Donate Bitcoin

Donate Paypal

PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

oil or gas

Say hello, learn how to register, read the rules, get staff announcements.

oil or gas

Unread postby 27010 » Sat 17 Dec 2005, 19:55:36

When I first stumbled on this site it was because I was wondering if the worlds gas supply was running out. I studied pages upon pages of postings and the general conensus was that oil would go long before gas, which had a good few years yet. Here we are about a year later and its turned full circle, the gas crisis is here, oil has a few years.

Whats the truth, or is this a roundabout we are all on cos we seem to be going in circles?
Peat
Peat

Re: oil or gas

Unread postby Eddie_lomax » Sat 17 Dec 2005, 20:47:35

27010 wrote:When I first stumbled on this site it was because I was wondering if the worlds gas supply was running out. I studied pages upon pages of postings and the general conensus was that oil would go long before gas, which had a good few years yet. Here we are about a year later and its turned full circle, the gas crisis is here, oil has a few years.

Whats the truth, or is this a roundabout we are all on cos we seem to be going in circles?

I wonder the same thing, in the UK our gas supply has peaked a full year earlier then the experts expected it to. While I do not expect it to run out tommorow it does seem to be running out faster then anyone expects, although the world does seem to have plenty of it - all in Russia.

It just doesn't seem credible to me that both the UK and US (and every other country wanting gas) will be laying down a pipeline to Russia, surely they will want to conserve their supplies too ?
Eddie_lomax
Peat
Peat

Unread postby MonteQuest » Sat 17 Dec 2005, 21:02:44

Natural gas will peak about 20 years after oil. What we are seeing right now is regional shortages as North America has peaked in NG production. Most of the world's NG is not traded on a global basis, but is delivered regionally via pipelines. The US only has a few LNG ports, thus cannot take advantage of the cheap NG availability overseas by importation.
A Saudi saying, "My father rode a camel. I drive a car. My son flies a jet-plane. His son will ride a camel."
MonteQuest
Expert
Expert

Unread postby AmericanEmpire » Thu 22 Dec 2005, 14:46:17

North America has peaked in NG production.

Yeah, we seem to start running out of our resources before anyone else.
AmericanEmpire
Coal
Coal

Unread postby Tanada » Fri 23 Dec 2005, 06:00:22

MonteQuest wrote:Natural gas will peak about 20 years after oil. What we are seeing right now is regional shortages as North America has peaked in NG production. Most of the world's NG is not traded on a global basis, but is delivered regionally via pipelines. The US only has a few LNG ports, thus cannot take advantage of the cheap NG availability overseas by importation.

Doesn't that staement assume that Nat Gas will only be used in the future for the same things it is used for today? I know from published reports that South Africa has been converting their SASOL plants to convert Nat Gas to Diesel via Fischer Tropsch, and that one of the big OPEC players at least is doing the same. If the OPEC nation rich in Nat Gas build more F-T plants because oil remains high then Nat Gas depleteion will be accordingly accellerated.

Once we hit PO things will go wonky for all energy resource projections because as oil falls short of demand the other fossil sources will be consumed faster in an attempt to meet demand.
Alfred Tennyson wrote:We are not now that strength which in old days
Moved earth and heaven, that which we are, we are;
One equal temper of heroic hearts,
Made weak by time and fate, but strong in will
To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield.
Tanada
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread postby Quicksilver » Fri 23 Dec 2005, 11:12:01

I don't think it will take long for natural gas to peak after oil. Once oil production starts declining you'll see gas and coal production increase by at least 7% per year which gives a doubling time of 10 years. There's no way natural gas production can double, coal production probably can.
Quicksilver
Peat
Peat

Unread postby BKWorldEnergy » Tue 21 Feb 2006, 02:01:49

Tanada wrote:
MonteQuest wrote:Natural gas will peak about 20 years after oil. What we are seeing right now is regional shortages as North America has peaked in NG production. Most of the world's NG is not traded on a global basis, but is delivered regionally via pipelines. The US only has a few LNG ports, thus cannot take advantage of the cheap NG availability overseas by importation.

Doesn't that staement assume that Nat Gas will only be used in the future for the same things it is used for today? I know from published reports that South Africa has been converting their SASOL plants to convert Nat Gas to Diesel via Fischer Tropsch, and that one of the big OPEC players at least is doing the same. If the OPEC nation rich in Nat Gas build more F-T plants because oil remains high then Nat Gas depleteion will be accordingly accellerated.

Once we hit PO things will go wonky for all energy resource projections because as oil falls short of demand the other fossil sources will be consumed faster in an attempt to meet demand.

GTL is only commercially viable on stranded gas applications. Look at where the gas is. Middle east. Qatar...etc. The do not have the demand for GTL deisel. We do and europe does. But we have no nat gas to spare...only small pockets of associated gas that is otherwise not commercially viable. It is cheaper and easier to move gas in volume as gas, not as deisel...esp since most of the demand for gas is power generation and will continue to be if you look at how many gas fired plants are being built or slated to be built.

GTL for vehicles would only be a temporary solution at best, if it was deployed widely in the middle east. Now if you could get GTL operational here with a few pipelines to the plant of associated gas, pipe it into a market (like maybe supercelan deisel busses in a metro area) then you would have something.

Why do you think Syntroleum hasn't taken off yet? It isnt because it doesnt work...
BKWorldEnergy
Wood
Wood

Return to Welcome