Donate Bitcoin

Donate Paypal

PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

Vaclav Smil, Energy and Civilization: A History

A forum to either submit your own review of a book, video or audio interview, or to post reviews by others.

Vaclav Smil, Energy and Civilization: A History

Unread postby yportne » Tue 04 Jul 2017, 20:30:59

Has anyone reviewed the new book Energy and Civilization: A History. I believe that it ranks with the best books ever written on energy. I note that Bill Gates rates Smil as a favorite author.
yportne
Wood
Wood

Re: Vaclav Smil, Energy and Civilization: A History

Unread postby Tuike » Fri 06 Mar 2020, 14:10:38

I just finished reading the Finnish edition of the book. Great stuff. There are alot of numbers in this book, so if you're allergic to math you might get symptoms. Numbers are just for comparison, you don't have to calculate anything. Please note, this is not a peak oil book but a history book. However, the author has an opinion on peak oil in the final chapter. I'm not going to translate the Finnish translation back to English, but basically he says we should not worry about energy shortage, but voluntarily decrease fossil fuel use because of greenhouse gases.

I think this history book is much more important than some common history book about old king's human relationships and pointless wars.
Tuike
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

Return to Book/Media Reviews