Donate Bitcoin

Donate Paypal

PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

Energy and the U.S. way of life

How to save energy through both societal and individual actions.

Energy and the U.S. way of life

Unread postby jkolenovsky » Sat 10 Dec 2005, 01:24:40

I got a license plate that says "No Oil" and I'm getting a rear license plate frame that has a 120 character scrolling message around the plate. Maybe a few tailgaters will think about it.

Somewhere on the web this week, I read this - "George, you are not the only one on this planet". Funny. He thought he was. Must have been the denial classes he took in 12 step.

I may be an idealist but I sincerely hope we all come together in "community" regarding energy conservation and our lifestyle way of living.
jkolenovsky
Wood
Wood

Re: Energy and the U.S. way of life

Unread postby cynthia » Sat 10 Dec 2005, 02:50:45

Welcome to this forum jkolenovsky. I appreciate your awareness.
I find it helpful for pstarr to remind us the folly of all of our oil consuming ways.
I know I need that reminder as I now (as of yesterday) have a bicycle that is primed and awaiting my decision to ride it more than driving the car.
So will I drive or ride my bike? Please stay posted for further information.
Best,
Cynthia
cynthia
Coal
Coal

Unread postby dub_scratch » Sat 10 Dec 2005, 03:18:49

jkolenovsky wrote:I got a license plate that says "No Oil" and I'm getting a rear license plate frame that has a 120 character scrolling message around the plate. Maybe a few tailgaters will think about it.

I may be an idealist but I sincerely hope we all come together in "community" regarding energy conservation and our lifestyle way of living.

jkolenovsky, you seem like someone with good intentions, and I hope criticism here does not discourage your participation on this forum. But the 'NO OIL' license plate is an expression of the cognitive dissonance that IS our problem with oil. It is also demonstrates the ambivalence we all have with oil.

I've come to terms with my own ambivalence with oil in this way: I love petrol and the power it gives the human species, but I hate-- no despise-- the way we are using that power. I respect oil producers (extractors) because of their professionalism and reasonable self interest at making a buck on the stuff. But I cannot respect my neighbors who waste this stuff while paying too little for so much potential energy. I love to buy stock and invest in oil companies, but am repulsed by buying their motor fuel product.

I do not have an anti-oil statement expressed on my car. I just stopped driving the stupid thing and learned to respect the greatness of petroleum.
dub_scratch
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

Unread postby Frank » Sat 10 Dec 2005, 10:18:33

dub_scratch wrote:I've come to terms with my own ambivalence with oil in this way: I love petrol and the power it gives the human species, but I hate-- no despise-- the way we are using that power. I respect oil producers (extractors) because of their professionalism and reasonable self interest at making a buck on the stuff. But I cannot respect my neighbors who waste this stuff while paying too little for so much potential energy. I love to buy stock and invest in oil companies, but am repulsed by buying their motor fuel product.

I do not have an anti-oil statement expressed on my car. I just stopped driving the stupid thing and learned to respect the greatness of petroleum.

If everyone could embrace your philosophy then we'd be getting somewhere. Unfortunately oil is continued to be viewed as a commodity only, with little recognition of its true value to our way of life.
Frank
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

Unread postby Windmills » Sat 10 Dec 2005, 14:01:15

jkolenovsky,

I think anything that sparks a conversation, gets people thinking, and raises awareness is a positive thing, even something as simple as a license plate phrase. As small as it is, it's demonstrates much more awareness and action than the overwhelming majority of people have or do. The community can't begin to solve a problem until everyone understands that there is one.
Windmills
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

Unread postby Ludi » Sat 10 Dec 2005, 21:06:11

j, I hope you'll compose and print out some brochures to hand out to people who ask you about your license plate, so you can actually educate people about peak oil.
Ludi

Return to Conservation & Efficiency