Donate Paypal

PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

US Banking Collapses Pt.1

Discussions about the economic and financial ramifications of PEAK OIL

Re: US Banking Collapses Pt.1

Unread postby careinke » Wed 19 Jul 2023, 10:03:54

Adam,

Of course that is your choice to make. I'll stick with mine. :)

Sometimes it is fun to be a Troll, thanks for your tutelage on the subject, especially since it is so easy now with machine intelligence.

Peace
Cliff (Start a rEVOLution, grow a garden)
careinke
Volunteer
Volunteer

Unread postby AdamB » Wed 19 Jul 2023, 13:24:52

careinke wrote:Adam,
Of course that is your choice to make. I'll stick with mine. :)

But of course.
careinke wrote:Sometimes it is fun to be a Troll, thanks for your tutelage on the subject, especially since it is so easy now with machine intelligence.
Peace

Sometimes trolls aren't trolls, turns out they might be folks who knew peak oil and the related claims of world ending doom were nonsense when everyone else was just spouting gibberish on the topic.

Give it a decade or three, and we'll see if your pimping of mostly useless in personal transactions financial securities turns out to be correct or not. I only needed about a decade to be proven correct, maybe you too can gloat incessantly in another decade or two about being proven right? We'll see I guess.
Plant Thu 27 Jul 2023 "Personally I think the IEA is exactly right when they predict peak oil in the 2020s, especially because it matches my own predictions."

Plant Wed 11 Apr 2007 "I think Deffeyes might have nailed it, and we are just past the overall peak in oil production. (Thanksgiving 2005)"
AdamB
Volunteer
Volunteer

Unread postby theluckycountry » Wed 19 Jul 2023, 19:10:02

careinke wrote:Ok everyone check this out,

I've been playing with "Google Bard" and find it way better than ChatGPT...
Anyway, fooling around I asked Bard to write a pro Bitcoin speech, showing from a permaculture perspective. It wrote it in about 5 seconds.

Resilience: Both permaculture and Bitcoin are designed to be resilient..
Openness and accessibility: Permaculture principles are freely available to anyone who wants to use them. Bitcoin is an open-source project, and anyone can participate in its development.

Thoughts???

Well I think the AI did a very good job. It reads very intelligently and fairly human-like, which is a big thing if we are to digest this sort of output without feeling like were talking to a computer. AI rendered actors are getting very good but there is still that indefinable 'something'... "soul?" that is missing and they jar on me after a while.

As for the actual content, well it's clear the AI has never used BC in the real world. It doesn't function very well as a currency except over short time horizons, like a day, or less. This is because of BC's volatility. Sure the $US and all others go up and down, but only a little over the short time-frame. Retailers absorb these variations, we don't see the price of a new car going up and down thousands of dollars every week, which would be the case if they were priced in bitcoins. So to sell your permaculture produce in BC would be very difficult as you'd have a constant level of uncertainty as to what the value was.

Permaculture too, is dependent on the local weather and climate, where as BC is dependent on a functioning global internet, and with the mining aspect there is no way around that. Ergo it is dependent on a functioning electricity grid, local cell towers, fiber optic networks. In other words BC is highly dependent on many other systems and not at all resilient like permaculture is. No, the AI has simply drawn on the average content of coiner articles and forums which is all upbeat and full of misconception.

BC is merely functioning as a store of wealth now, it's "legitimate" currency function has long been abandoned. And even as a store of wealth it's pretty illiquid I must say. Oh you can sell it in a heartbeat. But @ $29k, when it was $65 not long ago? Who is going to do that? Only the desperate. The average punter is Hodling, for the next bull run, so to speak. And that is hardly the sign of a liquid asset is it. I have quite a bit of gold here, and silver. Bought over the decades and most recently 2 years ago. If I needed cash tomorrow I could take a few in to the dealer and after transaction fees would still be ahead on what I paid for them, even the ones bought 2 years ago.

If those coins I paid $au 2500 for the other year were only worth $1250 I wouldn't dream of selling. But they will sell for $2850, not yet inline with food inflation but certainly better than my cash deposits which are only just now seeing a bit of interest appreciation. This is why Bitcoin is not a good store of value, it's really just a gamble, compounded by the fact that it's getting stolen left right and center. And by the very exchanges that promised to protect it for the hodlers! :roll:
après moi le déluge
theluckycountry
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Previous

Return to Economics & Finance