Donate Bitcoin

Donate Paypal

PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

Blocking winter's north wind

How to save energy through both societal and individual actions.

Blocking winter's north wind

Unread postby HamRadioRocks » Sun 13 Aug 2006, 15:57:42

A common suggestion is to plant coniferous trees and bushes along the north side of a house in order to block winter's coldest winds. The drawback is that it takes years for trees and bushes to grow.

I rent, so I can't install anything permanent. How much would it help to install a snow fence? What other cheap, easy, and temporary solutions are there?
HamRadioRocks
Peat
Peat

Re: Blocking winter's north wind

Unread postby Aimrehtopyh » Tue 15 Aug 2006, 20:09:29

Thermal underwear, sweatshirts, and sleeping caps will allow you to turn that thermostat down quite a bit. Add or remove layers of clothing and keep your bad hands off of the thermostat. Think of clothing as your first line of defense, not your last.

Outlet "blankets" and window film can probably be found in the same aisle at your favorite home improvement store.

I made my basement significantly less drafty by eliminating my old "open flue" natural gas water heater. At current energy prices the electric one I replaced it with costs more to operate , but the added comfort and reduced load on my furnace make it a worthwhile switch. Show your landlord this chart and try to convince him that electric is the way to go. I'm assuming you live in an area where electricity is cheap and reliable (i.e. not CA).

Pay for better appliances yourself if you pay the utilities and are planning on being there for at least five more years. Make sure your landlord shows you three different quotes from three different plumbers before you foot the bill though.
"He who makes no mistakes isn't trying hard enough" Genghis Khan
"Everyone here is bribed not to kill each other." foodnotlawns
Coinflation.com
Aimrehtopyh
Lignite
Lignite

Re: Blocking winter's north wind

Unread postby BrownDog » Tue 15 Aug 2006, 21:38:51

I'm sure your landlord wouldn't mind you caulking any leaks (just don't caulk the windows shut ;) ). Check around the windows, including the trim. Also, check for the bottom side of the baseboards, which can be a large source of air leaks. Same goes for crown moulding to a lesser degree, if you have it.
BrownDog
Lignite
Lignite

Return to Conservation & Efficiency