Donate Bitcoin

Donate Paypal

PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

Post peak preview - To keep warm, library books sacrificed

For discussions of events and conditions not necessarily related to Peak Oil.

Post peak preview - To keep warm, library books sacrificed

Unread postby joewp » Mon 12 Dec 2005, 12:26:54

By Munir Ahmad
Associated Press
Published December 12, 2005

MUZAFFARABAD, Pakistan -- When night fell after the Oct. 8 quake, many survivors burned broken furniture to stay warm. Some, however, stormed the shattered state-run Khursheed National Library, pulling out books and newspapers to make bonfires.

An estimated 10,000 books went up in smoke that night. Three days later, half the library's books--including Korans--had been turned into ashes. The army then stepped in and stopped the burning.

Mohammed Hanif, a clerk at the library for 14 years, "did not believe it" when his brother came rushing to Hanif's home and told him what was happening at the library.

"But when I rushed there, I saw several people taking books to a nearby park where they were staying with their families after their homes were destroyed," Hanif said. "The books are like my children. I wept when they were throwing the books into the fire.

"I tried to stop them, but they started beating me."

Continued here(link)

Look what happens when people are cold. They'll even burn their sacred religious books. Incidents like this would raise my doomer meter, if it wasn't already pinned to the maximum reading.
Joe P. joeparente.com
"Only when the last tree is cut; only when the last river is polluted; only when the last fish is caught; only then will they realize that you cannot eat money." - Cree Indian Proverb
joewp
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Re: Post peak preview - To keep warm, library books sacrific

Unread postby lawnchair » Mon 12 Dec 2005, 13:20:25

Indeed sad..

Though, as someone who has hauled many un-re-touched 50-year collections of National Geographic (volunteering at sales, from each set of grandparents, and around my parent's house multiple times), I've secretly been looking forward to the day I have to start throwing them in the stove for heat. :lol:
lawnchair
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

Unread postby eastbay » Mon 12 Dec 2005, 16:16:44

They were probably not the most devout Muslims if they were burning Korans when there were still other books siting on shelves waiting to be ignited.

(Warning: possible thread hijack)

Speaking of National Geographics, I too once inherited a nice collection dating from the late 20's to the about 1990. I finally decided I couldn't afford to drag them around the country anymore. I called all over, placed an ad or two and no one responded to take them off my hands for free. I finally ended up recycling the entire collection. It was a very sad day but I really had no choice. I bet I'm not the only one who had to make that sad decision.
Got Dharma?

Everything is Impermanent. Shakyamuni Buddha
eastbay
Expert
Expert

Unread postby Windmills » Mon 12 Dec 2005, 16:22:48

I've often thought about that very scenario. As always, the results will depend on how PO plays itself out. The loss of knowledge and history is a real tragedy.

It should provide some incentive to create personal libraries. Carrie and I will be working to build a small library of information on matters we feel are of practical and immediate value. The constraints of time, space, and money prevent much more than that.
Windmills
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

burn everything exept shakespeare

Unread postby Anthrobus » Mon 12 Dec 2005, 16:58:11

hello,

my first posting here, ahem!!

ok, your thread reminds me of Thronton Wilders "The skin of our teeth". Mr. caveman ist out for work and the ice-age is fast approaching. He is cabeling home to his wife "don't worry about the cold, just keep the children warm; burn everything exept shakespeare"

bye,

Anthropus
Anthrobus
Peat
Peat

Unread postby elroy » Mon 12 Dec 2005, 18:09:57

Sometimes I wonder what kind of level of openness, tolerance, and progressiveness our society (dutch) would fall to if we no longer had the luxury we enjoy now. It's scary.
elroy
Lignite
Lignite

Unread postby Schneider » Mon 12 Dec 2005, 20:33:37

Windmills wrote:I've often thought about that very scenario. As always, the results will depend on how PO plays itself out. The loss of knowledge and history is a real tragedy.

It should provide some incentive to create personal libraries. Carrie and I will be working to build a small library of information on matters we feel are of practical and immediate value. The constraints of time, space, and money prevent much more than that.

So true..

Dunno for you,but to me,burning books seem like burning our own soul..it's like losing the precious knowledges so much people suffured to pass it to us...

Since i discovered peak oil,i started a small library (thoses knowing about the thread i made in "planning for the future" forum know what i mean)even if i rent..Since i have a limited space,i'm trying to fill my small 5 stages library with the most important stuff with as much "balance" i can put inside it..

All this because i fear that knowledges inside public libraries will be left aside for immediat survival...

Schneider
French-Canadian
(Schneider's Books For The Future)
(Schneider's Big 5 Basic Advice For The Newcomers)
[url=http://youtube.com/watch?v=vL7Jo_1Z3Y8]Free Hugs!!![/
Schneider
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

Unread postby lowem » Tue 13 Dec 2005, 00:18:41

Man, that sounds just like a certain movie not that long ago.
Did they burn those law books first?
Live quotes - oil/gold/silver
lowem
Expert
Expert

Unread postby omo » Tue 13 Dec 2005, 00:33:53

I'm ssure we have all scientific work in electronic formats so there's nothing to worry about. As for other literature I personally don't care but most of it sure too has long been scanned and backuped or will be soon if anywone cares.
omo
Wood
Wood

Unread postby eastbay » Tue 13 Dec 2005, 01:46:52

I'm sure we have all scientific work in electronic formats so there's nothing to worry about.

Omo,

At some point in the not-too-very-distant-future, electronically stored data will be inaccessible to most people due to increasingly scarce oil and the high cost of producing and powering computers.

I can image deeply poverty stricken Urdu speaking Pakistani's, among a great many others, will be accessing information in printed form only (if they're lucky) unless they've set fire to it all to keep warm or to boil water... heh.
Got Dharma?

Everything is Impermanent. Shakyamuni Buddha
eastbay
Expert
Expert

Unread postby skateari » Tue 13 Dec 2005, 03:21:21

lowem wrote:Man, that sounds just like a certain movie not that long ago.

Yeah, they had that scene in the movie "The Day After Tommorow", which I just so happened to see the day before yesterday.
skateari
Coal
Coal

Unread postby peaker_2005 » Tue 13 Dec 2005, 03:27:37

skateari wrote:
lowem wrote:Man, that sounds just like a certain movie not that long ago.

Yeah, they had that scene in the movie "The Day After Tommorow", which I just so happened to see the day before yesterday.

I always loved that line.

"Hey, there's a whole section of law books down here that we can burn".

:lol:
peaker_2005
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

Unread postby The_Virginian » Tue 13 Dec 2005, 03:53:14

sorry,

poor example of Post PO world, it was an E-quake, and desprate people needed to keep warm IMMEDIATLY..I doubt half of them even noticed what they were burning in the cold darkness...just trying to keep thier numb neiter parts from frostbite mates.

PO is hitting NOW and the rising popularity of wood stoves etc. shows an non-catostrophic/gradual change...
[urlhttp://www.youtube.com/watchv=Ai4te4daLZs&feature=related[/url] "My soul longs for the candle and the spices. If only you would pour me a cup of wine for Havdalah...My heart yearning, I shall lift up my eyes to g-d, who provides for my needs day and night."
The_Virginian
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

Unread postby omo » Tue 13 Dec 2005, 05:20:46

eastbay wrote:I'm sure we have all scientific work in electronic formats so there's nothing to worry about.

Omo,

At some point in the not-too-very-distant-future, electronically stored data will be inaccessible to most people due to increasingly scarce oil and the high cost of producing and powering computers.

I can image deeply poverty stricken Urdu speaking Pakistani's, among a great many others, will be accessing information in printed form only (if they're lucky) unless they've set fire to it all to keep warm or to boil water... heh.

I was referring to the idea of loss of our scientific work. If material is saved we could always print in quantities market demands.

This is true that if situation demands books can get burned but nothing like this is possible on a large scale. At least I know we in Finland won't be burning books for heating unless whole our land becomes a desert.
omo
Wood
Wood

Unread postby thor » Tue 13 Dec 2005, 05:53:04

I don't think this is alarming yet, provided people burn stupid novels. But school and university textbooks are off limits.

On a side note, look at the crap you get in your mailbox, all those brochures, folders, and catalogues . Just stack these "books" in your garage and you'll have a sizable source of fuel for the stove.
thor
Coal
Coal

Unread postby Doly » Tue 13 Dec 2005, 09:25:50

joewp wrote:Look what happens when people are cold. They'll even burn their sacred religious books.

Burning sacred books isn't such a loss.
Doly
Expert
Expert

Return to Geopolitics & Global Economics