Donate Bitcoin

Donate Paypal

PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

THE Electric Vehicle (EV) Thread pt 15

Discussions of conventional and alternative energy production technologies.

Re: THE Electric Vehicle (EV) Thread pt 15

Unread postby careinke » Sun 14 Apr 2024, 01:41:25

Tesla is now offering a one month free trial of its FSD 12.3.4 self driving system. It used to have a $299/month subscription, but they just reduced it to $99/month! Hell, that's a third of my monthly internet charges. When BTC tops out this cycle I am so buying a Tesla. Perfect timing as my old age continues.

Average accident rates per miles driven (Air bags deploy)

1. ICE vehicles = 600,000mi/accident
2. Tesla electric vehicles without FSD = 1,200,000mi/accident (still have basic collision avoidance, and data is collected for the FSD AI).
3. Tesla electric vehicles with full FSD = 6,000,000mi/accident (over a billion miles of data has been collected worldwide, all feeding the FSD AI).

Peoples brains are WAY glitchier than AI brains. How many times have you taken your eyes off the road, tuning a radio, making a call, looking for a road sign, turning your head to check for blind spots, etc, etc? Tesla's AI checks everything multiple times per second.

At USAA, Tesla insurance is about 1/2 of my 2019 Toyota Corolla insurance, and a little cheaper still if I use the Tesla offered insurance.

Even at the cheaper subscription rate, Tesla will still be making obscene profits off of FSD and subscriptions will probably more than triple. So, when crypto winter hits, I plan to take some of my profits and buy TESLA stocks. I hope it's still being beaten up by Trad Investers, but I doubt it.

Lots of good YouTube videos out there showing the new FSD system at work.

Peace
Cliff (Start a rEVOLution, grow a garden)
careinke
Volunteer
Volunteer

Unread postby theluckycountry » Sun 14 Apr 2024, 03:35:30

careinke wrote:When BTC tops out this cycle I am so buying a Tesla. Perfect timing as my old age continues.

You're not thinking big enough, you gotta think Lambo if you wanta see the da moon.

https://www.youtube.com/shorts/cPgfJIdB0KI

après moi le déluge
theluckycountry
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby careinke » Sun 14 Apr 2024, 05:20:25

theluckycountry wrote:
careinke wrote:When BTC tops out this cycle I am so buying a Tesla. Perfect timing as my old age continues.

You're not thinking big enough, you gotta think Lambo if you wanta see the da moon.

https://www.youtube.com/shorts/cPgfJIdB0KI

Way too hard getting in and out of. I'd look really stupid rolling in and out of one of those. I prefer something I can get into comfortably and tell it to take me to my sons house while I research on my laptop. Sort of like a limo driver, but I don't have to give it a Christmas bonus and pay half of its SS taxes, not to mention his salary. :roll:

Actually, I never had much use for vehicles other than transportation.

Peace
careinke
Volunteer
Volunteer

Unread postby theluckycountry » Sun 14 Apr 2024, 08:11:21

EV sales may be declining (in the U.S. kub, not Senegal or Australia) but immigration is more than making up for it. I wonder if there is a way to invest in this. Shorting the American household or something?

The situation continues to deteriorate by the day. Just this past December, Border Patrol recorded 249,785 arrests along the Mexican border, a 31 percent spike from November 2023. Illegal immigration weighs heavily on the wallets of hardworking American taxpayers - to the tune of hundreds of billions of dollars annually.
https://www.zerohedge.com/political/ill ... s-annually

It's like EV sales, but in reverse 8O
après moi le déluge
theluckycountry
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby kublikhan » Sun 14 Apr 2024, 12:00:40

theluckycountry wrote:EV sales may be declining (in the U.S. kub, not Senegal or Australia)
Incorrect. All regions of the world saw EV sales grow, including the US. Some individual countries saw a decline such as Germany, which removed EV subsidies. And Norway has hit a bottleneck in EV growth since 90% of car sales are already EV.

April 2024 - Global sales of electric vehicles (EVs) grew by 21% compared to this time last year. In March, 1.2 million EVs were purchased, 12% higher than March last year, bringing the total up to 3.1 million for 2024 so far.

In the first quarter of 2024 all regions experienced growth compared to the same period in 2023 even though Europe’s was considerably slower. China continued to claim first prize at 31% growth with the US and Canada at 13%, and EU and EFTA trailed behind at a mere 7%. The Rest of the World (RoW) grew by 21% as Chinese exports continue to boost sales in southeast Asia and Latin America.

Europe’s relative slowdown in growth can be explained by Germany’s 21% y-o-y decline as recent subsidy cuts dampen demand. It can also be attributed in part to market saturation in Norway where nine out of ten new vehicles sold are electric versus an average of three out of ten in the rest of Europe. As Norway’s growth falters, so does Europe’s overall numbers. The UK achieved the highest rate of growth this quarter y-o-y in the region at 13%, seeing the market penetration at over 20% so far in 2024.

Q1 2024 vs Q1 2023
+21% Global
+7% EU & EFTA & UK
+31% China
+13% US & Canada
+21% RoW
Q1 2024: Over 3 Million Electric Vehicles Sold Globally
The oil barrel is half-full.
kublikhan
Master Prognosticator
Master Prognosticator

Unread postby theluckycountry » Mon 15 Apr 2024, 04:19:26

I was reading an old archived page the other day, saw this and thought it would be a good time to take stock.

This article is more than 3 years old
Bentley to stop making petrol cars by 2030 and go fully electric

Wow!
Luxury car brand promises to shift business to become ‘end-to-end carbon neutral’
Bentley, the luxury carmaker, will stop making fossil fuel cars by 2030 and aims to be completely carbon neutral at the same time, in one of the most ambitious plans of any UK car manufacturer in the transition towards electric vehicles.
https://www.theguardian.com/business/20 ... y-electric

Now? Obvious Lies in Red.
Mar 19, 2024
Bentley intended to introduce its first electric model in 2025—but that's not happening. CEO Adrian Hallmark told Automotive News Europe the EV has been delayed by a year because of technical problems caused by software issues as well as "platform-related concerns."
https://finance.yahoo.com/news/bentley- ... 01360.html

The manufacturer confirmed on Tuesday that it will introduce its first BEV towards the end of 2026 rather than next year as planned. More Lies

It comes as Bentley chief executive Adrian Hallmark pointed to a shift in government attitudes towards electrification, having said last year that he was “stunned” by Rishi Sunak’s decision to delay a ban on the sale of petrol and diesel cars to 2035.
https://www.motor1.com/news/712921/bent ... e-delayed/

Stunned? Relieved more likely. EV Bentlys in Saudi Arabia, I doubt it. Rich people don't buy these cars, Super rich people do and they couldn't give a toss about emissions. Were talking hand built cars for the luxury market. The last thing manufacturers want would be to have to employ a bunch of geeks and to build totally different vehicles. And the last thing an owner wants is to have his chauffeur driving off to recharge or having to come out to a freezing cold limo in the middle of winter in Bregenz Austria because the driver couldn't leave the heater on.

Why the promises to build EV back last decade then? Simple marketing. It was the cool thing to do, it got you exposure, a positive image and sent the share price of public companies up. Now if they want to see their share price rise they have to come out with statements saying they are dialing BACK on EV production.
après moi le déluge
theluckycountry
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby theluckycountry » Mon 15 Apr 2024, 04:39:34

kublikhan wrote:
theluckycountry wrote:EV sales may be declining (in the U.S. kub, not Senegal or Australia)
Incorrect. All regions of the world saw EV sales grow, including the US. Some individual countries saw a decline such as Germany, which removed EV subsidies. And Norway has hit a bottleneck in EV growth since 90% of car sales are already EV.

Misdirection and falsehood. I say countries and you say Regions? As for Norway

Hybrids, including both plug-in hybrids and traditional hybrids, made up a significant portion of new car sales in the country. The exact percentage can vary from month to month and year to year due to market dynamics and government incentives, but it was estimated to be around 50% or more of new car sales in Norway.

So it's not 90% of sales, since Hybrids are nothing more than fossil fuel powered cars.

Number of rechargeable and non-rechargeable diesel hybrid cars registered in Norway from 2016 to 2022
From 2016 to 2022, the number of chargeable diesel hybrids registered in Norway increased significantly, reaching nearly 11,100 cars in 2022. The non-chargeable diesel hybrid car fleet also grew during this period, amounting to about 3,900 cars as of 2022.
https://www.statista.com/statistics/102 ... in-norway/

Population Norway: 5.5 Million. Yes a super wealthy oil rich nation with the population smaller than many cities and endowed with unlimited Hydro power basically.
population new york city 8.336 million
population of the greater San Francisco area? 7.52 million people

In the scheme of things Norway is not even worth mentioning but the EV fanboi can't leave it alone. I could talk about many countries that have basically NO EV adoption, but I'm not desperate to make a case, the case against EV has made itself. It's only the wealthy Western nation that got caught up in this Bubble, the richer they were, the more they got scammed.
après moi le déluge
theluckycountry
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby kublikhan » Mon 15 Apr 2024, 10:01:00

theluckycountry wrote:Misdirection and falsehood. I say countries and you say Regions?
Incorrect. Again. You said the US. I said the US. I ALSO included data on other regions of the world. So the one using misdirection and falsehood is you.

theluckycountry wrote:As for Norway
Hybrids, including both plug-in hybrids and traditional hybrids, made up a significant portion of new car sales in the country. The exact percentage can vary from month to month and year to year due to market dynamics and government incentives, but it was estimated to be around 50% or more of new car sales in Norway.
So it's not 90% of sales, since Hybrids are nothing more than fossil fuel powered cars.
Incorrect. Again. 90% of car sales in Norway are BEV. No ICE engine at all.

Feb 5, 2024 - January saw combined EVs at 93.9% share in Norway, comprising a record 92.1% full electrics (BEVs), and just 1.8% plugin hybrids (PHEVs).

EVs At 93.9% Share In Norway — Record High

theluckycountry wrote:In the scheme of things Norway is not even worth mentioning but the EV fanboi can't leave it alone. I could talk about many countries that have basically NO EV adoption, but I'm not desperate to make a case, the case against EV has made itself. It's only the wealthy Western nation that got caught up in this Bubble, the richer they were, the more they got scammed.
Incorrect. Again. Your posting history shows you constantly turd mining for bad news on EVs without verifying the veracity of your sources. You just copy and paste whatever headline or quote says something bad about EVs, truth be damned. Ex: "GM CEO Calls It QUITS on EVs". Except it turns out the GM CEO said the exact opposite, they are continuing their plans to make EVs and instead plan to quit on ICE by 2035. Oops. And earlier you tried to say my data on EV sales in Norway was wrong because the cars had ICE engines. Except it was for BEVs, no ICE engine present. Oops. And just now you said only wealthy Western nations "got caught up in the EV bubble?" Completely ignoring the fact that half the EVs on the road are in China. More falsehoods from you.
kublikhan
Master Prognosticator
Master Prognosticator

Unread postby theluckycountry » Mon 15 Apr 2024, 20:40:29

To be clear: The American market for EVs is not collapsing. In the last quarter of 2023, EV sales were up 40% from the same quarter a year before, according to Cox Automotive.Feb 26, 2024

Last year Last year Last year Last year Last year Last year Last year Last year

April 2024
...However, none of these electric vehicle headwinds have yet to affect the Australian market. Our share of EV sales is still continuously growing, although as a total proportion of the market it is still significantly behind Europe. In February, plug-in vehicles had one of their biggest months ever in Australia, making up over 10 per cent of the market
https://www.carsguide.com.au/car-news/n ... market-has

The old threadbare fanboi Lie I have pointed out time and time and time again, the inclusion of plugin gasoline powered hybrids to muddy the statistics.

From the same website and hyperlinked off the article above
plug-in vehicles
The main difference when looking at a hybrid vs a plug in hybrid is that the former is powered by both a petrol-fueled internal combustion engine and a battery-powered electric motor that can work either independently or simultaneously, whereas the latter is powered chiefly by an electric motor and will only use its internal-combustion engine as a back-up should your electric motor’s battery run out of juice.
https://www.carsguide.com.au/ev/advice/ ... ence-83034

An interesting spin our carsguide reporter puts on the pair but any way you cut it they are still ICE cars, and in Australia that means long distances, flat batteries, and running on fossil fuels.

Both Electric vehicles and Horses have a useful of life of about 8~10 years before they must be scrapped. There is nothing salvageable from the horse aside from some pet meat and perhaps glue, the same relative usefulness could be said for an EV with a dead battery.

It's all in the report
Report to Congress ​Horse depreciation​​​
https://home.treasury.gov/system/files/ ... s-1990.pdf

promoting EV TRANSITION at this point is like

après moi le déluge
theluckycountry
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby ralfy » Mon 15 Apr 2024, 20:45:03

It's like that WEF video about 2030:

https://twitter.com/wef/status/983378870819794945
ralfy
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby theluckycountry » Tue 16 Apr 2024, 04:11:39

ralfy wrote:It's like that WEF video about 2030:

https://twitter.com/wef/status/983378870819794945

Yeah, they'll print kidneys lol, hearts and lungs. I studied the processes in the kidney years ago as part of a Biology project, it's really quite amazing. About 1/3 of the output from the heart is directed into them and the blood is moved into progressively smaller and smaller vessels until finally past a tiny U shaped structure where most of the fluids in the blood are separated from the blood cells, then by some mysterious process the organ separates unwanted waste molecules and atoms before returning the water based fluid with it's necessary minerals to the flow of cells. Like most biological processes the scientists can observe this but haven't a clue how the organ differentiates between a 'good' mineral and 'bad' mineral etc. And they want to print them :lol: Dream on.

The glomerulus filters your blood
As blood flows into each nephron, it enters a cluster of tiny blood vessels—the glomerulus. The thin walls of the glomerulus allow smaller molecules, wastes, and fluid—mostly water—to pass into the tubule. Larger molecules, such as proteins and blood cells, stay in the blood vessel.
The tubule returns needed substances to your blood and removes wastes

A blood vessel runs alongside the tubule. As the filtered fluid moves along the tubule, the blood vessel reabsorbs almost all of the water, along with minerals and nutrients your body needs. The tubule helps remove excess acid from the blood. The remaining fluid and wastes in the tubule become urine.
https://www.niddk.nih.gov/health-inform ... -they-work

Intelligent people are the most ignorant of these realities. They become an Engineer or Materials scientist, whatever, and then assume their expertise in one field makes them wise in all other fields. So they watch promotional videos for years about an EV transition, full of crackpot science that ignores lifespans, mineral deposits needed, the desires of the buying public and the practical reality of charging 50 million huge batteries off an aging worn out electricity grid. Then they come to forums like this and pretend they know something but all they know is how to parrot the marketing they have been fed for years.

The Impact of Cognitive Biases on Professionals' Decisions
... people tend to overestimate the accuracy of their judgments (overconfidence bias), to perceive events as being more predictable once they have occurred (hindsight bias), or to seek and interpret evidence in ways that are partial to existing beliefs and expectations (confirmation bias).
après moi le déluge
theluckycountry
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby kublikhan » Tue 16 Apr 2024, 04:56:09

theluckycountry wrote:Last year Last year Last year Last year Last year Last year Last year Last year
Yes ignore the fact the EV sales are growing this year. Par for the course for you.

April 2024 - Global sales of electric vehicles (EVs) grew by 21% compared to this time last year. In March, 1.2 million EVs were purchased, 12% higher than March last year, bringing the total up to 3.1 million for 2024 so far.
Q1 2024: Over 3 Million Electric Vehicles Sold Globally

theluckycountry wrote:The old threadbare fanboi Lie I have pointed out time and time and time again, the inclusion of plugin gasoline powered hybrids to muddy the statistics.
Yes it's a lie because your brain can only handle two car types: BEV and ICE. According to you, all cars must belong to one of these two car categories. Never mind the fact that hybrids are a valid option with growing popularity that have their own differences from an ICE, each with their pros and cons.

theluckycountry wrote:... people tend to overestimate the accuracy of their judgments (overconfidence bias), to perceive events as being more predictable once they have occurred (hindsight bias), or to seek and interpret evidence in ways that are partial to existing beliefs and expectations (confirmation bias).
This describes you perfectly.

theluckycountry wrote:Intelligent people are the most ignorant of these realities. They become an Engineer or Materials scientist, whatever, and then assume their expertise in one field makes them wise in all other fields. So they watch promotional videos for years about an EV transition, full of crackpot science that ignores lifespans, mineral deposits needed, the desires of the buying public and the practical reality of charging 50 million huge batteries off an aging worn out electricity grid. Then they come to forums like this and pretend they know something but all they know is how to parrot the marketing they have been fed for years.
And other people spend their time looking at clickbait crap on zerohedge and other sites that conform to their existing beliefs and expectations. Then they come to forums like this and parrot the clickbait.
kublikhan
Master Prognosticator
Master Prognosticator

Unread postby theluckycountry » Wed 17 Apr 2024, 04:53:31

Come on kub, stop digging up the past, tells us some good news about the EV industry today, but please, no fake stats including gasoline powered hybrids or crystal ball predictions for a year hence. try this!
Here’s where Virginia is installing its first 18 NEVI EV chargers. Virginia is handing out $11.295 million in federal grants to install 18 NEVI-compliant EV chargers.
Wow! Like 15, across an entire state.

Unfortunately the RMS EV has hit an iceberg ladies and gentlemen, it has stopped dead in the water, the engines have been turned off and engineers are surveying the damage. Don't worry though, this ship is unsinkable, just have another wine and go listen to the band.

Rivian (RIVN) to $0! The Countdown has Started
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j8DKuZP6ZiU

Tesla to lay off 10% of its workforce as sales fall
https://www.cbc.ca/news/business/tesla- ... -1.7173742

Massive Warning for Rivian, Lucid, and Even Tesla Investors
https://www.fool.com/insurance/pet/2024 ... -tesla-in/

-ChargePoint operates the largest online network of independently owned EV charging stations operating in 14 countries and makes some of its technology.-

ChargePoint Stock is down from a high of $46 to $1.50 today. That's a price you don't come back from folks, that's game over, and how do you charge your EV in the street then... It's a shipwreck!

après moi le déluge
theluckycountry
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby kublikhan » Wed 17 Apr 2024, 06:07:46

More BS from you. I post the most recent sales data, for Q1 2024, and you give a hand waiving dismissal that was "digging up the past." Seriously?

I am not interested in headline one-upmanship. The were some posts from the mods where they said something similar about not wanting posters to be constantly spamming headlines to one up each other. I'll humor you this time, but in the future do your own research:

March 27, 2024 - Hyundai Motor Group said on Wednesday it will invest 68 trillion won ($51 billion) over three years in South Korea to ramp up electric vehicle production and new mobility business and separately hire 80,000 new employees, doubling down at a time when other established automakers are slowing efforts.

More than half of the investment, or 35.5 trillion won, will be allocated for new research and development infrastructure and assembly lines for EVs, the automaker said in a statement.
"We are doubling down on electrification," Hyundai global Chief Operating Officer Jose Munoz said in an interview at the New York auto show. "We're very committed to the United States market."

In the U.S., Hyundai said in November it was investing $12.6 billion for new dedicated EV and battery manufacturing facilities in Georgia - the largest investment outside South Korea.
Hyundai Motor doubles down on EVs as it ramps up investment in Korea

Mar 18, 2024 - In the race against Tesla for the global electric car market, Chinese automaker BYD is pushing hard overseas despite rising barriers to the U.S. market.

The Shenzhen-based company has already tested the waters in a number of countries with some immediate sales success, often just one year after entering.

Given policy uncertainty around Chinese EV exports to major markets like the U.S. and Europe, BYD is seeking to bolster overseas sales by moving production to regions perceived as more friendly. Already, the company has factories in Thailand, Brazil, Indonesia, Hungary and Uzbekistan in the works.

BYD is moving quickly, beginning with Thailand, where the company expects its first factory outside China to be in operation by the end of this year. The automaker surpassed Toyota to grab the top spot for passenger car sales in Thailand in January, despite having no sales there just one year prior.

Southeast Asia will likely remain BYD’s strongest overseas market in the short term as the company pursues its goal of doubling its car exports from last year to 500,000 in 2024.
China’s BYD pushes into emerging markets amid policy uncertainty in the U.S., Europe

March 18, 2024 - The price of electric cars is plummeting so fast that they’re now almost as cheap as gas-powered cars.

Since EVs first hit the market, car buyers have had to pay a steep premium if they wanted a car that ran on batteries instead of a gas engine. Two years ago, they would have paid about $17,000 more on average for a new electric car than for a new gas-powered car. But that gap has been rapidly closing, shrinking to $5,000 last month, according to data from Cox Automotive.

EV prices are set to keep dropping
Last month’s drop in EV prices is part of a long-term trend toward cheaper electric cars, mainly due to falling battery prices. Batteries are nearly 90 percent cheaper today than they were in 2008, according to the U.S. Energy Department.

The cost to make a new electric car could fall to the same level as gas-powered ones as soon as 2027 because of more efficient manufacturing, according to a March 7 report from the technology consulting firm Gartner.

EV cost is a main barrier for U.S. adults, according to a 2023 Washington Post-University of Maryland poll. If prices keep dropping as they did last month, more Americans may be willing to ditch their gas-guzzlers for electric cars.
Why EVs are now almost as cheap as gas cars
kublikhan
Master Prognosticator
Master Prognosticator

Unread postby theluckycountry » Wed 17 Apr 2024, 07:02:35

What did I say?

Come on kub, stop digging up the past, tells us some good news about the EV industry today, but please, no crystal ball predictions for a year hence.

And what do you come back with?
kublikhan wrote:I am not interested in headline one-upmanship... I'll humor you this time, but in the future do your own research:

Of course you're not into it, you have nothing to put on the table.

March 27, 2024 - Hyundai Motor Group said on Wednesday it will invest 68 trillion won ($51 billion) over three years

Ok. Stop right there. crystal ball predictions are off the table kub, forget it, we're through with the lies. Here, look at 2017.

A major new report predicts that by 2030, the overwhelming majority of consumers will no longer own a car – instead they will use on-demand electric autonomous vehicles.

By 2030, within 10 years of regulatory approval of autonomous electric vehicles (A-EVs), the report says, 95 per cent of all US passenger miles traveled will be served by on-demand, autonomous, electric vehicles that will be owned by fleets rather than individuals.
https://reneweconomy.com.au/death-spira ... one-93626/

You probably believed that didn't you. So we have less than 6 years to convert 94% of the US fleet into autonomous EV. With autonomous cars already down the toilet and the EV swirling round the bowl. How thick in the head would people have to be to believe this BS in the first place?

Tesla is laying off 10% of it's workforce and all kub can say is "EV sales are up Ev sales are up." You're a Dinosaur kub, your EV transition is rotting on the beach and you're still tugging on the line for all it's worth. Even the shale oil disaster isn't as bad as this EV collapse. What an embarrassment for all concerned. All those billions, all that marketing, even the President fully behind them and the Public just said.

après moi le déluge
theluckycountry
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby yellowcanoe » Wed 17 Apr 2024, 12:00:34

Unfortunately some people are finding that the necessary support for electric vehicles isn't there yet. https://nationalpost.com/opinion/owning ... buying-one
"new housing construction" is spelled h-a-b-i-t-a-t d-e-s-t-r-u-c-t-i-o-n.
yellowcanoe
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

Unread postby kublikhan » Wed 17 Apr 2024, 12:08:27

theluckycountry wrote:What did I say?
theluckycountry wrote:Come on kub, stop digging up the past, tells us some good news about the EV industry today, but please, no crystal ball predictions for a year hence.
And what do you come back with?
At this point you are just being willfully ignorant. I stated very clearly that right now, EV sales are growing. Not last year, not in the distant past, right now. And you have ignored that ever single time I posted it. careinke was right. You cannot let go of outdated paradigms even when presented with facts. If a fact threatens your existing beliefs you ignore it.

theluckycountry wrote:Of course you're not into it, you have nothing to put on the table.
More willful ignorance on your part. I stated EV sales are growing, EV prices are coming down and approaching parity with ICE vehicles, and automakers are spending billions in EV investments. But yeah you should ignore all that though because your turd mining says otherwise.

theluckycountry wrote:Ok. Stop right there. crystal ball predictions are off the table kub
As I recall you post quite a few 'crystal ball predictions' yourself. But now 'they are off the table?' I see how it works. 'Crystal ball predictions' are allowed if they foretell the death of EVs. But if the predictions are anything other than that, it's off the table.

theluckycountry wrote:forget it, we're through with the lies. Here, look at 2017.
A major new report predicts that by 2030, the overwhelming majority of consumers will no longer own a car – instead they will use on-demand electric autonomous vehicles.

By 2030, within 10 years of regulatory approval of autonomous electric vehicles (A-EVs), the report says, 95 per cent of all US passenger miles traveled will be served by on-demand, autonomous, electric vehicles that will be owned by fleets rather than individuals.
You probably believed that didn't you. So we have less than 6 years to convert 94% of the US fleet into autonomous EV. With autonomous cars already down the toilet and the EV swirling round the bowl. How thick in the head would people have to be to believe this BS in the first place?
How thick in the head do you have to be to ascribe that position to me when I have already posted multiple times that is not my position? No matter how many times I try to tell you my position on EVs, you remain willfully ignorant on it. You just shove me into whatever strawman position is easier for you to knock down. Just because I don't think 'EVs are dead' are whatever your nonsense of the week is, that doesn't mean I think we are all going to be driving EVs by 2030.

kublikhan wrote:Electric cars are neither cheap nor easy. They carry a large premium over their ICE counterparts.
The Chevrolet Cruze, which the Volt is based on, has an MSRP of $16,720, or about 42% of the $40,000 MSRP price of the Volt.

The GEM es cart(I refuse to call these things "cars"), has an MSRP of $8,800 and top speed of 25mph. Here's a gas powered cart on sale for $2500 that has a top speed of 40 mph, just 31% of the price of the GEM es.

Then there is the range and refueling restrictions electric vehicles impose. The Volt had to go with an ICE extender because of the huge price of batteries that would result if it had gone all electric and tried to match the range of it's gasoline counterparts. And the standard charge takes 8-10 hours on these things, restricting refueling options.

Look, I don't want to rag on electric cars all day. I know they have advantages too. I just think we need to be honest here about them. And I honestly don't see them going mainstream at this point with the current price of batteries and gasoline.

kublikhan wrote:I'm not so sure that EVs are more than good enough today to warrant a mandate. They are still much more expensive than a comparably equipped ICE. To me it seems a bit premature to start mandating EVs. Their sales are still dependent on government subsidies. Sales would fall if these subsidies were removed. Yet many governments are looking to do exactly that: replace subsidies with mandates.

kublikhan wrote:The push for EVs is not coming from market forces. If it were, they never would have needed subsidies or mandates in the first place.

kublikhan wrote:CA's strategy seems to be to steam forward with blind hope and political mandates in lieu of informed planning. That has not worked out so well for them.
You cannot mandate away reality. I've seen this pattern play out too many times. Politicians pass lofty mandates to score browning points with their constituents without looking into the plan to see if it is feasible. Then reality comes to bite. And then the lofty mandates have to be re-evaluated.

theluckycountry wrote:Tesla is laying off 10% of it's workforce and all kub can say is "EV sales are up Ev sales are up." You're a Dinosaur kub, your EV transition is rotting on the beach and you're still tugging on the line for all it's worth. Even the shale oil disaster isn't as bad as this EV collapse. What an embarrassment for all concerned. All those billions, all that marketing, even the President fully behind them and the Public just said.
No that is not all I said. Nor did I say I was expecting the masses to transition to EVs anytime soon. Infact I said the opposite. But you never let facts get in the way of your BS now do you? Much easier to attack strawman and post juvenile pictures eh Lucky?
kublikhan
Master Prognosticator
Master Prognosticator

Unread postby theluckycountry » Fri 19 Apr 2024, 00:16:53

yellowcanoe wrote:Unfortunately some people are finding that the necessary support for electric vehicles isn't there yet. https://nationalpost.com/opinion/owning ... buying-one

The National Post no less. You know you're done for when the mass media turns it back on you.

Meanwhile at Tesla... Share price falls below the critical $150 level. It's way back to it's 2020 level now, back before the big run up. It's been a disaster for investors.
après moi le déluge
theluckycountry
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby careinke » Fri 19 Apr 2024, 02:49:38

theluckycountry wrote:
yellowcanoe wrote:Unfortunately some people are finding that the necessary support for electric vehicles isn't there yet. https://nationalpost.com/opinion/owning ... buying-one

The National Post no less. You know you're done for when the mass media turns it back on you.

Meanwhile at Tesla... Share price falls below the critical $150 level. It's way back to it's 2020 level now, back before the big run up. It's been a disaster for investors.

I'm hoping it stays there or drops lower until at least Sep 2025. Then I'm going to buy lots and lots of it.

Peace
careinke
Volunteer
Volunteer

Unread postby theluckycountry » Mon 22 Apr 2024, 04:00:20

Tesla wishwashes on affordable $25k EV and in a bait and switch promotes the autonomous taxi now. What next, an EV 'space ship' to Mars? Whenever things look bad Musk comes out with an outrageous plan for a star-trek future, that, until now, has kept his fanbois happy. Of course his biggest marketing trick was to buy Twitter (with other people's money) and promote himself as Paul Revere in the eyes of the Republican voters.

Chaos at Tesla
https://www.bloomberg.com/news/videos/2 ... d-job-cuts

No one talks about this little bit of BS anymore do they? A few rendered images and some smiling Millennials sitting in a prototype pod and you're on your way to big stock sales.

High-speed transportation firm Hyperloop One to shut down - Bloomberg News

The Los-Angeles-based firm, which completed the world's first passenger ride on a super high-speed levitating pod system in 2020, will sell off its remaining assets, while the employment for its remaining employees will end on Dec. 31 this year, according to the report.

They never report the failures the same way they tout the BS promises do they.
après moi le déluge
theluckycountry
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

PreviousNext

Return to Energy Technology