Donate Bitcoin

Donate Paypal

PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

A serious suggestion on saving energy...

How to save energy through both societal and individual actions.

A serious suggestion on saving energy...

Unread postby Caoimhan » Thu 23 Mar 2006, 16:10:06

Go naked!

Not in the Winter... bundle up when it's cold!

But when you'd be running your A/C, utilize your body's very efficient cooling system... the skin.

Turn up the thermostat or turn off your A/C entirely, and invest in some ceiling fans. No need to run them full-blast, either... a gentle breeze generated by the fans at a low setting is more than enough to keep you cool, if you're not covered in clothing.

As a side benefit, you won't be soiling your clothing as fast. That means doing laundry less often, which saves on water and electricity or natural gas.

Some of you will laugh at this, but I've been doing this for years. It works!

Caoimhan
Caoimhan
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

Re: A serious suggestion on saving energy...

Unread postby master_rb » Thu 23 Mar 2006, 16:32:12

whatever works for you
master_rb
Peat
Peat

Unread postby Andy » Thu 23 Mar 2006, 18:40:59

For those of us who grew up in the tropics, that is second nature. You don't need to be fully naked. For males, relaxing at home shirtless and in shorts is very comfortable. Even 100 degrees and 60+ % humidity becomes tolerable. A light layer of sweat is produced that constantly evaporates never really accumulating. Drink plenty of water as well and don't overexert yourself unless deliberately exercising. It gets a little trickier for females but can still be done by the more adventurous.
For ionizing radiation “…the human epidemiological evidence establishes—by any reasonable standard of proof—that there is no safe dose or dose-rate…the safe-dose hypothesis is not merely implausible—it is disproven.” Dr. J.W. Gofman 4
Andy
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

Unread postby MyOtherID » Thu 23 Mar 2006, 19:03:02

In severe heat (over 110F or 40C), put on a damp T-Shirt (soak and wring until damp) and let a fan blow on you. The evaporation is very cooling. The process is called, aptly, "Evaporative cooling".
MyOtherID
Lignite
Lignite

Unread postby Andy » Thu 23 Mar 2006, 20:24:18

It is good to see that there are others who understand that 100 degree farenheit heat, as long as adequate drinking water is available is very livable, maybe not very comfortable but not life threatening. It is the combination of lack of water and extreme heat that makes deserts uninhabitable.

It is also good to see that some consider severe heat as 110 degrees or more. I would say 100 degrees or more in humid environments and 110 or more in dry environments is accurately described as severe.
For ionizing radiation “…the human epidemiological evidence establishes—by any reasonable standard of proof—that there is no safe dose or dose-rate…the safe-dose hypothesis is not merely implausible—it is disproven.” Dr. J.W. Gofman 4
Andy
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

Unread postby Caoimhan » Fri 24 Mar 2006, 10:48:40

Evaporative cooling is greatly enhanced when convection is introduced. This is why a small energy investment in a fan can help a lot.

But yes... for tolerating very high temperatures, the more skin you expose, the cooler you will be. Also, stay in the shade.

Mostly, I was referring to going naked in your own home. Some people have peculiar (in my perspective) hangups about their bodies, and would never go naked in front of others... even family. But if you can overcome your hangups, I recommend it.

Of course, short of full nakedness is near-nakedness. This is almost as good from a cooling perspective, of course, but you'll still end up having to launder the sweat-soaked clothing.
Caoimhan
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

Unread postby Doly » Fri 24 Mar 2006, 10:55:33

Caoimhan wrote:Evaporative cooling is greatly enhanced when convection is introduced. This is why a small energy investment in a fan can help a lot.

I assume you are talking about a folding fan, not those energy-gouging motorized things.
Doly
Expert
Expert

Unread postby Caoimhan » Fri 24 Mar 2006, 13:28:33

Doly wrote:
Caoimhan wrote:Evaporative cooling is greatly enhanced when convection is introduced. This is why a small energy investment in a fan can help a lot.

I assume you are talking about a folding fan, not those energy-gouging motorized things.

Use one of these: http://www.fsec.ucf.edu/Bldg/active/bda ... e/cfan.htm
Caoimhan
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

Unread postby aflatoxin » Sat 25 Mar 2006, 10:22:30

MyOtherID wrote:In severe heat (over 110F or 40C), put on a damp T-Shirt (soak and wring until damp) and let a fan blow on you. The evaporation is very cooling. The process is called, aptly, "Evaporative cooling".

If you try that around here, you will likely freeze to death

I measure wet/dry temperatures on a daily basis. I've seen, numerous times, the wet bulb in the 40"s when the dry bulb is over 100. It's so dry at times that you can regenerate silica gel by leaving it out on a workbench.

When I tried the wet t-shirt trick, I had to go sit in a car in the sun to warm back up.
aflatoxin
Lignite
Lignite

Unread postby MyOtherID » Sat 25 Mar 2006, 13:06:25

aflatoxin wrote:If you try that around here, you will likely freeze to death

I measure wet/dry temperatures on a daily basis. I've seen, numerous times, the wet bulb in the 40"s when the dry bulb is over 100. It's so dry at times that you can regenerate silica gel by leaving it out on a workbench.

When I tried the wet t-shirt trick, I had to go sit in a car in the sun to warm back up.

Glad to hear it works so well. :)

It is more efficient the drier the climate is, so it will be extremely efficient in a desert area but less so in a humid, coastal area.
MyOtherID
Lignite
Lignite

Return to Conservation & Efficiency