Donate Bitcoin

Donate Paypal

PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

news link

A forum to either submit your own review of a book, video or audio interview, or to post reviews by others.

news link

Unread postby pup55 » Wed 10 Nov 2004, 16:17:29

http://www.gasandoil.com/goc/features/welcome.html

Click on "features" for a number of entertaining articles, one in particular about PO.

Link no longer exists.
pup55
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

The punch line!!

Unread postby Dvanharn » Wed 10 Nov 2004, 16:52:26

So long as human ingenuity is allowed to flourish, there will be no peak.

These people are clueless - even if the optimists are correct, my grandchildren will see peak oil in their 30's. I'm going to bookmark this site and monitor it as prices rise to see their reaction.

Dave
Dvanharn
Lignite
Lignite

Unread postby UncoveringTruths » Wed 10 Nov 2004, 16:57:27

14-10-04 The world oil industry is in need of nearly $ 300 bn in investment to meet the world demand of 120 mm bpd of oil by 2020, according to experts gathered in an international oil conference in Abu Dhabi.
The massively growing demand of oil along with different crises taken place in oil-rich countries have caused the prices to storm over $ 54. Experts believe that the high prices would not fall down in a short-term period, especially with the rising demand by China and India.

And this from his most recent article must be the ingenuity part.
UncoveringTruths
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

Re: The punch line!!

Unread postby Grimnir » Wed 10 Nov 2004, 17:04:07

So long as human ingenuity is allowed to flourish, there will be no peak.

I always wonder, are people who make statements like this totally ignorant of history, or do they genuinely believe that modern society and humans are fundamentally different from Greece, Rome, the Maya, and all the other advanced civilizations that collapsed or simply disappeared?
Grimnir
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

Unread postby frankthetank » Wed 10 Nov 2004, 17:53:59

You guys don't get it...We have ANWR...There is no need to worry...After we've sunk a few pipes, we'll be swimming in black crude for eons....

:-D :-D :-D :-D :-D

Speaking of, it sure looks like its going to finally be violated...
frankthetank
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby MonteQuest » Wed 10 Nov 2004, 23:32:23

Despite numerous and similar warnings of looming end-of-supply scenarios over the decades, by the 1960s the United States was producing that many bpd, before hitting 11.3 bn in 1970, and on to 10.6 bn a day in 1985.

Human ingenuity sure didn't stop this peak in 1970!
A Saudi saying, "My father rode a camel. I drive a car. My son flies a jet-plane. His son will ride a camel."
MonteQuest
Expert
Expert

Unread postby TrueKaiser » Thu 11 Nov 2004, 00:32:01

frankthetank wrote:You guys don't get it...We have ANWR...There is no need to worry...After we've sunk a few pipes, we'll be swimming in black crude for eons....

:-D :-D :-D :-D :-D

Speaking of, it sure looks like its going to finally be violated...

umm anwr at it's best will provide a months worth of oil for the united states alone.
TrueKaiser
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

Unread postby savethehumans » Thu 11 Nov 2004, 02:17:20

Uh, Frank was being sarcastic....

These people don't surprise me. People just like them believed that the world was flat for centuries, if not millennia....
savethehumans
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

Unread postby JohnDenver » Thu 11 Nov 2004, 08:32:22

Grimnir wrote:I always wonder, are people who make statements like this totally ignorant of history, or do they genuinely believe that modern society and humans are fundamentally different from Greece, Rome, the Maya, and all the other advanced civilizations that collapsed or simply disappeared?

This argument assumes that collapse is the only possible fate for an advanced civilization, and ignores advanced civilizations (like the Chinese) which never did collapse or disappear.
JohnDenver
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby JohnDenver » Thu 11 Nov 2004, 08:56:22

MonteQuest wrote:Human ingenuity sure didn't stop this peak in 1970!

Human ingenuity didn't need to stop the peak in 1970. There was an easy work-around (importing). If the US really needed to stop the peak, they could have easily done it by developing coal liquefaction.
JohnDenver
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby Grimnir » Thu 11 Nov 2004, 16:32:59

JohnDenver wrote:This argument assumes that collapse is the only possible fate for an advanced civilization, and ignores advanced civilizations (like the Chinese) which never did collapse or disappear.

No; the argument in the original article boils down to "if people are smart, it is impossible for society to collapse". I refuted that by pointing to specific examples of smart societies that had collapsed, and made no claims regarding ones that had survived. The correct position is that some smart societies survive, and some collapse despite all their human ingenuity.

I struggle to understand the whole ANWR thing. Surely the administration is smart enough to realize there isn't oil there to supply the US economy for any length of time. Perhaps they're already looking ahead to a day when the US economy will be forced to consume a whole lot less, and the Alaska reserves start to look like a whole lot more? Or maybe they intend to set it aside as a reserve for the military should the Middle East decide to quit selling in the middle of a war.
Grimnir
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

Unread postby JohnDenver » Thu 11 Nov 2004, 21:26:50

Grimnir wrote:I struggle to understand the whole ANWR thing. Surely the administration is smart enough to realize there isn't oil there to supply the US economy for any length of time.

I was under the impression that exploratory drilling hasn't even been done, so we don't have any idea how much is up there. Where are you getting your figures on the size of the ANWR reserves?
JohnDenver
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby savethehumans » Fri 12 Nov 2004, 00:42:19

From the lead story on www.fromthewilderness.com for the 11th, it appears that Bush & Co. are HOPING for Global Warming to melt the Arctic so that they can more easily drill for what they ASSUME are great amounts of oil! :roll:

For them, it is easier to believe a fairy tale than the facts....
savethehumans
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

Return to Book/Media Reviews