Donate Bitcoin

Donate Paypal

PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

Questions about PV Efficiency

How to save energy through both societal and individual actions.

Re: Debunking the myth about PV energy balance

Unread postby blumfeld » Sun 03 Jul 2005, 16:57:13

EnergySpin wrote:Which category does Titanio Oxide falls into (i.e. Multicrystalline, current Thin-film, current Multicrystalline, anticipated, Thin-film anticipated). My impression is that these babies were relatively cheap (financially and energetically) livestock.

As far as I understand it, titanium dioxide does not fall into any of those categories. It is used in dye-sensitized solar cells, which are still in a research stage. They could potentially become much cheaper than current solar cells, but today there still seem to be problems with their long-term stability and temperature stability.

These issues need to be resolved by further research, and I believe that is why dye-sensitized cells have not been included in the comparison of energy payback times. My guess would be that for dye-sensitized cells, an energy payback time of about one year (as for anticipated thin-film cells) could be achieved once they're mass-produced. But currently we don't know when that will happen.

Let me add that I'm not really an expert on solar cells, since I'm working in the department on "thermal systems and buildings", specifically on solar cooling (i.e. heat driven cooling cycles). For details on solar cell development, I would have to ask my colleagues in that department.
blumfeld
Wood
Wood

Unread postby EnergySpin » Sun 03 Jul 2005, 17:08:20

Hi blumfeld
Thanks for the clarification about TiO2. I believe that ETH have done a lot of work on those babes. That URL you sent was really good . I was looking for primary references on EROEIs of the various solar panel types and you provided them. Keep up the good work ...
EnergySpin
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby blumfeld » Sun 03 Jul 2005, 17:57:28

EnergySpin wrote:Hi blumfeld
Thanks for the clarification about TiO2. I believe that ETH have done a lot of work on those babes. .

Yes, a lot of research on dye-sensitized cells is being carried out at ETH Lausanne (Switzerland), since the inventor of this cell type, Michael Graetzel, holds a professorship there. But we also do some work in this field :)

Dye sensitized cell research at Fraunhofer ISE
blumfeld
Wood
Wood

Re: Questions about PV Efficiency

Unread postby johnmarkos » Tue 28 Mar 2006, 14:29:10

Here's an interesting PDF on the energy payback of solar PV.

"Based on models and real data, the idea that PV cannot pay back its energy investment is simply a myth." (Quote is from above document.)

I see someone above already posted this link. Nonetheless, it's nice to have a reminder. :) That is, we have been discussing the feasibility and implications of a possible breakthrough in solar electricity generation. It's nice to be reminded that energy positive solar electricity is a technology we have now. The goal of new research is to bring the financial cost below that of fossil fuel generation systems.
johnmarkos
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

Previous

Return to Conservation & Efficiency