Donate Bitcoin

Donate Paypal

PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

Help - need some data

Discuss research and forecasts regarding hydrocarbon depletion.

Help - need some data

Unread postby DoctorDoom » Sat 26 Jun 2004, 15:32:05

I'm going to work up a new model, and to do that, I'd like to have a breakdown of consumption that's more fine-grained than what's in the BP report. I'm looking to break both US and Rest-Of-World into categories such as the following:

Gasoline for personal vehicles
Gasoline for commercial and civilian government vehicles (e.g. police, fire, taxi)
Civilian aviation fuel
Civilian marine fuels
Fuel oil for home use (e.g. heating and cooking)
Fuel oil burned for electric power generation
Diesel for heavy equipment (construction)
Diesel for farm equipment
Diesel for shipping by truck and train
Feedstock for fertilizer production
Feedstock for petrochemicals and pastics
Military fuels of all kinds
Other uses?

I could use similar info on the other major fossil sources, natural gas and coal. The reason is that different uses are amenable to different levels of both efficiency improvement and substitution. For example, we probably can't use wind power or coal to run aircraft, but we could substitute natural gas or electricity for home uses. There's a lot more efficiency to gain (in the US) from personal vehicles than from petrochemical production. Etc.

If anyone knows of a good and comparatively recent source of this info, I'd appreciate a link, thanks!
DoctorDoom
Expert
Expert

Unread postby smiley » Sat 26 Jun 2004, 15:52:30

Some of the info regarding different types of fuel (heating, jet, gasoline etc.) you can get from the EIA reports, like the weekly petroleum status report.

EIA Petro Status Report

I don't think the info about civilian, military and other types of uses are available. The US military in Iraq buys it fuel directly from Quwait, so I don't think it will show up in any reports.

success

{URL touch up; EE}
smiley
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby gg3 » Sun 27 Jun 2004, 20:14:24

I would think that US military fuel consumption, as an aggregate figure, is public information. Finding it may be difficult only because the Pentagon issues enormous amounts of information.

I'd suggest contacting your Senator's office to make the request, and see if one of their staff people can find it for you. Or contact the offices of any Senator on the Senate Armed Services Committee. Even if you are not in their state, their membership on the committee obliges them to respond to inquiries from any states.

Probably the best way to reach them is via telephone call to their local offices, to speak with one of their local staffers. The staffs in DC are mostly dealing with immediate admin support for the Senators; the staffs in their local offices are there to serve constituents directly.

Then you could try getting similar figures for other countries that would be typical cases, i.e. for categories such as size of country's population, or geographic locale, or type of government, etc. These figures might be published by CIA in some form.

For each figure you get, try to also get total number of troops in the country in question, so you can calculate an average yearly fuel consumption per each person in uniform for each country. This will enable you to extrapolate similar cases to fill in the gaps.
gg3
Expert
Expert

Unread postby stayathomedad » Mon 18 Oct 2004, 21:56:55

the us military data was just summarized in the october aspo newsletter. but, there is something we should consider: the military is not just all about throwing bombs, there is a surgeaon general, an army corps of engineers etc, so how woud you break down such uses, and how would they be done?

this is a big problem in general, deconvolute data.

which, in sort of a form of association disorder brings me back to the aspo newsletter, where the us military fuel consumption was critized as significant on a global level and corresponds to to hegemony in terms of the wide spread deployment of us forces around the world. but then, the us uses about 20mbd, the military about 175 kbd, so that works out as a population average? does it not? which brings us back to the question that was asked. what do people use? and i look at myself, and yes, as I write this sitting in my home, i have three computers and a router running, the dishwasher and the dryer are on, and my wife sits here watching a movie on the home theater system, while our guests are watching tv in the other room. but then guess, what, I do not have a car. not worth having one where I live. also, I work from home, so i need all those computers, to make money, need stuff for imaging, so where do you draw the line and break oil usage down? starting with the oil you need and make and run all those computers? back to the deconvolution issue. and if you didn't have a computer, you wouldn't be reading this, right?
It just gets better every day....
stayathomedad
Peat
Peat

re:

Unread postby duff_beer_dragon » Wed 20 Oct 2004, 13:27:57

http://www.energy-market-intelligence.com/energy_market_intelligence_resources.htm

That might be of use; saw it on the google ads for these forums!
duff_beer_dragon
Lignite
Lignite

Unread postby pup55 » Wed 20 Oct 2004, 13:59:32

You are more patient than I am.

There is a contact number on this link that might be able to help. I think the way to get at the military info is through the contract administration.

http://www.naspensacola.navy.mil/logistics/42901a.pdf
pup55
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Return to Peak oil studies, reports & models