Donate Bitcoin

Donate Paypal

PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

COMPACT FLOURESCENT LIGHT BULBS

Discussions of conventional and alternative energy production technologies.

Re: COMPACT FLOURESCENT LIGHT BULBS

Unread postby lotrfan55345 » Fri 14 Oct 2005, 16:29:47

80% of the lighbulbs in our house is compact fourescent or LED.
lotrfan55345
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

Unread postby strider3700 » Fri 14 Oct 2005, 19:48:05

How are the LED lights? How much are they these days? I have Led solar lanterns out front and a couple of LED nightlights but I haven't seen any regular power lights made with LED's yet.
shame on us, doomed from the start
god have mercy on our dirty little hearts
strider3700
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby dunewalker » Fri 14 Oct 2005, 20:48:53

My favorite off-grid supplier, Backwoods Solar, only offers LED lights in 12 volt DC, not 120 volt AC http://www.backwoodssolar.com/Catalogpa ... D%20LIGHTS
"Wilderness is another civilization apart from our own." - H.D. Thoreau
dunewalker
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

Unread postby FoolYap » Sat 15 Oct 2005, 17:08:22

SolarDave wrote:
NonToxic wrote:About 2 years ago. The wife did not like them at first now since she is used to them it's no problem.

Wives seem to be universally against them. Why?

Mine isn't; she loves them. Specifically, loves that they use so much less power.

If I had to guess, many people who think they hate them had a bad experience with the older models a decade ago, which were very slow to come to full brightness, and were a harsh white. The Philips CFs we use are instant-on for about 80% brightness, and are "warm" white. Personally, I think they look as good as incandescents.

--Steve
FoolYap
Coal
Coal

Unread postby deconstructionist » Mon 17 Oct 2005, 09:31:08

i just don't like the feeling of flourescent lighting... cold and institutional... for our 900+sq ft. apt, wifey and i use about 170kWh per month, which translates to an electric bill of about $28. we get 30% of our electricity from wind power and 70% from small hydro (www.newwindenergy.com). coupled with the fact that we use our car very very little, i don't feel too badly about not heeding the EPA's call to switch out just one light bulb in my home to CF... though i will probably buy a few tonite on our errand running mission...
UNLESS
deconstructionist
Coal
Coal

Unread postby strider3700 » Mon 17 Oct 2005, 12:01:31

deconstructionist wrote:i just don't like the feeling of flourescent lighting... cold and institutional...

Here at work I have those 4 ft long tubes and it definitely gives that cold feeling. My CF's at home are much warmer feeling, I think it's all in the color choice. Stay away from the "ultra bright" bulbs though, they gave off that harsh white light
shame on us, doomed from the start
god have mercy on our dirty little hearts
strider3700
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby Aedo » Mon 17 Oct 2005, 20:22:10

strider3700 wrote:Here at work I have those 4 ft long tubes and it definitely gives that cold feeling.

You can buy daylight balanced tubes that make the light in a building almost impossible to distinguish from natural light - it is well worth doing as it really improves working conditions. Power consumption is the same, cost slightly higher.
Aedo
Peat
Peat

Unread postby Devil » Tue 18 Oct 2005, 05:04:45

There are three problems with fluorescent tubes/bulbs.

1. Each one contains a small quantity of mercury, which is highly toxic and easily enters into the environment and food chain.
2. Each one contains a mixture of phosphors, some of which are highly toxic
3. Each one (except those in tanning beds, insect catchers and suchlike) have the glass envelope containing lead, a toxic heavy metal, to reduce ultraviolet emissions. Lead glass is slightly soluble and can leach out in a landfill.

By all means use fluorescent lights, but never break them at the end of life and dispose of them as the hazardous waste which they are to an approved chemicals waste site or similar.
Devil
Devil
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

Unread postby Liamj » Tue 18 Oct 2005, 07:31:33

ta devil. Knew about the mercury, not the lead glass and phosphors... bring on LEDs.

SolarDave wrote:
NonToxic wrote:About 2 years ago. The wife did not like them at first now since she is used to them it's no problem.

If changing lightbulbs comprises a v.visible portion of male homemaking effort, a bulb that needs replacing less often could be interpreted as skiving.
Liamj
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

Unread postby clv101 » Sun 30 Oct 2005, 17:18:01

I've just written an article today on compact fluorescents and how we should dump incandescents: Lights Out For Incandescents.

Interesting points there devil about the toxins, I guess incandescents are relatively benign from that point of view?
"Everything is proceeding as I have foreseen." The Emperor (Return of the Jedi)
The Oil Drum: Europe
clv101
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

Unread postby Rabbit » Sun 30 Oct 2005, 18:02:56

SolarDave wrote:

Mine did not like the way they look. I been using them in some places for 4 years now. The newer ones work a lot better than those just 2 years old. I have tossed out the old ones. In the bathroom was the last place we still had standard lights. The wife would not let me replace her pretty round bulbs with ugly "squigle" light. A bout two months ago I found some matching round CF bulbs and they only pull 9 watts each! The standard lights were 40 watts each and she has 6 of them in the bathroom. So usage in the bathroom dropped from 240 to 54 watts when the lights are on. That was the last place other than the refer and the oven. Everywhere else we have CF or 4' long floressent. Our electric bill averages $110 per month, including a peak this year of $300 during the summer. We have a 1850 sq ft house and my wife works at home so she uses electrisity all day while she works.

I also use CF in the outside lights and keep them on motion sencors so they turn off when not in use.

I also think something that helps is our new referigator. It's a top of the line sears model that had a very low energy usage. We noticed a small drop on our bill after replacing our old one. It was 10 years old and seemed to run most of the day.

I am seriously looking in to installing a 2KW solar system on the roof in the near future. With the cost of nateral gas we are planning to cut back on heat this winter. We have switched to electric matress pads on our beds and so far have not turned on the heater.
Rabbit
Volunteer
Volunteer

Unread postby drew » Sun 30 Oct 2005, 19:13:07

They're not cheap up here, around 5 or 6 bucks a pop. We bought 70 bucks worth today, and have bought others before. I don't mind the light quality and the new ones come on quick. We have too many older halogen stand ups though, and mini halogen spots in our ceiling and bathroom. At least they are more efficient than regular incandescant. I was looking for the new 120v leds today but home d and crappy t didn't have any. I recall a flyer ad for them-maybe rona-they were expensive but ridiculously low wattage.

Drew
drew
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

Unread postby Madpaddy » Mon 31 Oct 2005, 04:28:26

When I changed all my lights to CFLs 2 years ago, I knocked 40% off my electric bill. They have all types now dimmable as pointed out and even the small candle effect bulbs. Incandescents should be banned.

And if you are a cheapskate like me keep some receipts for your CFLs and as they do eventually start to blow you can go back with the bulb and pretend it was one you bought recently. :razz:
Madpaddy
Expert
Expert

Unread postby Brandon » Sun 06 Nov 2005, 00:04:18

I've replaced most with the squiggly bulbs. They save energy, but most importantly they last a long time. I hate changing bulbs..
Brandon
Wood
Wood

Unread postby ECM » Sun 06 Nov 2005, 00:34:05

I only have one light that is on for more than a few minutes per day and I replaced it with a CF. Utilities are included in my rent so I see no savings from that. However, since I am using less electricity I am cutting down on air pollution.
ECM
Lignite
Lignite

Previous

Return to Energy Technology