Donate Bitcoin

Donate Paypal

PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

THE Self-Driving Car / Ridesharing Thread

Discussions of conventional and alternative energy production technologies.

Re: THE Self-Driving Car / Ridesharing Thread

Unread postby mousepad » Fri 27 Jan 2023, 19:10:23

theluckycountry wrote:That's the average man in the street for you.

I don't think so. A bit rough on the edges and sometimes difficult to get the gist because of his cynical posts.
So far he has shown a better understanding of the situation than most. He's smart enough to avoid predictions of his own like the plague. Maybe cowardness? But maybe he just knows better. The easy prediction is "tomorrow is the same as today". You end up being almost always right.
He's one of the few posters here that make (made) me think and ponder. The others in this category were Pops, Ibon, Planted-Agent, Oilfinder2 and Montequest.
Of course he has flaws. He tends to be a bit of a Demwit drone, still confusing the happy gathering of a few party goers with a major insurrection. :-)
mousepad
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

Unread postby theluckycountry » Sat 28 Jan 2023, 12:48:33

mousepad wrote:
theluckycountry wrote:That's the average man in the street for you.

So far he has shown a better understanding of the situation than most. He's smart enough to avoid predictions of his own like the plague. Maybe cowardness? But maybe he just knows better. The easy prediction is "tomorrow is the same as today". You end up being almost always right.
He's one of the few posters here that make (made) me think and ponder. The others in this category were Pops, Ibon, Planted-Agent, Oilfinder2 and Montequest.
Of course he has flaws. He tends to be a bit of a Demwit drone, still confusing the happy gathering of a few party goers with a major insurrection. :-)

They call that being an apologist mousepad, just saying :) As for AdamB, he seems to have a set against people who live in Australia, or perhaps he just doesn't like Australia? Sour grapes I suspect. But either way he makes endless derogatory references to the nation and it's people. If there are pearls in all that feces then you are welcome to them but I choose not to wade through it.

I knew a guy way back in the day, he was a big pot smoker, doing his apprenticeship as a sparky. Back then we all smoked lots of weed and among the crew was the typical deadheads that you wouldn't give the time of day to if you weren't off your face. Most of us gave it away in our early twenties but ol Steve kept at the bong. He ended up with his own business and did well, a couple of investment houses, big boat, all that stuff. I caught up with him a few years back and there he was under his house smoking bongs with the same unemployed deadheads from 30 years before.

That's the trouble when you engage with losers too long, they become embedded in your life like ticks.
après moi le déluge
theluckycountry
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby mousepad » Sun 29 Jan 2023, 12:25:20

theluckycountry wrote:But either way he makes endless derogatory references to the nation and it's people.

I know, it's run stale by now, I agree.
mousepad
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

Unread postby theluckycountry » Sun 29 Jan 2023, 14:58:54

mousepad wrote:
theluckycountry wrote:But either way he makes endless derogatory references to the nation and it's people.

I know, it's run stale by now, I agree.

You know with all the 'smart' software these days you think they'd have a filter that would allow any post to be visible but that would block any post that contained certain key works. Like Australia, Banana, etc :-D
après moi le déluge
theluckycountry
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby theluckycountry » Wed 08 Feb 2023, 04:11:25

Thread is a bit so so here's a great article from 2016

10 million self-driving cars will be on the road by 2020

Self-driving cars are no longer a futuristic idea. Companies like Mercedes, BMW, and Tesla have already released, or are soon to release, self-driving features that give the car some ability to drive itself... The biggest benefits of self-driving cars are that they will help to make roads safer and people's lives easier. In the UK, KPMG estimates that self-driving cars will lead to 2,500 fewer deaths between 2014 and 2030.

But the barriers to self-driving cars remain significant. Costs need to come down and regulations need to be clarified around certain self-driving car features before the vehicles fully take off among mainstream consumers. (Shhhhh!) (Don't be so negative)

https://www.businessinsider.com/report- ... 5-5-6?op=1
après moi le déluge
theluckycountry
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby theluckycountry » Wed 08 Feb 2023, 04:13:29

Google self-driving car: everything you need to know
By Tuan Huynh
published May 18, 2016

The future of transportation makes the AI "the driver"

https://www.techradar.com/news/car-tech ... ow-1321548
après moi le déluge
theluckycountry
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby AdamB » Wed 08 Feb 2023, 10:29:22

mousepad wrote:So far he has shown a better understanding of the situation than most. He's smart enough to avoid predictions of his own like the plague. Maybe cowardness?

Please. I just don't tend to advertise. Peak oil has been solved. The current question is can the same techniques be applied to smaller areas, with the law of large numbers effect ever diminishing as you dial up the areal resolution.

mousepad wrote: But maybe he just knows better. The easy prediction is "tomorrow is the same as today". You end up being almost always right.

Current peak oil solutions require taking into account not just the ramp up into the peak itself, but all the resources produced on the downside as well. You can't produce it if it doesn't fit the physics, geology and economics of development, growth, peak, and decline. So the currently appropriate time frame that needs modeled runs out to 2100.

As you note, anyone is capable of the perspective of tomorrow is like today, because usually, it is. But ask them a question about the Sun getting lighter and what it means about the boiling away of the oceans on our world and they give you that slack jawed and silly look.

mousepad wrote:Of course he has flaws. He tends to be a bit of a Demwit drone, still confusing the happy gathering of a few party goers with a major insurrection. :-)

I have far more flaws that your perception on my political outlook as a registered independent. Just ask the misses. And happy party goers don't tend to get shot in the head by security while breaking and entering, they drink booze, smoke dope, sit around and sing songs and whatnot. They don't bring a gallows with them while waving the battle flag of the Confederacy when sacking a particularly important building on a particularly important day. And they don't get convicted of having done these things by the hundreds, as it isn't illegal to be a happy party goer.
Plant Thu 27 Jul 2023 "Personally I think the IEA is exactly right when they predict peak oil in the 2020s, especially because it matches my own predictions."

Plant Wed 11 Apr 2007 "I think Deffeyes might have nailed it, and we are just past the overall peak in oil production. (Thanksgiving 2005)"
AdamB
Volunteer
Volunteer

Unread postby mousepad » Wed 08 Feb 2023, 11:36:33

AdamB wrote:I have far more flaws that your perception on my political outlook as a registered independent. Just ask the misses. And happy party goers don't tend to get shot in the head by security while breaking and entering, they drink booze, smoke dope, sit around and sing songs and whatnot. They don't bring a gallows with them while waving the battle flag of the Confederacy when sacking a particularly important building on a particularly important day. And they don't get convicted of having done these things by the hundreds, as it isn't illegal to be a happy party goer.

Yeah, you're overreacting. In my prime I've been to quite some parties where the police had to show up to get it under control. It was crazy, but still a party. Allow kids to have some fun, don't be such a Demwit. Or did you really think a bunch of party goers could topple the US gov? Who knows? Maybe we're further down into banana republic nation than I thought?
mousepad
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

Unread postby AdamB » Wed 08 Feb 2023, 13:04:09

mousepad wrote:
AdamB wrote:I have far more flaws that your perception on my political outlook as a registered independent. Just ask the misses. And happy party goers don't tend to get shot in the head by security while breaking and entering, they drink booze, smoke dope, sit around and sing songs and whatnot. They don't bring a gallows with them while waving the battle flag of the Confederacy when sacking a particularly important building on a particularly important day. And they don't get convicted of having done these things by the hundreds, as it isn't illegal to be a happy party goer.

Yeah, you're overreacting.

Interesting. While my experience with having a party doesn't consist of a body count where the killers are justified in shooting women in the head to keep them from breaking and entering, and folks are charged, and convicted of seditionist conspiracy (why not just smoking pot and underage drinking I wonder? :) ) I am always willing to admit that some folks are more party oriented than I.

mousepad wrote:In my prime I've been to quite some parties where the police had to show up to get it under control. It was crazy, but still a party.

What was the body count when the party was over? Or more interestingly, how many were convicted of federal charges, as we all know that when being rounded up after parties in our wayward youth, it was often the town cops, sometimes the sheriff. By the time the state cops were involved it was getting serious. So if you've got parties where the feds are involved, that must be some party!

mousepad wrote:Allow kids to have some fun, don't be such a Demwit.

All my children had fun. I was there when my boy and girl first drank, first rode motorcycles, first needed a ride home from a party (not your kind of party where body counts are a-okay). And as a registered independent because I understand the oligarch nature of our government, I am allowed to be a Demwit as often as I am a nazi sympathizer. Admittedly, probably more of one than the other, but the potential exists.

mousepad wrote:Or did you really think a bunch of party goers could topple the US gov? Who knows? Maybe we're further down into banana republic nation than I thought?

You will note that the act of toppling the government isn't the criteria for this particular party to involve convictions of seditionist conspiracy. I'll let you look up what "sedition" is, but I bet you already know, just as you already know that you were never at a party where your party-going friends attempted such a thing, let alone were convicted of it. Or died doing it.

Perhaps you would prefer to discuss the unfairness of their convictions because you doubt the overall reasonableness of the US legal system and the Constitution upon which it is based? :)
Plant Thu 27 Jul 2023 "Personally I think the IEA is exactly right when they predict peak oil in the 2020s, especially because it matches my own predictions."

Plant Wed 11 Apr 2007 "I think Deffeyes might have nailed it, and we are just past the overall peak in oil production. (Thanksgiving 2005)"
AdamB
Volunteer
Volunteer

Unread postby theluckycountry » Wed 08 Feb 2023, 15:19:57

mousepad wrote:Maybe we're further down into banana republic nation than I thought?

It's not easy I imagine, to be a citizen of an nation losing it's empire status. One that was once Alpha and is now falling back into the pack. It's wise to be able to recognize the process though rather than delude yourself about it.

après moi le déluge
theluckycountry
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby AdamB » Wed 08 Feb 2023, 16:56:09

theluckycountry wrote:
mousepad wrote:Maybe we're further down into banana republic nation than I thought?

It's not easy I imagine, to be a citizen of an nation losing it's empire status. One that was once Alpha and is now falling back into the pack.

Indeed. Russia is having a tough time of it.

AdamB
Volunteer
Volunteer

Unread postby Plantagenet » Thu 09 Feb 2023, 01:57:09

theluckycountry wrote:It's not easy I imagine, to be a citizen of an nation losing it's empire status. One that was once Alpha and is now falling back into the pack.

Oh...its not so bad.

I've just been traveling in SE Asia, where the US messed things up about as badly as an empire can do. And yet, the current communist regimes in Laos, Cambodia, and VietNam now love the USA and want to be our allies. And the people there love hosting American travelers even more.

Especially in Vietnam, where the US dropped countless bombs and defoliated much of the country with agent orange, the Vietnamese now absolutely love Americans. And the reason....?........the Vietnamese have a deep and well founded fear of the Chinese wish to invade its neighbors and create a real Chinese empire.....not just the pretend label of empire carelessly applied to Americans doing business in foreign countries, but the Chinese want to do actual invasions and actual military conquests to add to their empire. And if that wasn't bad enough individual Chinese tourists are apparently overbearing and rude and greatly disliked in SE Asia. I was lucky enough to travel there just as China was re-opening, so there were ZERO Chinese tourists there when I was there and the tourist sites (Angkor Was, etc.) were empty and uncrowded. In Chiang Mai the very first plane of Chinese tourists was arriving just as I flew off to Siam Riep, but the Chinese all sat on their plane for two hours for some bizarre reason, and I flew off before they disembarked. I never saw a single Chinese tourist.

theluckycountry wrote:

Yes....I visited this building while I was in Ho Chi Minh City (formerly Saigon). According to the Vietnamese this wasn't the US embassy as the US media reported.....it was the local CIA headquarters.

In any event it doesn't look anything like this now. VietNam's economy is booming and the old CIA building, which used to stand high enough for helicopters to get in there, is now almost surrounded and dwarfed by huge modern sky scrapers.

Cheers!
Never underestimate the ability of Joe Biden to f#@% things up---Barack Obama
-----------------------------------------------------------
Keep running between the raindrops.
Plantagenet
Expert
Expert

Unread postby theluckycountry » Thu 09 Feb 2023, 04:10:39

You missed the point of my post plant, it wasn't about tourism, or about how friendly the people of Asian nations are to anyone when you are handing them money for their goods and services lol. No the point was the ineffectiveness of the empire to maintain it's authority over global affairs. The pictures above were illustrative only, to show the difference a few decades can make between being All Powerful and having to run away run away.

If you feel proud about your nation it doesn't surprise me, the propaganda there about how great it is has never been matched except in the USSR under Stalin. Even the homeless camps fly the stars and stripes, people living in abject poverty wanting to tell the whole world that they are living the American Dream. You know why they call it a dream don't you? It's because you'd have to be asleep to believe it.
après moi le déluge
theluckycountry
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby theluckycountry » Fri 10 Nov 2023, 20:56:34

Outcast_Searcher wrote:
pstarr wrote:You fanboys present no evidence that a driverless car will ever navigate a city street, on a dark night, in the rain. Or even in daylight during a sudden thunderstorm. You guys/gals live in an echo chamber with Siri, Hal and a talking Cabbage Patch Doll. Not me lol

The entire EV and self-driving car industry is an epic fail - because pstarr thinks so. Just like the economy, BTW. Any evidence from actual experts, people in the industry, people actually building and, increasingly, driving the things are to be ignored because, pstarr doesn't like them.

And anyone who actually follows the mainstream news and all the evidence documenting how these things are progressing is delusional.

Well pstarr was on the money. A clear thinker, not someone swallowing everything said by

people in the industry, people actually building and, increasingly, driving the things
anyone who actually follows the mainstream news and all the evidence documenting how these things are progressing

Just more evidence that everything touted in the mainstream news is nothing more than BS advertising for Wall Street and it's endless IPO's. Don't worry Outcast_Searcher, I won't expect you to admit you were wrong, just hang in there, another 10 years is all, just like Fusion power hey.

General Motors recalls entire fleet of nearly 1000 robo-taxis

US car giant General Motors will recall all 950 vehicles from its Cruise ‘robo-taxi’ program – the largest fleet of autonomous driverless cars in the US – after a incident caused by a software error led to an already-struck pedestrian being dragged down the road last month. As reported earlier this week, General Motors suspended its Cruise program – the autonomous vehicle division it purchased in 2016 – in October due to safety concerns following multiple incidents and the suspension of the robo-taxi operator’s licence in California. ...The recall will attempt to correct a software fault
https://www.drive.com.au/news/gm-cruise ... um=partner

That's odd? I thought they corrected software faults in the lab and then sent out the update. I didn't realize they had to recall an entire fleet back to the factory :lol:

Yes, it's spin boys and girls, a little bit of hopium so the share price doesn't completely tank.
après moi le déluge
theluckycountry
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby theluckycountry » Mon 19 Feb 2024, 06:45:33

The voice of the people

Mob burns autonomous Jaguar robo-taxi to the ground https://www.drive.com.au/news/mob-burns ... m=Referral
A witness told news outlet Reuters the crowd was celebrating Chinese New Year with fireworks when a person jumped onto the bonnet of the
Jaguar before a second person did the same moments later to an applauding crowd.

“That was when it went wild,”
...Hostility to autonomous vehicles is not uncommon, with multiple events occurring in Arizona where Waymo’s vehicles have been repeatedly attacked.

Aside from a few Libtards with their heads in the clouds people don't want these on their roads, something I personally felt would happen years ago. It's one thing to see them in the perfect world of Sci-Fi movies, it's quite another to have them driving around near your children, and blocking inner-city streets because they are too dumb to handle traffic.

après moi le déluge
theluckycountry
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Previous

Return to Energy Technology