Donate Bitcoin

Donate Paypal

PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

Domestic consumption of oil producing nations.

General discussions of the systemic, societal and civilisational effects of depletion.

Re: Per Capita Oil Use by Various Nations

Unread postby namenick » Tue 15 Jan 2008, 16:36:08

Plantagenet- I noticed that KevO is also an expert and he's contemplating buying some magnets to put around the fuel line on his car to increase gas mileage by 15-20%. You being an expert too, what do you think of the idea?
namenick
Lignite
Lignite

Unread postby Plantagenet » Tue 15 Jan 2008, 18:37:41

namenick wrote:Plantagenet- I noticed that KevO is also an expert and he's contemplating buying some magnets to put around the fuel line on his car to increase gas mileage by 15-20%. You being an expert too, what do you think of the idea?

I'd rather see us discussing the need for high speed intercity rail links and light rail commuter lines within cities to reduce car use and oil imports, but its OK with me if you want to glue magnets to your fuel lines or anything else you've got.

Hope it works out for you :roll:
Plantagenet
Expert
Expert

Unread postby namenick » Wed 16 Jan 2008, 02:19:55

Well it's irritating to me that a forum will list people as experts when they have no credentials other than saying something which somebody else thinks is profound.

If this was my forum I would do away with the whole idea of calling people experts, in the interest of attracting more intelligent people to the cause. I have a lot of difficulty with being associated with people who still think that the old trick from the sixties of attaching magnets to the fuel line is going to save on gas.

But it's not my forum of course.
namenick
Lignite
Lignite

Unread postby Blacksmith » Wed 16 Jan 2008, 03:04:26

An "expert" is a drip under pressure.
Employed senior
Blacksmith
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

Unread postby Plantagenet » Wed 16 Jan 2008, 13:09:17

namenick wrote:
If this was my forum I would do away with the whole idea of calling people experts, in the interest of attracting more intelligent people to the cause.

Good idea. We were trying out pheromones to attract more intelligent people, but your idea is better.

P.S.--If the magnets on your fuel line didn't work, then try to position them so the composite magnetic field is aligned with the flow direction in order to turn the gas into a plasma jet as it enters the carburetor. That should work better...let us know.
Plantagenet
Expert
Expert

Unread postby Pixie » Wed 16 Jan 2008, 15:50:15

Plantagenet wrote:
namenick wrote:
If this was my forum I would do away with the whole idea of calling people experts, in the interest of attracting more intelligent people to the cause.

Good idea. We were trying out pheromones to attract more intelligent people, but your idea is better.

Did we have a pheromone that was specific to intelligent people?
Just another tofu-munching bike-riding Rambo(/Rambette)
Pixie
Lignite
Lignite

Unread postby namenick » Wed 16 Jan 2008, 16:18:45

I wouldn't want to threaten their expert status of course because it's of value to them. How could anyone read an expert's posts and not take them seriously? I was however attracted to this forum because I read some good valid points being made by some people, such as you for instance. Then I saw some ideas which came accross to me as pretty goofy. Not being an expert myself it was hard to separate the wheat from the chaff. But as one gets to know the individual posters a little better it becomes easier.

For new people coming to this forum it is important IMO that they first go to some of the credible stuff which is posted in the stickies. I'm just assuming that this forum is providing some kind of service to others in that it is educating them on PO to some degree. Therefore when a person goes to a post by an 'expert' who has a couple of thousand posts to his name, we hope that the message is credible. I've noticed that sometimes it is and sometimes it isn't. From my humble perspective of a non-expert at least.

I won't bother to belabour the point any further because it is obviously threatening the experts.
namenick
Lignite
Lignite

Unread postby Plantagenet » Wed 16 Jan 2008, 19:08:24

Pixie wrote:Did we have a pheromone that was specific to intelligent people?

There's more then one variety of pheromone for intelligent people.

Some intelligent people are attracted to the smell of money, or new car smells, and such. Other intelligent people like the smell of the sea, new mown grass, lightning, etc. A few are drawn to the smell of musty old libraries, while others are attracted mainly by the smell of young beautiful babes. 8)
Plantagenet
Expert
Expert

Unread postby Pixie » Wed 16 Jan 2008, 19:25:40

Plantagenet wrote:
Pixie wrote:Did we have a pheromone that was specific to intelligent people?

There's more then one variety of pheromone for intelligent people.

Some intelligent people are attracted to the smell of money, or new car smells, and such. Other intelligent people like the smell of the sea, new mown grass, lightning, etc. A few are drawn to the smell of musty old libraries, while others are attracted mainly by the smell of young beautiful babes. 8)

Excellent! Put THAT in a bottle!
Just another tofu-munching bike-riding Rambo(/Rambette)
Pixie
Lignite
Lignite

Unread postby Twilight » Wed 16 Jan 2008, 20:51:49

namenick wrote:I wouldn't want to threaten their expert status of course because it's of value to them.

No it isn't.

namenick wrote:I'm just assuming that this forum is providing some kind of service to others in that it is educating them on PO to some degree.

The question is, who are they and what are they learning? [smilie=icon_cool.gif]

namenick wrote:I won't bother to belabour the point any further because it is obviously threatening the experts.

You are welcome to my tag.
Twilight
Expert
Expert

Unread postby namenick » Thu 17 Jan 2008, 17:26:39

Twilight- I don't want your tag but it would please me if you didn't have it. I'll read the posts others make and decide for myself if they are experts. And now I won't belabour the point any further because it appears to be the choice of this forum to place tags on posters. Perhaps to illustrate that they are worthy of being read I suppose.
namenick
Lignite
Lignite

Re: Domestic consumption of oil producing nations.

Unread postby theluckycountry » Wed 04 Oct 2023, 15:31:05

I have been of the opinion lately that the migrant influx from Africa/Arabia into Europe, and from south american nations into the US, is driven by poverty, which is driven by reduced oil consumption in those nations. Less oil being used. less transport, less fertilizers and imported foods too probably. It's another indicator to me that PeakOil was indeed back in 2008 abouts. All the *nuvo* oil since hasn't helped many nations has it. When conventional peaked these nations began to be shut out of the oil market, it's simply a matter of economics.

Consumption in the first world

Consumption in the Third World
, where all the refugees are flocking from.
Bear in mind that all these nations have rising populations, so a stagnant consumption rate means a falling per capita consumption rate. The charts are 2015 data but the trend is clear and a search of Mexico's current consumption shows it at 2000 kb/day, so in 7 years (Ignoring the covid blip) they have had falling per capita consumption.

Also of note is the 20 year consumption data:
December 31, 2000 2.041M
December 31, 2022 2.098M
https://ycharts.com/indicators/mexico_oil_consumption
So Mexico is back to consumption levels of last century!
20% of Mexicos population has moved to America but they are still growing. Lots of babies popping out there. I argue they are moving to America because of ever rising poverty, a consequence of peak oil. Certainly peak oil consumption.

And how about the UK? Is it any wonder their standard of living is falling off a cliff?

Vietnam bounced back too, but they are a big manufacturing hub so lots of money there to buy oil. https://www.statista.com/statistics/610 ... n-vietnam/

Link for consumption charts
https://www.bing.com/images/search?view ... Gr&iss=VSI
après moi le déluge
theluckycountry
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Previous

Return to Peak Oil Discussion