Donate Bitcoin

Donate Paypal

PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

Intro

Say hello, learn how to register, read the rules, get staff announcements.

Intro

Unread postby Meteorite Debris » Mon 11 Sep 2023, 05:25:36

I have been occasionally lurking for a while. Seems like a low activity forum. I would usually hang out in the Facebook group "Peak Oil" which is rather active where I went by my RL name Peter Gregory Kelly. For some reason I was removed a few days ago and do not know the nature of my "crime" :? . It is a hidden private group and therefore it is not possible to join on the group page. So I will seek to keep myself updated on peak oil related issues here. I have been concerned about peak oil for about 20 years. I am not an expert in any related field but have read widely on it.
Meteorite Debris
Wood
Wood

Re: Intro

Unread postby Tanada » Mon 11 Sep 2023, 20:41:00

Welcome Aboard! If you have cloudflare posting issues please read the announcements for how to get around them. The issues appear to be region specific and many have no problems while others face many.
Alfred Tennyson wrote:We are not now that strength which in old days
Moved earth and heaven, that which we are, we are;
One equal temper of heroic hearts,
Made weak by time and fate, but strong in will
To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield.
Tanada
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread postby theluckycountry » Tue 12 Sep 2023, 07:50:56

Meteorite Debris wrote: I would usually hang out in the Facebook group "Peak Oil" ... So I will seek to keep myself updated on peak oil related issues here. I have been concerned about peak oil for about 20 years.

Well welcome aboard. I was concerned about peak oil, for all of 3 or 4 years, but you get over it. Back in the beginning the general consensus was that we'd be in real trouble within a decade, we would be facing $200 bbl oil and the economies would be collapsing into oblivion. I sold two V8's and bought a 4cly car and 4cly bike. Now I have three bikes! And a thirsty V6. Not that I think peak oil has gone away, it's just that no one could have predicted how well the system would redirect profits to the wealthy western nations. If you live in Sri Lanka or India or S-Africa then good luck living a modern life on an average income. But in some developed nations it's been all roses.

This community has generally interested itself in the perpetuation of the trendy techno fixes, like EV's and rebuildable solar and wind, nuclear and all that. There is also a lot of political and war talk. I get into all that stuff but am resilience focused at the core because I always believed that was the way to lead a decent normal life when the wheels eventually fall off. When people discuss wars I think of how to avoid them, when they discuss heatwaves or icemelt I consider how well I am prepared personally to face these changes. I really couldn't give a damn about the big picture, I let the moralistic baby boomers fret over all that.

There is not much talk along those lines of personal resilience here though; setting up home solar, cycling, keeping fit, fuel efficient vehicles, all that stuff. The forum is more of a news clearing house and a place to do Monday morning quarterbacking.
après moi le déluge
theluckycountry
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby Newfie » Thu 14 Sep 2023, 18:31:34

Welcome aboard

You may find some of our older topics or archives of interest.
Newfie
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Return to Welcome