Donate Bitcoin

Donate Paypal

PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

Just be careful in your assimilation of Peak Oil data

For discussions of events and conditions not necessarily related to Peak Oil.

Just be careful in your assimilation of Peak Oil data

Unread postby americandream » Sat 22 Apr 2006, 01:37:11

Just be careful in your assimilation of Peak Oil data that you don't develop a new found xenophobia as regards third world overpopulation (seeing as this board is largely a western affair) or Sino-Indian development...there's more to peak oil than simple resource depletion....... the below linked article raises some intriguing questions...perhaps not the concluding bit on abiotoc oil.....but the geo-political perspective on how we manage our planet and share its commonly owned resources is valid....who amongst us is willing to nominate themselves for the die-off:

http://www.williambowles.info/ini/ini-0292.html
americandream
Permanently Banned

Re: Just be careful in your assimilation of Peak Oil data

Unread postby julianj » Sat 22 Apr 2006, 04:03:51

Wiiliam Bowles is an interesting writer and I go to his site often.

He is totally wrong on Peak Oil, and has great difficulties with the concept. I and others engaged him in emailed debate about the subject and he seems to have backed off from the cornucopianism he was spouting then.

About xenophobia: there are a lot of different political views on this board, and I wouldn't generally characterise many of them as anti-third world. It seems to me that we are all on the Titanic together. However the West and a few other countries are the major culprits because of their majority consumption of oil.
julianj
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

Unread postby americandream » Sat 22 Apr 2006, 04:45:12

Its not a case of eschewing the risks of anti-third worldism...................thats a conflict the west (and the world) cannot win (not with the odds at 4 billion to one billion)........................its really about seeing the peak oil issue from unsavoury limits that could be inferred from the data and tone of debate raging in the west, extrapolating them to untenable but likely positions and looking at alternative geo-political arguments such as Bowles to maintain some balance....after all...............................I am sure that many of us in here are keen to avoid the mistake of being led by one sided emotive responses to what is a problem that calls for a collective and rational response................it has to be said that the problem is not a peaking resource as such though in the grand scheme of things, that is a fact that will recur in the course of our history, it is the wasteful manner in which that resource has been used to date.

Do we wish to repeat the same mistakes.....I for one am not nominating myself for die off.
americandream
Permanently Banned

Unread postby seldom_seen » Sat 22 Apr 2006, 05:33:51

What is this thread about? : )
seldom_seen
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby NEOPO » Sat 22 Apr 2006, 05:45:56

Its about "crap" thats what!! ;-)

Eventually Conspiracies and other bedtime stories will no longer bring peace to our inner child.

Everything is connected yet not everything is a conspiracy.

I really liked the wood>coal>oil = dont worry be happy bullshit.
Good for a laugh anyways.

"Be careful" implies that we are somehow being "careless" with "peak oil data" and frankly I do not like the tone ;-)

This guy is in denial and deserves little if any attention.

Moving on.
Xenophobia??? Too late for that gentlemen as that virus was already "airborne" well before PO hit the pop charts.

The PTB are spewing this propaganda but that does not mean I buy it.
I truly feel if someone is dumb enough to believe it then inadvertantly these are the people vying for dieoff ;-)
Yep - just look for the ones with the blank look on their squishy faces, aim and fire!!!

You got all these crackheads ok?
And they are locked in a room with a ton of crack,crack lighters and crack pipes k? ;-)
Sooner or later they will have smoked most of the crack......

You will notice that some of them claw at the windows and doors while others walk around hunched over picking up anything that even vaguely resembles a crack rock, some decide to commit suicide while still others resort to smoking the carpet and the curtains ;-)

Yep real weird how some people choose to go down....real weird indeed.

We should expect no less and probably more dysfunction then ever now.

Yes!! Now finally the whole fucking world can be just like my extended appalachia family ...oh joy ;-)

I wonder how many PO folks have dealt with dysfunction in life as I feel it is one thing that prepares some people for these type of situations.

I see dead people ;-)
NEOPO
Permanently Banned

Unread postby elocs » Sat 22 Apr 2006, 10:46:38

seldom_seen wrote:What is this thread about? : )

What this thread is about is helping you. Even if you disagree with the article and its premise it gives you the opportunity to consolidate and clarify your arguments and beliefs and present them in a way that may convince somebody who disagrees. It would be easy for those who believe in PO and its effects to dismiss those who don't believe as cornucopian or idiots. It's harder to present arguments in an intelligent manner that might change minds. Sure, probably not many, but even a few would be meaningful. So this thread is an opportunity.
elocs
Lignite
Lignite

Unread postby SoothSayer » Sat 22 Apr 2006, 11:30:13

Heck - another zero content thread. Must be something in the air.
SoothSayer
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

Return to Geopolitics & Global Economics