Donate Bitcoin

Donate Paypal

PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

Gulf Stream Energy

Discussions of conventional and alternative energy production technologies.

Gulf Stream Energy

Unread postby NOLA » Sat 05 Nov 2005, 02:58:13

Take a look at this
www.gtsav.gatech.edu/outreach/workshop/ ... hoover.pdf
Copy and paste the link Also google Gulf Stream Energy

The basis idea is toplace turbines in the gulfstream of the coast of Florida. The technology appears sound and construction looks set to begin in the near future.
If fully scaled, Gulf Stream turbines could provide a massive amount of energy for Florida and the US. Of course, it would take a while for such a project to be completed and might not have a real effect for a long time. However, it certainlywould reduce or dependence on natural gas for electricity (NG provides about 17% of our electricity needs).

Two other articles that I have read involve using bacteria to produce electricity for water treatment plants, this way they would not have to draw from the grid, indeed they could even produce electricity. The main significance of this is that 5% of the US's electrical energy is used to treat waste water. Thats a small but significant reduction in our demand.
The second article is from The Economist. It appears to me to be the same concept as the so called solar tower in Australia except it uses wind. Take a look it was in Spetember's issue.
NOLA
Wood
Wood

Re: Gulf Stream Energy

Unread postby Tanada » Sat 05 Nov 2005, 08:08:34

NOLA wrote:Take a look at this
www.gtsav.gatech.edu/outreach/workshop/ ... hoover.pdf
Copy and paste the link Also google Gulf Stream Energy

The basis idea is toplace turbines in the gulfstream of the coast of Florida. The technology appears sound and construction looks set to begin in the near future.
If fully scaled, Gulf Stream turbines could provide a massive amount of energy for Florida and the US. Of course, it would take a while for such a project to be completed and might not have a real effect for a long time. However, it certainlywould reduce or dependence on natural gas for electricity (NG provides about 17% of our electricity needs).

Two other articles that I have read involve using bacteria to produce electricity for water treatment plants, this way they would not have to draw from the grid, indeed they could even produce electricity. The main significance of this is that 5% of the US's electrical energy is used to treat waste water. Thats a small but significant reduction in our demand.
The second article is from The Economist. It appears to me to be the same concept as the so called solar tower in Australia except it uses wind. Take a look it was in Spetember's issue.

If this scheme were ever put into large scale effect I doubt Europe would love us. All the energy we extract from the GS off Florida is energy that will not be delivered to Northern Europe in the form of a heat source. If you drop their effective temperature 3 degrees C by doing this their winter heating bills will go sky high, not to mention that the preferred method of heating is combustion of Natural Gas. So Florida gets electricity, Europe gets higher heating bills and the World gets extra CO2 emmissions.
Just my opinion, I only play educated environmentalist on line it isn't my full time job.
Alfred Tennyson wrote:We are not now that strength which in old days
Moved earth and heaven, that which we are, we are;
One equal temper of heroic hearts,
Made weak by time and fate, but strong in will
To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield.
Tanada
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread postby NOLA » Sun 06 Nov 2005, 16:57:55

Obviously we wouldn't rely solely on the Gulfstream for power. Current plans to extract energy from the Gulfstream would consume less then .1% of the total energy avaiblable in the ocean. Europe would not be reduced to a frozen winterland anytime soon. Even if a developer were to set up turbines on a scale vast ennough as to have such an effect, it would take years to produce the hundreds of thousands of turbines required. I am also pretty sure that Europe would not just sit by and let watch this all happen.
"If you drop their effective temperature 3 degrees C by doing this their winter heating bills will go sky high, not to mention that the preferred method of heating is combustion of Natural Gas. So Florida gets electricity, Europe gets higher heating bills and the World gets extra CO2 emmissions."

Actually the world will suffer from the same amount of CO2 emmissions even if this project were implimented on a massive scale. Heres why: The worlds natural gas supply is finite and, baring some unforseen miracle, I am quite sure will be used to the fullest extent possible. All the "extra CO2" is already going into the air, if the scenario you described were to occur, even though it is not, we'd just be putting that CO2 in the atmosphere a bit faster.
NOLA
Wood
Wood

Unread postby Frank » Sun 06 Nov 2005, 21:10:04

Great idea. I wish them well. The best part of this scheme is that there'll be little/no crap from rich seaside landowners complaining about spoiled views like at Cape Wind. We need to use more renewable energy sources!
Frank
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

Unread postby Aedo » Sun 06 Nov 2005, 22:54:55

Looks like a good idea - wonder how much maintenance will they require due to fouling?
Aedo
Peat
Peat

Unread postby WisJim » Mon 07 Nov 2005, 11:34:54

NOLA wrote:Two other articles that I have read involve using bacteria to produce electricity for water treatment plants, this way they would not have to draw from the grid, indeed they could even produce electricity. The main significance of this is that 5% of the US's electrical energy is used to treat waste water. Thats a small but significant reduction in our demand.

In years past, many large sewage treatment plants used the methan generated in the plant to power engine-driven generators to produce electricity to run the plant and provide surplus for other uses. One of those things that seems to have fallen by the wayside in our through-away society.
WisJim
Expert
Expert

Unread postby NOLA » Wed 09 Nov 2005, 01:43:13

The best part of this scheme is that there'll be little/no crap from rich seaside landowners complaining about spoiled views like at Cape Wind.

Thats one thing I really like about this scheme. No NIMBY. So help me that Cape Wind thing got my blood boiling, and to think I live near those people...

Elijah Jones
Thats sounds like a great idea. It has always seemed to me that the technical capability to produce our electricity from sources other than fossil fuels has been there for awhile, we have just been too lazy and stupid to make the transition. If a lot more people would take a much more serious look into Peak Oil then ideas like that would be in the real world in no time. Oh well , got to keepspreading the message.

WisJim
I didn't realize the system was already in place. Do you know of any specific place. I'm shocked that this isn't standard at all treatment plants. You'd think that the eventual savings on electricty would make it worth the initial cost.
NOLA
Wood
Wood

Unread postby frankthetank » Wed 09 Nov 2005, 10:57:24

ISn't the depth about 3000ft off the coast of FLorida? Do they plan on anchoring this turbines to the seafloor?

Good idea to use this 'free' energy, just might be hard to get up and running.
frankthetank
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby NOLA » Wed 09 Nov 2005, 19:55:29

Yes they are tethered to the seafloor. The turbines are then all connected at the bottom and, in one scenario, the cable would simply run to the shore.
The concept has actually been around for a while its just now that a really efficient and economically practical turbine came around.
NOLA
Wood
Wood

Return to Energy Technology