Donate Bitcoin

Donate Paypal

PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

THE Vaccine Thread Pt.2

Discussions related to the physiological and psychological effects of peak oil on our members and future generations.

Re: THE Vaccine Thread Pt.2

Unread postby Outcast_Searcher » Tue 03 Aug 2021, 15:19:04

Newfie wrote:There is some maxim in politics that something like 20% of the population is 100% set as hard right and 20% as hard left, there is no chance of ever changing their minds, no matter what.

I think it is kind of like that with the vaccines, there is a group who are unreachable by logic.

I see it as another expression of the Pareto Proncipal.

But then, those 20% anti-vax do eventually het antibodies, it is just through getting the virus. They, more or less, end up “vaccinated” through the process of getting sick.

So this whole thing will eventually blow over; and we will all be vaccinated, some from the vaccine, some from the virus. Just takes more time and costs more money.

Good points. The main issue is that the vaccines apparently are likely to confer longer term immunity, per multiple articles I've read from credible sources, vs. proper vaccination from the vaccines approved in the US.

I am facing this today on a personal level. My 60ish year old brother in law refuses to be vaccinated because he already had Covid-19 (in spring 2020, through ignoring ALL the medical advice given the public, and not believing the virus was real, truly Trump evangelist style).

So how much license should such otherwise competent adults be given to endanger society? He has a family with a wife, 4 children, two elderly and VERY fragile parents, etc. All of which he has a LOT of contact with. And his job in sales means he comes in close contact with a HELL of a lot of people in his job.

Yet he steadfastly refuses to get vaccinated, and to hell with everyone else. Which runs parallel, IMO, with him being for ANY teachings re ANY evolution theory being just FINE in school, as though everyone has equal standing to substitute their unscientific opinion for science (and of course, "that's what God wants"). **sigh**.

I think that at some point, enough is enough. OTOH, I am in NO way a politician and have no desire to ever be, so I don't care what "popular opinion", despite all evidence, might be.
Given the track record of the perma-doomer blogs, I wouldn't bet a fast crash doomer's money on their predictions.
Outcast_Searcher
COB
COB

Re: THE Vaccine Thread Pt.2

Unread postby Newfie » Tue 03 Aug 2021, 19:12:05

IIRC Donald and Melina were vaccinated in January and urged others to do the same.

As to your BIL, let him go, it is his business. There is sod all you can do about it anyway. If you don’t like it then just stay away.

There is another old maxim, the only person you can change is yourself.
Newfie
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Previous

Return to Medical Issues Forum