Donate Bitcoin

Donate Paypal

PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

THINGS IVE LEARNED IN ISOLATION

What's on your mind?
General interest discussions, not necessarily related to depletion.

THINGS IVE LEARNED IN ISOLATION

Unread postby Newfie » Sat 28 Mar 2020, 11:52:18

How to make baked Caribbean yams - involves eggs, brown sugar, lime and rum. Not half bad. Not much like our yams.

How to make coleslaw.
Newfie
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Re: THINGS IVE LEARNED IN ISOLATION

Unread postby Tanada » Sat 28 Mar 2020, 18:54:34

Newfie wrote:How to make baked Caribbean yams - involves eggs, brown sugar, lime and rum. Not half bad. Not much like our yams.

How to make coleslaw.

Do they grow Cassava there? I have never had it myself but hear it makes a great sweet potato substitute in cooking.
Alfred Tennyson wrote:We are not now that strength which in old days
Moved earth and heaven, that which we are, we are;
One equal temper of heroic hearts,
Made weak by time and fate, but strong in will
To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield.
Tanada
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread postby Ibon » Sat 28 Mar 2020, 19:48:45

Tanada wrote:
Newfie wrote:How to make baked Caribbean yams - involves eggs, brown sugar, lime and rum. Not half bad. Not much like our yams.

How to make coleslaw.

Do they grow Cassava there? I have never had it myself but hear it makes a great sweet potato substitute in cooking.

Yucca and Cassava are both names for the same crop. Here in Panama it is grown and eaten cooked in soups or fried.

In the Philippines however they make a desert out of it, Cassava cake. My wife made this for our staff and construction workers about 7 years ago and the locals had never eaten it as a desert and it was a total hit, everyone asking my wife for the recipe. In the meantime in these 8 years it has become a common desert in Volcan, the closest town.

It has been fun to see how my wife introduced this new way to use this crop and how it took hold and spread through the town.
Patiently awaiting the pathogens. Our resiliency resembles an invasive weed. We are the Kudzu Ape
blog: http://blog.mounttotumas.com/
Ibon
Expert
Expert

Unread postby Newfie » Sun 29 Mar 2020, 07:20:41

I’ve only had cassava bread once, I’m not a big bread fan to start and with, I was not impressed. Maybe as a desert.

They seem to have posts of sweet potatoes here. I got the yams thinking they were like back home, they are not. A bit more like baking potatoes.

Also thy have put on a short term but absolute curfew. 10pm Sat to 8am Tuesday. They have 11 cases, they think they have them all. I guess they want to make sure.
Newfie
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Unread postby Newfie » Sun 29 Mar 2020, 17:34:48

Just remember I’m sampling a Ginger Infused rum while writing this. POTENT TASTE! In PA they have closed the liquor stores, non-essential. Wine and beer is still available. Elsewhere, on a cruising forum, where liquor is well accepted, people are freaking bout about this.

According to a RN working in a locked down psych unit closing the liquor stores will cause a flood of people on DT’s and other withdrawal stamp time into the already over flowing hospitals. Others are going on about how they have friends who are already having a very difficult time in self isolation and if you took their booze they would freak out. And don’t even talk about cigarettes.

So that’s guess I’m the AH. My attitude is; OK, let the chips fall where they may.

I’m if the opinion we have a large number of marginal people in our society. That society pays a price to keep them around. We can afford this largess because of our wealth. But it is a “extra benefit” that goes beyond providing for “Life, Livery and the pursuit of Happiness”.

So I find it interesting that we are being asked to make a moral decision about whims life to protect; that of a deep drunk or an aged person.

In my estimation the decision is clear. However I find myself shocked to be in the minority.
Newfie
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Unread postby lanarhoad1 » Mon 10 May 2021, 15:42:46

Newfie wrote:I’ve only had cassava bread once, I’m not a big bread fan to start and with, I was not impressed. Maybe as a desert.

They seem to have posts of sweet potatoes here. I got the yams thinking they were like back home, they are not. A bit more like baking potatoes.

Also thy have put on a short term but absolute curfew. 10pm Sat to 8am Tuesday. They have 11 cases, they think they have them all. I guess they want to make sure.

I learnt to design cosplay, recently I designed star wars cosplay and I even sell ity.
lanarhoad1
Wood
Wood

Unread postby Newfie » Wed 12 May 2021, 08:30:58

I needed to make some fiberglass port hole rings, 10 identical. That meant making a Plug and mold and the casting the identical parts. The best instructive videos I found were from some coplay folks making replicas. :-D

Welcome aboard.
Newfie
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Unread postby esarhodes » Tue 15 Feb 2022, 03:13:32

I have learn many things too. For example illustration, little bit of cooking, animation and some other things.
esarhodes
Wood
Wood

Unread postby Newfie » Thu 17 Feb 2022, 18:52:38

Good for you.
Newfie
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Unread postby evilgenius » Sun 20 Feb 2022, 11:02:16

Newfie wrote:I needed to make some fiberglass port hole rings, 10 identical. That meant making a Plug and mold and the casting the identical parts. The best instructive videos I found were from some coplay folks making replicas. :-D

Welcome aboard.

I love cosplay. It makes the world a much more interesting place sometimes. It makes you realize how much of everything you see everyday is made up of emotion, alongside whatever it is that we call reality.
evilgenius
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Return to Open Topic Discussion