Donate Bitcoin

Donate Paypal

PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

Arctic Blast Weather

Arctic Blast Weather

Unread postby Sixstrings » Sun 11 Jan 2015, 03:11:49

A rare 'ice halo' was seen above New Mexico has as the arctic blast continued to make its way across the country, causing temperatures to plummet below freezing in dozens of cities.

The optical phenomenon was captured by Texan photographer Joshua Thomas above the town of Red River - which has experienced sub-zero temperatures throughout the last few days.

The variety of rings and arcs in the sky are formed by light interacting with ice crystals suspended in the atmosphere during the cold weather.
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2904959/Rare-ice-halo-seen-sky-New-Mexico-arctic-blast-continues-sweep-chill-expected-Thursday.html

I think there's something about climate change that's making winters colder, and stranger.
Sixstrings
Fusion
Fusion

Re: Rare ice halo in New Mexico

Unread postby Newfie » Sun 11 Jan 2015, 10:28:53

Super, nice!

The coolest thing I've seen is a moon bow.
Newfie
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Unread postby Keith_McClary » Sun 11 Jan 2015, 12:40:07

I saw a halo display from this lift:
They were not just towards the sun, but all around, above and below.
Facebook knows you're a dog.
Keith_McClary
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby clif » Wed 14 Jan 2015, 04:49:45

I think there's something about climate change that's making winters colder, and stranger.

Yes the changes in the jet stream humans have created by adding all the sequestered Carbon from deep in the earth into the biosphere leading added heat(IE energy) the climate uses to push fronts much further both northward and southward from historical norms.
How cathartic it is to give voice to your fury, to wallow in self-righteousness, in helplessness, in self-serving self-pity.
clif
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

Re: Arctic Blast Weather

Unread postby Tanada » Tue 12 Nov 2019, 04:59:08

Curious about where you are and letting you know about here.

Veterans Day 2019 in NW Ohio started with a mixture or rain and sleet that lasted from 6AM to about 2 PM when it transitioned into big wet snow flakes. By 5:30PM when the sun set it was strong winds with powder snow flying horizontal everywhere and starting to drift as temperatures continued to fall. As of Midnite it was 24 degrees F and falling with a 10F wind chill and continuing powder snow in spurts. Forecast is for temperatures to fall all afternoon and overnight bottoming at 7F Wednesday around 7AM. Daytime Wednesday forecast is gradual warming to near normal at 6 PM to around 26F.

This weather is a sharp sudden blast, the grass in my yard is still green and until the rain yesterday many trees in my neighborhood still had a few leaves grimly clinging to their branches. We have been getting typical frosts but normally it all has melted off by 10AM. This is the earliest I can remember a substantial snow fall in decades, though it is not unprecedented it is quite rare.

To show how sharp this blast is yesterday dawned 42F with rain and ended 20F with snow. Record low here for November 11 is 14F so no new record there. Record low for November 12 is 16F set in 1913, if the forecast is correct we will break that about 9PM tonight ans set a new record for this date just before midnite as temps continue to fall. Record low for November 13 is 11F and if the forecast turns out to be correct we will set a new record before dawn on the 13th as well.

So that is how things are here, sharply and unpleasantly. How are things in your locale?
Alfred Tennyson wrote:We are not now that strength which in old days
Moved earth and heaven, that which we are, we are;
One equal temper of heroic hearts,
Made weak by time and fate, but strong in will
To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield.
Tanada
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread postby Newfie » Tue 12 Nov 2019, 07:26:57

Grenada

Image[/URL]
Newfie
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Unread postby Azothius » Tue 12 Nov 2019, 18:06:16

Leading up to the 11th In Robbinsdale, MN (suburb of Minneapolis), we went from cold to colder, from below average temps to well below average. though I wasn't in a place to track precise details, I can say that on the 11th at around 6:30 pm, one site said that the temp was 11 degrees, with a windchill of minus 5. Those are our January temps.

On the 11th:
our high was 18*
average high is 43*
our low was 5*
average low is 28*
the record low is -4*

Warmer today with temps continuing to warm the next couple of days, but still below average.
Ragnarok is Coming
Azothius
Lignite
Lignite

Unread postby Tanada » Thu 14 Nov 2019, 12:33:50

As it turns out the weather prediction folks got it right, we set a new record of 12F on the 12th and a new record of 7F on the 13th. We are still a few degrees below average but nothing out of the normal weather cycle today.
Tanada
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread postby dolanbaker » Fri 15 Nov 2019, 17:51:10

Temperatures here in the Irish midlands are significantly (by Irish standards) below average for this time of year, Its about 2 degrees at the moment just above freezing it has not reached 10 for several days and that is unusual for this early in the winter.
Religion is regarded by the common people as true, by the wise as false, and by rulers as useful.:Anonymous
Our whole economy is based on planned obsolescence.
Hungrymoggy "I am now predicting that Europe will NUKE ITSELF sometime in the first week of January"
dolanbaker
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby EdwinSm » Sat 16 Nov 2019, 03:21:08

Meanwhile, here in Finland, the temperatures are ABOVE average for this time of year. I guess we are balancing out some of the colder places.
EdwinSm
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

Unread postby Nefarious » Sat 16 Nov 2019, 12:14:42

A lot colder than average by far. The Arctic front that came though blew out hundreds of record lows for this time of year. A good amount of those records were over 100 years old.
'By the pricking of my thumbs,Something Wicked This Way Comes."
Nefarious
Coal
Coal

Unread postby Tanada » Sat 16 Nov 2019, 13:19:47

Nefarious wrote:A lot colder than average by far. The Arctic front that came though blew out hundreds of record lows for this time of year. A good amount of those records were over 100 years old.

Indeed, I believe both ow records broken this week were set in 1913, 106 years ago.
Tanada
Site Admin
Site Admin

Return to Environment, Weather & Climate