2006, 16:04:23

lorenzo wrote:Very simple question, does anyone who knows the jargon, know when you talk about a "big" oilfield, a "giant" oilfield and a "super-giant" (or "hyper"/"mega"...?) oifield?

Why do they call a field that delivers 6000bpd a "giant" field? Isn't 6000bpd very little oil? Sorry, total novice on this front.

Need the info for a small text so a source would be helpful. Thx.

The definations vary from person to person in the industry. But an example would be

Big: 500 million barrels with a capacity of up to a hundred thousand barrels per day at peak production

Giant: 1-2 billion barrels or more: capacity of 100-200 kpd

Super Giant: 10 billion barrels: 1+ mpd

MegaGiant (Ghawar): 50 billion barrels; 5 mpd of capacity.

Those are just rough estimates, although I've never seen anyone say Mega or hypergiant. Ghawar is simply referred as "Goddamn, that's a big f* field".
I want to put out the fires of Hell, and burn down the rewards of Paradise. They block the way to God. I do not want to worship from fear of punishment or for the promise of reward, but simply for the love of God. - Rabia
mekrob
Expert
Expert

Return to Welcome