Donate Bitcoin

Donate Paypal

PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

Waving goodbye to oil

General discussions of the systemic, societal and civilisational effects of depletion.

Waving goodbye to oil

Unread postby MonteQuest » Wed 27 Oct 2004, 00:55:08

Soaring oil prices have convinced governments of the need for a change in energy technology - the race to build wave and tidal stream machines is on.

And Martin Wright, managing director of Marine Current Turbine (MCT), said on Sunday the world's first large-scale tidal stream machine would be up and running within months, producing clean, renewable energy.

http://english.aljazeera.net/NR/exeres/ ... 23885C.htm
A Saudi saying, "My father rode a camel. I drive a car. My son flies a jet-plane. His son will ride a camel."
MonteQuest
Expert
Expert

Unread postby Permanently_Baffled » Wed 27 Oct 2004, 04:00:38

I am bit confused about the grand plan with these renewables. If we manage to get a large percentage of our energy from renewables this still is only electricity, how does this help the oil prediciment? Are governments hoping they can actually create enough energy to power some vehicles as well?

Weird......

PB :)
Permanently_Baffled
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

Unread postby Rembrandt » Wed 27 Oct 2004, 05:31:31

Are governments hoping they can actually create enough energy to power

Yes they think so but based on a wrong look at implementing,

The Big problem is that goverments don't realise the cause and effect of EROEI when there is a declining amount of oil. They only think in terms of money and megawatt per hour to implement renewables which at this moment is the limiting factor because we have plenty of oil. But in the future the amount of oil and eroei of renewables will be the limiting factor.

The govermental approach is starting to get a bit of rush now, there is an energy conference by one of the more "leftwing" Parties from the dutch goverment (opposing site) this saturday about nuclear stuff which is quite a stuck debate here to use it or not. Has been so for a while. this is like the first thing in a long time i have seen.
Rembrandt
Peat
Peat

Return to Peak Oil Discussion