Donate Bitcoin

Donate Paypal

PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

Energy Payback

Discussions of conventional and alternative energy production technologies.

Energy Payback

Unread postby TheBaker » Tue 03 Jan 2006, 23:24:31

Hello Everyone.

I'm new to this site so bear with me if I don't have all the buzz words down yet. I've been doing lots of reading regarding peak oil, energy consumption, etc.

I'm wondering, and I apologize if this has been answered somewhere in other posts. How long does it take a windmill to generate more energy than was used to manufacture, transport, install, etc. the windmill? Is the generator/structure robust and maintenance free that eventually more energy is generated than was consumed making the original equipment and replacing wear items? How about with solar panels or other solar technologies?

Just curious. I believe I read somewhere once that windmills will eventually generate more energy than was used to get them standing (mining, steel making, machining, transporting, installation, etc.) but I'd like that to be reaffirmed if it is true.
TheBaker
Wood
Wood

Re: Energy Payback

Unread postby Dezakin » Tue 03 Jan 2006, 23:51:55

Its true for wind, solar, hydro etc. The main issue with wind is comparative economics because of dispatch problems with wind. Energy payback is a total non-issue for most renewable energy technologies.
Dezakin
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

Return to Energy Technology