Donate Bitcoin

Donate Paypal

PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

Politics OTSF THE Gasoline Price Thread 2013-2022

A forum for discussion of regional topics including oil depletion but also government, society, and the future.

Re: THE Gasoline Price Thread 2013-2022

Unread postby AdamB » Fri 03 Jun 2022, 16:58:55

vtsnowedin wrote: That implies you swung back up to New England to pick it back up? Sounds terribly inconvenient.

Family in PA. Then into NJ (bad), Manhattan (worse), Long Island (still bad), and then to the Adirondacks. And Vermont. And back to upper NY. Then Vermont again. Then New Hampshire (your roads are better than theirs). Then Massachusetts and Connecticut. Submarine Force Museum. Woo Hoo! Cross Sound fairy, and back on that god forsaken island. And then out of there as fast as possible. Collect the appropriate self defense armament and head west as quickly as possible. New England is okay, the farther from the big cities the better of course.

The Adirondacks and museum were my primary interest on this walk about.
Plant Thu 27 Jul 2023 "Personally I think the IEA is exactly right when they predict peak oil in the 2020s, especially because it matches my own predictions."

Plant Wed 11 Apr 2007 "I think Deffeyes might have nailed it, and we are just past the overall peak in oil production. (Thanksgiving 2005)"
AdamB
Volunteer
Volunteer

Politics OTSF THE Gasoline Price Thread 2013-2022

Unread postby Doly » Thu 09 Jun 2022, 15:02:51

Fortunately, the circumstances of drill baby drill came along and in addition to making peak oilers look like fools, saved his bacon on this particular metric.

And what is so fortunate about drill baby drill? All it did was delay the inevitable for a few years. And making peak oiler look like fools isn't fortunate, when it means that these days, Western leaders appear to have no idea that putting sanctions on Russian oil is the way to take oil prices so high that they're going off the chart.
Doly
Expert
Expert

Unread postby vtsnowedin » Thu 09 Jun 2022, 19:10:47

I think the Democrats are going to take a shellacking, or Whopping if you prefer, on several fronts. Inflation, high gas and other energy prices, food prices, empty shelves of baby formula, crime, The border mess, etc.
I can't think of one thing they have got right and I have zero hope of them seeing reality and changing course on anything.
The constitution says we have to suffer through their incompetence for another thirty months and I see those months as very grim indeed.
vtsnowedin
Fusion
Fusion

Unread postby theluckycountry » Thu 09 Jun 2022, 20:57:56

vtsnowedin wrote:I think the Democrats are going to take a shellacking...

suffer through their incompetence for another thirty months and I see those months as very grim indeed.

Or longer. Traditionally voters never change government if a war is started during the term. Governments know this, and may decide to send in troops prior to the future election...
Nothing is what it seems.
après moi le déluge
theluckycountry
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby AdamB » Thu 09 Jun 2022, 23:28:48

vtsnowedin wrote:I think the Democrats are going to take a shellacking, or Whopping if you prefer, on several fronts. Inflation, high gas and other energy prices, food prices, empty shelves of baby formula, crime, The border mess, etc.

The electorate did the same thing in 2018, for different reasons, mostly related to wack-a-doodle being a little too obvious. Turns out, midterm shellackings are pretty common, as American's vacilitate between the only two brands allowed by the oligarchs.

vtsnowedin wrote: I can't think of one thing they have got right and I have zero hope of them seeing reality and changing course on anything.

Oh one thing is easy, and quite important, i.e. stopping the biggest recession since the Great Depression. What can we say, when Trump mismanages...well....everything...we have to be thankful that all he cratered was America's reputation abroad and the economy.

vtsnowedin wrote:
The constitution says we have to suffer through their incompetence for another thirty months and I see those months as very grim indeed.

Well, we survived the 48 months before Biden saved us from Trump's recession, I imagine we'll get through the Democans and their shenanigans.
Plant Thu 27 Jul 2023 "Personally I think the IEA is exactly right when they predict peak oil in the 2020s, especially because it matches my own predictions."

Plant Wed 11 Apr 2007 "I think Deffeyes might have nailed it, and we are just past the overall peak in oil production. (Thanksgiving 2005)"
AdamB
Volunteer
Volunteer

Unread postby vtsnowedin » Fri 10 Jun 2022, 04:38:17

AdamB wrote:
Well, we survived the 48 months before Biden saved us from Trump's recession, I imagine we'll get through the Democans and their shenanigans.

Again you are blaming Trump for the Covid lockdown caused recession.
But even if it was all Trumps fault and you call it a great recession I'd take back those economic conditions in a heartbeat compared to today's and the months ahead.
vtsnowedin
Fusion
Fusion

Unread postby AdamB » Fri 10 Jun 2022, 09:02:13

vtsnowedin wrote:
AdamB wrote:

Again you are blaming Trump for the Covid lockdown caused recession.

I'm blaming the administration in charge at the time for what happens on their watch, same as you. How were Trump voters to know in 2016 that when they elected a blowhard seditionist to the highest office you would get complete incompetence in pandemic mismanagement as a bonus skill? Don't take this from me...

vtsnowedin wrote: But even if it was all Trumps fault and you call it a great recession I'd take back those economic conditions in a heartbeat compared to today's and the months ahead.

The past is the known. The future is not. Just as it was Obama who fixed Bush's recession and then handed off a fully functioning economy and global oil and gas powerhouse to a management incompetent, you never know what the future might bring naturally that Biden would get credit for in the 2nd half of his term.

AdamB
Volunteer
Volunteer

Unread postby vtsnowedin » Fri 10 Jun 2022, 09:11:42

you would get complete incompetence in pandemic mismanagement as a bonus skill?

You are saying getting effective vaccines developed ,approved and starting to be distributed in a matter of months not the usual years is incompetence?
How can you be so blind?
"The future is not known" ,correct, but we certainly can see the present and it is a disaster.
And as they are unwilling to admit any mistakes any useful changes in policy are unlikely at least until the midterms drive home the point of public anger.
vtsnowedin
Fusion
Fusion

Unread postby Doly » Fri 10 Jun 2022, 14:10:44

Putting people in jail for daring to want to protect themselves, yes, they might not have "L" emblazoned on their forehead, but whatever you call them, they aren't like normal folk.

Your definition of "normal" seems to exclude not just American liberals, but the vast majority of non-Americans, that agree that people should not be carrying guns at all unless there is an excellent, preferably professional, reason to do so.
Doly
Expert
Expert

Unread postby vtsnowedin » Fri 10 Jun 2022, 14:18:03

Doly wrote:
Putting people in jail for daring to want to protect themselves, yes, they might not have "L" emblazoned on their forehead, but whatever you call them, they aren't like normal folk.

Your definition of "normal" seems to exclude not just American liberals, but the vast majority of non-Americans, that agree that people should not be carrying guns at all unless there is an excellent, preferably professional, reason to do so.

I don't see who you are quoting and replying to here. Post it on the wrong thread perhaps?
vtsnowedin
Fusion
Fusion

Unread postby AdamB » Fri 10 Jun 2022, 17:21:19

vtsnowedin wrote:
you would get complete incompetence in pandemic mismanagement as a bonus skill?

You are saying getting effective vaccines developed ,approved and starting to be distributed in a matter of months not the usual years is incompetence?

Trump said there were only a few cases in the country, and they would be gone by the end of March 2020. He didn't have anything to do with the professional bureaucrat response other than make those poor schmucks look bad when he suggested the disinfectant and bright lights were the way to go. Could that moron even spell vaccine do you think? And his policies were fantastic....and led to the largest recession since the Great Depression. Bravo Dear Leader!!

Oh yes, he did have the 5 IQ points necessary to sign the paperwork saying that folks with triple digit IQs could begin working the vaccines. Thank God he isn't so mentally retarded that he can still sign his name.

vtsnowedin wrote: How can you be so blind?

I am not blind, I believe he had the signing of the paperwork televised. I didn't see anyone whispering the letters of his name so he could scribble it, so I give him appropriate credit for doing what the professionals convinced him of in the Oval Office, after they took away his rattle and pacifier and pushed him in front of the cameras.

And obviously I'm not blind, because I watched the press conference where the bright lights and disinfectant ideas were treated by the press far better than anyone above the age of 8 should have. Riotous laughter should have been the response. If not shock. So no...eyes are great. What did you see during that press conference? I mean, besides a misogynist xenophobic draft dodging con man who stiffs vendors as part of his regular business operations and appears to be a sexual predator of some sort?

vtsnowedin wrote:"The future is not known" ,correct, but we certainly can see the present and it is a disaster.

The present is expensive. What, you missed the 70's? You've mentioned that inflation before, what, suffering amnesia now? You just figured everything would be peaches and cream for the rest of your life?

vtsnowedin wrote:And as they are unwilling to admit any mistakes any useful changes in policy are unlikely at least until the midterms drive home the point of public anger.

And you figure you and your like minded Republicrats will replace Leahy this election cycle? What with all this anger? Or will Vermont stay tried and true and not like you?

AdamB
Volunteer
Volunteer

Unread postby vtsnowedin » Fri 10 Jun 2022, 18:33:09

AdamB wrote:
vtsnowedin wrote:And as they are unwilling to admit any mistakes any useful changes in policy are unlikely at least until the midterms drive home the point of public anger.

And you figure you and your like minded Republicrats will replace Leahy this election cycle? What with all this anger? Or will Vermont stay tried and true and not like you?

Well Leahy retired but unfortunately Welch our current D congressman who is 75 years old is running for the seat and will probably get it. I'll vote for the Republican challenger of course but the state is now just too Blue to have much hope.
I do expect Republican clear majorities in both house and Senate based on current polls.
vtsnowedin
Fusion
Fusion

Unread postby Plantagenet » Sat 11 Jun 2022, 00:57:05

AdamB wrote:....I imagine we'll get through the Democans and their shenanigans.

Hard to say.

Biden has unleashed the worst inflation in the last 40 years.

Inflation is a major economic problem and Biden and the Ds seem to have no idea what to do about it. The usual D strategy of deflecting blame doesn't work when everyone can see the price increases happening all around us every day.

The real question is just how bad inflation will get in the next 2.5 years of the Biden presidency .....

Cheers!
Never underestimate the ability of Joe Biden to f#@% things up---Barack Obama
-----------------------------------------------------------
Keep running between the raindrops.
Plantagenet
Expert
Expert

Re: Politics OTSF THE Gasoline Price Thread 2013-2022

Unread postby JuanP » Sat 11 Jun 2022, 07:22:17

The high gasoline prices are Putin's fault! I know this as a fact because I read multiple articles about it on Western MSM. The same goes for high food prices.
"Human stupidity has no limits" JuanP
JuanP
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

Previous

Return to North America Discussion