Donate Bitcoin

Donate Paypal

PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

Fake invisible catastrophes and threats of doom

Fake invisible catastrophes and threats of doom

Unread postby jato0072 » Tue 19 Jul 2022, 01:24:38

Here is Dr. Patrick Moore's description of his unique thesis as presented in Fake Invisible Catastrophes and Threats of Doom."It dawned on me one day that most of the scare stories in the media today are based on things that are invisible, like CO2 and radiation, or very remote, like polar bears and coral reefs. Thus, the average person cannot observe and verify the truth of these claims for themselves. They must rely on activists, the media, politicians, and scientists - all of whom have a huge financial and/or political interest in the subject - to tell them the truth. This is my effort, after 50 years as a scientist and environmental activist, to expose the misinformation and outright lies used to scare us and our children about the future of the Earth.

Link to interesting youtube video by PhD Patrick Moore
"On a long enough time line, the survival rate for everyone drops to zero."
jato0072
Lignite
Lignite

Re: Fake invisible catastrophes and threats of doom

Unread postby FamousDrScanlon » Tue 19 Jul 2022, 02:00:40

Moore left Green peace in a huff over a woman and immediately hired himself out to the other side. The woman aside, I never take anyone seriously who flip flops 180 degrees at the drop of a hat. Moore is a bitter clown, but if you like the circus have at er. Lol.
FamousDrScanlon
Peat
Peat

Unread postby jato0072 » Tue 19 Jul 2022, 15:53:24

Heliocentrism was thought to be true for quite a while.

I think flip flopping is fine, as long as it is based on facts.

IMO It would be better if someone could critique Patrick Moore's ideas, especially on CO2.
jato0072
Lignite
Lignite

Unread postby AdamB » Tue 19 Jul 2022, 17:37:10

jato0072 wrote:Heliocentrism was thought to be true for quite a while.

I think flip flopping is fine, as long as it is based on facts.

So peak oilers are allowed to pretend peak oil was year XXXX, and then flipflop...again...and again..and again....all the while proclaiming it was based on fact? That fact being, they didn't know squat on the topic to begin with, and don't learn along the way? In some parts of the world that is just what stupid people who didn't know anything in the first place do.
Plant Thu 27 Jul 2023 "Personally I think the IEA is exactly right when they predict peak oil in the 2020s, especially because it matches my own predictions."

Plant Wed 11 Apr 2007 "I think Deffeyes might have nailed it, and we are just past the overall peak in oil production. (Thanksgiving 2005)"
AdamB
Volunteer
Volunteer

Unread postby Newfie » Tue 19 Jul 2022, 17:58:05

Covid?
Newfie
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Unread postby theluckycountry » Tue 19 Jul 2022, 19:10:49

jato0072 wrote:
IMO It would be better if someone could critique Patrick Moore's ideas, especially on CO2.

He's a stuffed shirt. He's the guy that said Roundup is 'safe to drink' A shill for the corporations, disavowed by Greenpeace.

Next thread
après moi le déluge
theluckycountry
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby FamousDrScanlon » Wed 20 Jul 2022, 23:41:39

This has to be one of the biggest climate change denier goal post moves of all time. Most of their tribe is doing the same. Latest strategy from think tank central.

Y'all went from climate change is a hoax to human extinction, via Overshoot which includes catastrophic climate change, is a hoax.

That is the farthest goal post moving in history.

The Age of Extinction Is Here — Some of Us Just Don’t Know It Yet

We’re Crossing the Threshold of Survivability — And There’s No Going Back

“Why do you think people are a little freaked out by what I’m talking about these days?”

I was asking my kid sis. She laughed. “You’re basically telling them it’s the end of the world?”

It was the night of the eclipse. A red moon illuminated the sky. 300,000 years had gone by since our kind walked the earth. And now it would never be the same again.

Let me try and tell you how I’ve come to think of the Event, as I’ve begun to call it. The Cataclysm. Extinction. A different earth.

My friends in the Indian Subcontinent tell me stories, these days, that seem like science fiction. The heatwave there is pushing the boundaries of survivability. My other sister says that in the old, beautiful city of artists and poets, eagles are falling dead from the sky. They are just dropping dead and landing on houses, monuments, shops. They can’t fly anymore.

The streets, she says, are lined with dead things. Dogs. Cats. Cows. Animals of all kinds are just there, dead. They’ve perished in the killing heat. They can’t survive.

People, too, try to flee. They run indoors, spend all day in canals and rivers and lakes, and those who can’t, too, line the streets, passed out, pushed to the edge. They’re poor countries. We won’t know how many this heatwave has killed for some time to come. Many won’t even be counted.

Think about all that for a moment. Really stop and think about it. Stop the automatic motions of everyday life you go through and think about it.

You see, my Western friends read stories like this, and then they go back to obsessing over the Kardashians or Wonder Woman or Johnny Depp or Batman. They don’t understand yet. Because this is beyond the limits of what homo sapiens can really comprehend, the Event. That world is coming for them, too.

The analogy is often used to describe “climate change” of frogs in a boiling pot. It’s useful, but only to a certain degree. When the pot boils, they’re taken out and eaten. We were in a boiling pot, and now we’re at the stage where we’re about to get taken out and eaten. This is when things start to get really, really bad — really, really fast.

The way that I’ve come to think of the Event — a species that’s been around for 300,000 years now having altered the climate in ways that haven’t happened for millions of years, triggering an Extinction Event — is this.

Imagine a black hole. Humanity’s lined up before it. Everyone has to march through. Some are at the front of the line. They reach the other side first. Some are at the back of the line. They’re still laughing and joking and pretending, maybe. Nobody much hears from those who’ve gone through, because, well, it’s a black hole. But on the other side, nothing is ever to be the same again.

This is where we are now. We are at the threshold of the Cataclysm. Some of us are now crossing over to the other side, of a different planet, one that’s going to become unlivable. This isn’t “going to happen” or “might happen,” it is actually happening now.

https://eand.co/the-age-of-extinction-i ... 01f5e0c79a

I was telling y'all for more than a decade. Back then most liberals like this guy told me I was crazy, depressed, did not understand the science (I've forgotten more than most of them could hope to know) etc etc. See all those hopey faux environmentalist liberals were deniers too. Now there is fewer of them every hour. Unlike me they were not curious about climate change, how this plant works and the history of this planet - they were in it for the politics. Now no one need look up what runaway climate change via global warming will look like because they along with all 8 billion are living it. It's still early days and the humans have yet to have their big lesson in non-linear climate change and non-linear sea level rise. If you understood what a huge leap can happen in just 1 decade it will make your head spin and you stop your 401K contributions.

Hothouse mass extinctions triggered by large increases of green house gasses are a regular feature on this planet and the only major difference this time is instead of volcanic traps burning up buried carbon and puking up mega amounts of green house gasses we have a very clever and rapacious ape digging up the carbon and burning it for it's own purposes (increased reproductive success and dopamine hits galore). The chemistry & physics is the same and so will be the great die-backs & die-offs. If I'm wagering, the humans will not be around to usher in the next century.

You can say what you want but the fact of the matter is that everyday for the last decade more (not Moore) people have changed their minds and come to agree with my, science, previous mass extinction and paleoclimate record based prediction that the humans are going bye bye and relatively soon.

The only people listening to sad, lonely, industry funded Patrick Moore are that species of men on the endangered list - climate change deniers. White, male, conservative, mostly English speaking, mostly American and mostly without science backgrounds (or genuine curiosity in science) and mostly educated in the US K-12 system which is and has always been the worst k-12 system out of all wealthy or OECD nations. Yet y'all think you are the smartest lol.

Many like to conflate science based extinction predictions with crazy, religious nutter on the sidewalk wearing a switchboard endtimes predictions, but almost no one is buying that logical fallacy anymore.
FamousDrScanlon
Peat
Peat

Unread postby FamousDrScanlon » Thu 21 Jul 2022, 00:01:15

Like CO2, the aids virus is invisible so according to Patrick Moore's "unique thesis" no need for you and Patric Moore to use condoms...... with like minded partners. Bullets, (once fired) are also, for all intents and purposes, invisible. Only frady cats is ascared of bullets eh?

New Research Uncovers Cause of Earth’s Largest Mass Extinction

Findings show rapidly rising carbon dioxide levels were behind the end-Permian event

A new study, led by a Montclair State University researcher and published in Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of the United States of America, holds the key to the largest mass extinction in history – and shows why we may be headed for a similar, significant event.

https://www.montclair.edu/newscenter/20 ... xtinction/
FamousDrScanlon
Peat
Peat

Unread postby FamousDrScanlon » Thu 21 Jul 2022, 00:10:57

Sourcewatch can be fun and informative.

Let's take a look at what they say about/have on Patrick Moore

Patrick Moore

Patrick Moore is a nuclear industry public relations consultant (through his firm Greenspirit Strategies) who denies that humans cause climate change. Moore has consulted for the Nuclear Energy Institute, and the Clean and Safe Energy Coalition. He has worked for the mining industry, the logging industry, PVC manufacturers, the nuclear industry and has worked in defense of biotechnology.

Although Moore was once (1981, 1986) a leading figure with Greenpeace Canada and subsequently with Greenpeace International, in 2008 Greenpeace issued a statement distancing itself from Moore, saying he "exploits long gone ties with Greenpeace to sell himself as a speaker and pro-corporate spokesperson, usually taking positions that Greenpeace opposes."

On Drinking Monsanto's Roundup Pesticide Ingredient

In an interview with French filmmaker Paul Moreira, Patrick Moore claimed that drinking glyphosate was safe, then immediately refused to drink some himself when presented with the opportunity. The interview and Moore's refusal to sample glyphosate came on the heels of a World Health Organization study that found the active ingredient in Monsanto's Roundup herbicide is "probably carcinogenic."[3]. Transcript:[4]

Moore: Do not believe that glyphosate in Argentina is causing increases in cancer. You can drink a whole quart of it and it won't hurt you.

Interviewer: You want to drink some? We have some here.

Moore: I'd be happy to actually... Not, not really, but...

Interviewer: Not really?

Moore: I know it wouldn't hurt me.

Interviewer: If you say so, I have some glyphosate.

Moore: No, I'm not stupid.

Interviewer: OK. So you… So it's dangerous, right?

Moore: No. People try to commit suicide with it and fail, fairly regularly.

Interviewer: Tell the truth. It's dangerous.

Moore: It's not dangerous to humans. No, it's not.

Interviewer: So you are ready to drink one glass of glyphosate?

Moore: No, I'm not an idiot.

Interviewer looks puzzled.

Moore: Interview me about golden rice. That's what I'm talking about.

Interviewer: Really?

Moore: OK. Then it's finished.

Interviewer: Except it's...

Moore: The interview is finished.

Interviewer: That's a good way to solve things.

Moore (getting up to leave): Yeah. You're a complete jerk.

There's much more Moore and it only gets more absurd.

https://www.sourcewatch.org/index.php/Patrick_Moore
FamousDrScanlon
Peat
Peat

Unread postby FamousDrScanlon » Thu 21 Jul 2022, 00:26:46

Pat also consistently lies about his degree which is in forestry not ecology he got back in 1974. Been a shit ton of "updates" in science the last 50 years Pat. Pat lies his ass off and no matter how many times he is caught he keeps lying. A liar and 180 degree flip flopper for cash. Lies about his creds. Lies about whatever industry pays him to lie about

Patrick Moore
Credentials

Honorary Doctorate of Science, North Carolina State University (2005). [1]
Ph.D., Forestry*, University of British Columbia (1974). [1], [97]
Honors B.Sc. in Forest Biology, University of British Columbia. [1]

*Note: Patrick Moore has listed himself with a “Ph.D. in Ecology, Institute of Resource Ecology, University of British Columbia” in his profile at EcoSense and at the Heartland Institute, among others. However, Moore’s thesis at UBC was submitted for a Doctor of Philosophy in the Faculty of Forestry. UBC confirmed by email that Dr. Moore received his Ph.D. from the Faculty of Forestry in 1974. When asked if that degree would be best described as in ecology or forestry, UBC replied: “It would be safer to say Forestry.” [98], [99], [97]

Moore is often incorrectly referred to as a founder of Greenpeace. According to a statement by Greenpeace, “Patrick Moore frequently portrays himself as a founder or co-founder of Greenpeace, and many news outlets have repeated this characterization. Although Mr. Moore played a significant role in Greenpeace Canada for several years, he did not found Greenpeace.” [49], [4]

Although Moore worked with Greenpeace Canada and Greenpeace International between 1981 and 1986, he broke away from the organisation after he concluded that “the environmental movement had abandoned science and logic in favor of emotion and sensationalism.” According to Greenpeace, “what Moore really saw was an opportunity for financial gain. Since then he has gone from defender of the planet to a paid representative of corporate polluters.” [2], [5]

After he left Greenpeace, Moore began work with the Nuclear Energy Institute front group, the Clean and Safe Energy Coalition (CASEnergy). Moore stepped down from his leadership role at CASEnergy in January 2013, however said he would remain an active member. [16], [38], [39],

Moore has worked for the mining industry, the logging industry, PVC manufacturers, the nuclear industry, and in defense of biotechnology. Greenpeace issued a 2010 statement distancing itself from Moore, saying he “exploits long gone ties with Greenpeace to sell himself as a speaker and pro-corporate spokesperson, usually taking positions that Greenpeace opposes.” [5]

Moore has been criticized for his relations with “polluters and clear-cutters” through his consultancy. His primary income since the early 1990s has been consulting and publicly speaking for a variety of corporations and lobby groups such as the Nuclear Energy Institute.

https://www.desmog.com/patrick-moore/
FamousDrScanlon
Peat
Peat

Unread postby FamousDrScanlon » Thu 21 Jul 2022, 00:34:18

Lobbyist Claims Monsanto's Roundup Is Safe To Drink, Freaks Out When Offered A Glass

French television station Canal+ recently sat down with Dr. Patrick Moore for an upcoming documentary. Dr Moore, who claims to be an ecological expert and is currently the frontman for Ecosense Environmental, stated to the interviewer that Monsanto’s weed killer Roundup was not responsible for skyrocketing cancer rates in Argentina.

This is where the interview took a turn for the surreal.
Dr. Moore insisted that Roundup is safe to drink, at which point the interviewer did the only logical thing one could do in that situation. He offered the doctor a glass of the weed killer to allow him an opportunity to back up his statement. The following is the text from that exchange.
Dr. Patrick Moore: “You can drink a whole quart of (Roundup) and it won’t hurt you.”
Canal+: “You want to drink some? We have some here.”
Moore: “I’d be happy to, actually…. Uhh…Not.. Not really. But I know it wouldn’t hurt me.”
Canal+: “If you say so, I have some glyphosate, have some.”
Moore: “No. I’m not stupid.”
Canal+: “So, it’s dangerous, right?
Moore: “No, People try to commit suicide with it and fail; fail regularly.”
Canal+: “Tell the truth, it’s dangerous.”
Moore: “It’s not dangerous to humans.”
Canal+: “So, are you ready to drink one glass?”
Moore: “No, I’m not an idiot. Interview me about golden rice, that’s what I’m talking about.”
Canal+: “We did.”
Moore then abruptly ends the interview by calling the host a “complete jerk” and storms off.
Greenpeace, an organization to which the doctor turned lobbyist belonged in the 1970’s, issued this statement in part in 2008 regarding Dr. Patrick Moore.
Patrick Moore often misrepresents himself in the media as an environmental “expert” or even an “environmentalist,” while offering anti-environmental opinions on a wide range of issues and taking a distinctly anti-environmental stance. He also exploits long-gone ties with Greenpeace to sell himself as a speaker and pro-corporate spokesperson, usually taking positions that Greenpeace opposes.

https://youtu.be/ovKw6YjqSfM

Now that I have proven beyond any doubt that Patrick Moore has zero credibility I bid you adieu. Don't feel too bad. There is no one better at this than me. No shame in getting ass whooped by the best eh?
FamousDrScanlon
Peat
Peat

Unread postby AdamB » Thu 21 Jul 2022, 10:02:36

FamousDrScanlon wrote:Now that I have proven beyond any doubt that Patrick Moore has zero credibility I bid you adieu. Don't feel too bad. There is no one better at this than me. No shame in getting ass whooped by the best eh?

Gotta ask there Famous...um....who gives a crap? Everyone here knows the world is going to end, the only question being when and why.

While I agree that target shooting halfwits can be entertainment, you aren't even doing it to someone capable of defending themselves here. Is shooting at fish in a barrel all you are capable of, intellect wise?
Plant Thu 27 Jul 2023 "Personally I think the IEA is exactly right when they predict peak oil in the 2020s, especially because it matches my own predictions."

Plant Wed 11 Apr 2007 "I think Deffeyes might have nailed it, and we are just past the overall peak in oil production. (Thanksgiving 2005)"
AdamB
Volunteer
Volunteer

Unread postby FamousDrScanlon » Thu 21 Jul 2022, 14:41:24

Adam, if everyone knows then why the denier post featuring professional liar Pat Moore?

Soon they will all know. My only reason for posting is to laugh and say "I told ya!...ha!" Why not if the world is ending anyhow? Or is pretending we are above "I told ya" the latest thing we're denying?

July 19, 2022 / 3:26 PM

Global extinction threat may be much higher than previously thought

July 19 (UPI) -- The threat of extinction to all species on Earth may be much higher than previously thought, a new study suggests, after a biodiversity survey found that about 30% of species have been globally threatened or driven to extinction since the year 1500.

An international team of researchers surveyed a "large and diverse group" of biodiversity experts from around the world "who collectively study all major taxa and habitats in freshwater, terrestrial and marine ecosystems," according to the study published this week in the journal Frontiers in Ecology and the Environment.

The 3,331 biodiversity experts from 113 countries were asked to estimate past and future global biodiversity loss as well as rank factors that drive species to become globally threatened or extinct.

The experts, who had all published significant studies on biodiversity of their own, also ranked the drivers of global biodiversity loss and estimated its impacts on ecosystems and people.

https://www.upi.com/Science_News/2022/0 ... 658254724/

Wadda they know? Probably just chasing "grant money".

Climate change is a self centered attention ho who is never satisfied no matter how much press she gets. As if she is the only existentialist threat to the humans.

Bill Rees knows what he is talking about and he is as far from a sensationalist as you can get.

From 2017

What, Me Worry? Humans Are Blind to Imminent Environmental Collapse

Accelerating biodiversity loss may turn out to be the sleeper issue of the century.

A curious thing about H. sapiens is that we are clever enough to document — in exquisite detail — various trends that portend the collapse of modern civilization, yet not nearly smart enough to extricate ourselves from our self-induced predicament.

In short, H. sapiens depends utterly on a rich diversity of life-forms to provide various life-support functions essential to the existence and continued survival of human civilization. With an unprecedented human-induced great global die-off well under way, what are the chances the functional integrity of the ecosphere will survive the next doubling of material consumption that everyone expects before mid-century?

Here’s the thing: climate change is not the only shadow darkening humanity’s doorstep. While you wouldn’t know it from the mainstream media, biodiversity loss arguably poses an equivalent existential threat to civilized existence.

https://thetyee.ca/Opinion/2017/11/16/h ... -collapse/

The notion of human extinction bothers me not. It's all the suffering leading up to it that I do not want to see.
FamousDrScanlon
Peat
Peat

Unread postby AdamB » Thu 21 Jul 2022, 19:03:10

FamousDrScanlon wrote:Adam, if everyone knows then why the denier post featuring professional liar Pat Moore?

Darned if I know. Ask the alleged denier. And this entire site has been supporting deniers for as long as its been around anyway. Deniers of reserve growth, deniers of geology and how resource economics works to increase oil supply, baically most every Happy McPeakster that around. At least this particular denier not around to defend themselves isn't waiting around for a Rapture event as an excuse to buy guns and ammo and whatnot.

FamousDrScanlon wrote:The notion of human extinction bothers me not. It's all the suffering leading up to it that I do not want to see.

We've all got it coming Famous. And yes, based on everything you wrote, you do sound like the sensitive and caring type. [smilie=eusa_liar.gif]

AdamB
Volunteer
Volunteer

Unread postby jato0072 » Thu 21 Jul 2022, 21:34:35

FamousDrScanlon, thank you for responding with information as opposed to only personally attacking the author.

Do you have a prediction as to the the timeframe global human population will decrease due to "Overshoot which includes catastrophic climate change"?
jato0072
Lignite
Lignite

Unread postby FamousDrScanlon » Sun 31 Jul 2022, 17:00:44

I don't know, but if I'm making a gentleman's wager I would guess that no later than 2040 the population will stagnate then start to decline. Some of it will depend on how the various societies choose to act. I'm guessing badly, but I would love to be proven wrong. Throughout history elites have been known to turn their back on their people and let them starve. Have we progressed beyond that or will it be another repeat?

The man once explained why humans seem to rinse and repeat in spite of knowing how not to.

“Whoever wishes to foresee the future must consult the past; for human events ever resemble those of preceding times. This arises from the fact that they are produced by men who ever have been, and ever shall be, animated by the same passions, and thus they necessarily have the same results.”
-- Niccolo Machiavelli
FamousDrScanlon
Peat
Peat

Unread postby jato0072 » Sun 31 Jul 2022, 18:10:12

Throughout history elites have been known to turn their back on their people and let them starve.

I completely agree.

Have we progressed beyond that or will it be another repeat?

This is where we probably differ. I don't see the human species having a choice. Humans will follow their programming. Which I imagine will involve simultaneous cooperation and competition for the remaining global resources (including fossil fuels). The boom and bust cycles will continue as we bounce down the resource and population curves. Once the fossil fuels are gone and the "renewable" solar panels and windmills are gone, human population will settle into a new, much lower level (100+ years, who knows).
jato0072
Lignite
Lignite

Unread postby Doly » Mon 01 Aug 2022, 15:03:18

Throughout history elites have been known to turn their back on their people and let them starve. Have we progressed beyond that or will it be another repeat?

There is little or no sign whatsoever of progress on that regard. Inequality has been rising.
Doly
Expert
Expert

Return to Environment, Weather & Climate