Donate Bitcoin

Donate Paypal

PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

World depletion rates

Discuss research and forecasts regarding hydrocarbon depletion.

World depletion rates

Unread postby Taskforce_Unity » Wed 21 Sep 2005, 19:48:37

One of the most important things to model is the future depletion rate for the whole world.

With depletion rate in this sense i mean

World production 2005 = current production 2004 - depletion 2005 + new production 2005

My guess is that this depletion rate lies a bit above 2 mb/d for the whole world.

I have no way off telling how this will evolve so it would be cool if anyone with more knowledge on "real" modelling could do some sort of analysis on it. I am willing to provide the data / numbers i have as always.
Taskforce_Unity
Coal
Coal

Re: World depletion rates

Unread postby Armageddon » Fri 28 Oct 2005, 19:20:27

if depletion rates are 2 mbpd, and we need an additional 5 % of new oil for economic growth, taking in account for new fields ( not sure if there are any ) , where does that leave us for 2006 ? Is it possible we have peaked at 84 mbpd ?
Armageddon
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby Cool Hand Linc » Fri 28 Oct 2005, 21:57:34

can you send me the numbers?

[email protected]
Peace out!

Cool Hand Linc 8)
Cool Hand Linc
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

Unread postby Antimatter » Sat 29 Oct 2005, 01:02:35

You can get a rough handle on this by taking the inverse of the reserve to production ratio and multiplying by 100 to get it in percentage terms. For a world R/P ratio of 40 years this gives 2.5%/year. For 84mb/d this is 2.1mb/d which is close to your estimate. This is really just percentage of remaining reserves produced each year but should give a decent approximation when used accross a large cluster of fields. The assumption is a linear relationship between remaining reserves and production rate, ie. produce 2.5% of the reserves, production falls by 2.5%.

Non-OPEC non-FSU has an R/P of 13.5 years which suggests a decline rate of 7.4%/year, at 36mb/d this would be 2.6mb/d per year. Which is higher than the world estimate so maybe this doesnt work. :!:
"Production of useful work is limited by the laws of thermodynamics, but the production of useless work seems to be unlimited."
Antimatter
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

Unread postby Taskforce_Unity » Sun 30 Oct 2005, 10:02:11

Interesting calculation antimatter.

Any speculations as to the increase in absolute depletion rates?
Taskforce_Unity
Coal
Coal

Unread postby RedViking » Sun 30 Oct 2005, 18:42:59

Antimatter wrote:.......so maybe this doesnt work. :!:

The US has had an RP between 8 and 16 for the last 80 years (source Jean LaHerrere). This gives a decline between 6 and 12 percent.

It doesn't work since you don't take reserve growth into account.
RedViking
Wood
Wood

Unread postby Taskforce_Unity » Tue 08 Nov 2005, 03:36:57

The question is wether reserve growth is an issue or not...

Anyway some new info:

Depletion rates Type I + II + III:

Exxon-Mobil

4-6%

Shell

4-5% (necessary new production to reach 120 mb/d in 2030 --> 90 mb/d)

IEA

8%-10% (necessary new production to reach 120 mb/d in 2030 --> 210 mb/d, check out this presentation slide 14

Depletion rates type II + III (current)

Skrebowski - 3.3 mb/d per year

PONL - 2.4 mb/d per year

So who is right.. If IEA is right then we peak in the coming years, if SKrebowks is right we also do.

I don't think we are depleting that fast though..
Taskforce_Unity
Coal
Coal

Unread postby Tanada » Tue 08 Nov 2005, 06:37:02

Taskforce_Unity wrote:The question is wether reserve growth is an issue or not...

Anyway some new info:

Depletion rates Type I + II + III:

Exxon-Mobil

4-6%

Shell

4-5% (necessary new production to reach 120 mb/d in 2030 --> 90 mb/d)

IEA

8%-10% (necessary new production to reach 120 mb/d in 2030 --> 210 mb/d, check out this presentation slide 14

Depletion rates type II + III (current)

Skrebowski - 3.3 mb/d per year

PONL - 2.4 mb/d per year

So who is right.. If IEA is right then we peak in the coming years, if SKrebowks is right we also do.

I don't think we are depleting that fast though..

But you are completly ignoring dynamic effects, so far as I can tell. While Skrebowski projects 2005 depletion at 3.3 mb/d I have not seen anyone project the effects when everyone goes into depletion. Well that's not quite accurate, if world depletion is 4% after everyone enters the slide and we top out at 90 mb/d we would have 86.4 mb/d the second year and 82.9 mb/d the third year, which is real demand destruction because we currently consume more than that.

This is why I don't beleive in the 'bumpy plateau' so many people have put their faith in as a warning sign. When the super giant fields in SA hit depletion we are going into significant world wide decline.

It only matters up to a point how much reserves you have, geology limits how fast you can pump your reserves especially if most of them are one field.
Alfred Tennyson wrote:We are not now that strength which in old days
Moved earth and heaven, that which we are, we are;
One equal temper of heroic hearts,
Made weak by time and fate, but strong in will
To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield.
Tanada
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread postby Antimatter » Tue 08 Nov 2005, 07:07:38

hmm...would it be possible to do a retrospective analysis i.e. calculate gross production from projects that came online in say 2004, and use this to figure out decline?

Of course OPEC quotas etc will screw this up but it should work for non-OPEC if the data is avaliable.

I also get the feeling this is somethat that, on a world wide scale, only changes gradually over time as old fields decline and new ones are brought online (often at higher depletion rates).
"Production of useful work is limited by the laws of thermodynamics, but the production of useless work seems to be unlimited."
Antimatter
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

Return to Peak oil studies, reports & models