Donate Bitcoin

Donate Paypal

PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

Saudi Aramco IPO

Discussions about the economic and financial ramifications of PEAK OIL

Re: Saudi Aramco IPO

Unread postby rockdoc123 » Fri 12 Apr 2019, 09:58:50

Look---I'll help you out. Check out this glossary of common acronyms used in the oil biz.

Not sure where the author of this "glossary" gets his terms from as no source for the definition is provided. It is not an acronym widely used in the oil industry as you no doubt know since this is the only "glossary" that has it. The Schlumberger Oilfield Glossary which is the industry go to for all acronyms commonly used does not contain it and that glossary has been continually updated for the last twenty years. MSC is an acronym used all over the place, here is a link with 202 uses https://acronyms.thefreedictionary.com/MSC

Irrespective let me remind you that the prospectus does not define what the acronym MSC means in its expanded form other than to define it in their definitions section as:

The average maximum number of barrels per day of crude oil that can be produced for one year during any future planning period, after taking into account all planned capital expenditures and maintenance, repair and operating costs, and after being given three months to make operational adjustments.

that is the definition...what the letters stand for is immaterial given we know what they mean ...they defined it.

As to the rest of your blather let me also remind you that you claimed it was MPC....what the frig does that mean? Please find us where that acronym is used in the prospectus or better yet find where it is used in the oil and gas industry other than to describe Marathon Petroleum Corporation. Not sure why you appear to be so smug here when it is clear you have never read the prospectus. :roll:
rockdoc123
Expert
Expert

Unread postby Plantagenet » Fri 12 Apr 2019, 16:09:09

MSC is an acronym used all over the place, here is a link with 202 uses https://acronyms.thefreedictionary.com/MSC

Now you're being silly. Citing totally unrelated acroynms that have nothing to do with the oil biz is intellectually dishonest and a total waste of time.

Why not just face facts? The acronym MSC in the oil biz refers to the MAXIMUM SUSTAINABLE CAPACITY of oilfields. This term has been in usage for decades in the oil biz. For instance, check out the definition given by the Oil and Gas Dictionary

maximum+sustainable+capacity

Do you get it now?

Cheers!
"Its a brave new world"
---President Obama, 4/25/16
Plantagenet
Expert
Expert

Unread postby rockdoc123 » Fri 12 Apr 2019, 17:39:39

Why not just face facts? The acronym MSC in the oil biz refers to the MAXIMUM SUSTAINABLE CAPACITY of oilfields. This term has been in usage for decades in the oil biz. For instance, check out the definition given by the Oil and Gas Dictionar

I know what maximum sustainable capacity means, please show where in that dictionary it uses the acronym MSC? It doesn't.

Which is why I said it doesn't frigging matter what MSC stands for as Aramco defines precisely what it means under the terms used. It could stand for virtually anything in terms of words but the definition is the definition in terms of this agreement. That is the way legal documents work...when something is defined in the terms portion that definition holds throughout the document. The following from the prospectus.

MSC - The average maximum number of barrels per day of crude oil that can be produced for one year during any future planning period, after taking into account all planned capital expenditures and maintenance, repair and operating costs, and after being given three months to make operational adjustments.

I'm still waiting to see where it states MPC somewhere in that document. You want to get to talk about pointing to unrelated acronyms?
Pot meet Kettle. :roll:
rockdoc123
Expert
Expert

Unread postby Plantagenet » Fri 12 Apr 2019, 18:12:33

, please show where in that dictionary it uses the acronym MSC? It doesn't.

Jeez you are slow. We are making progress though--- you seem to have given up on your dumb idea that MSC stands for maximum spare capacity.

I'll try once again and see if you can get it this time.

1. Acronyms are abbreviations. They are formed by taking the first letter of each word in a set of words that is being abbreviated.

2. The acronym MSC used in the Aramco releases concerning the oil production capability of Ghawar and other Saudi oilfields stands for Maximum Sustainable Capacity, which is defined in the dictionary of oil and gas which I linked to in my last post. The first letter of Maximum is M---the first letter of Sustainable is S and the first letter of Capacity is C, so the acronym for Maximum Sustainable Capacity is MSC.

3. Do you get it now? :lol: :P :roll: :razz: :-D

CHEERS!
"Its a brave new world"
Plantagenet
Expert
Expert

Unread postby rockdoc123 » Fri 12 Apr 2019, 19:27:29

2. The acronym MSC used in the Aramco releases concerning the oil production capability of Ghawar and other Saudi oilfields stands for Maximum Sustainable Capacity, which is defined in the dictionary of oil and gas which I linked to in my last post. The first letter of Maximum is M---the first letter of Sustainable is S and the first letter of Capacity is C, so the acronym for Maximum Sustainable Capacity is MSC.

does it say that in the Prospectus? If so where? Let me make it simple for you it does not.

They define MSC as

MSC - The average maximum number of barrels per day of crude oil that can be produced for one year during any future planning period, after taking into account all planned capital expenditures and maintenance, repair and operating costs, and after being given three months to make operational adjustments.

that definition doesn't match yours of maximum sustainable capacity and here again the questions you keep dodging:

1. where in your "dictionary" does it say maximum sustainable capacity is denoted by MSC? It doesn't. That's the simple answer.
2. where in the prospectus do they even mention an acronym MPC which you claimed they did? It doesn't. That's the simple answer.

OK. And because you are a bit slow when it comes to contract language apparently....when they define a term which they did in the prospectus that is precisely what they mean and what it means. Did they say maximum sustainable capacity? No they did not. Did they mean that? Who knows given this is not a common acronym in the industry. And in fact it doesn't matter because they define it. But if you can find somewhere a definition matching exactly what Aramco uses in the prospectus and uses that acronym, well then more power to you.

and the final question:
3. WTF does it matter what the initials MSC stand for? They define the term and that is all that matters.

you are making assumptions that are unwarranted at the same time as trying to steer the conversation away from your original claim about something called "MPC".

Give it a break. You are merely making yourself look more foolish with each post.
rockdoc123
Expert
Expert

Unread postby Plantagenet » Sat 13 Apr 2019, 11:18:10

Now you've got it. Finally.

I see you've abandoned your idiotic claim that MSC in the prospectus was an acronym for "maximum spare capacity."

Its about time. I had only had to explain it to you eight times before you got it. :lol: :-D :roll: :) :mrgreen:

SHEESH!

Cheers!
"Its a brave new world"
Plantagenet
Expert
Expert

Unread postby rockdoc123 » Sat 13 Apr 2019, 12:22:00

Now you've got it. Finally.

Really? That definition doesn't say "maximum sustainable capacity" anywhere does it? How do you suddenly think this supports your argument? Give your head a shake.

I see you've abandoned your idiotic claim that MSC in the prospectus was an acronym for "maximum spare capacity."

well that's a good one coming from the moron who claimed it is "MPC". Once again show us where that acronym appears in the prospectus. Lets go back to what you wrote

Here's an interesting take on the new MPC estimate of 3.5 million barrels/day of oil production for Ghawar, from a story reposted on the PeakOil.com news page:

ghawar-nightmare

This person is claiming that the new D & M review of the MPC for Ghawar and other Saudi oilfields isn't actually an estimate of the current MPC for Ghawar and the other Saudi Oilfields, but instead is an estimate of the average MPC over the next 50 years.

In this case the numbers in the D & M report would just be the results of numerical model runs rather then actually being the current MPC numbers that the D & M report says they are.

It really amazes me when people don't understand what they read. I see this so often. Many people see what they want to see---their wires are crossed somehow so they don't understand what the words they are reading actually say.

The D & M report clearly states the MPC numbers for Ghawar are the best estimate of the current actual number, reflecting the current actual condition of the oilfield. Its clearly not a number from a numerical model projecting production five decades into the future because the D & M report never says that.

Its D & M's best estimate of the current MPC for Ghawar.

And its interesting that its more than 20% lower then MPC estimates for Ghawar made just a few years ago.

The D & M independent review therefore implies that production at Ghawar has now fallen significantly from its peak.

How hard is that to understand? Just take an honest look at the data.

Besides referencing an acronym that doesn't exist you also showed your ignorance of how any of this is done. Degolyer and Macnaughton have nothing to do with MSC...they don't designate it and they do not calculate it. What they do is look at the reserves for each field and report on that. The only place that production levels come into play in their analysis is when they calculate an NPV for the field reserves and that is based on production values given to them. If you bothered to read the prospectus or the excerpts I have posted here you would realize it is the government of SA that sets the level of MSC for Aramco and Aramco then decides how to distribute the MSC around amongst their fields keeping in mind they want to maximize recovery and take advantage of changing demand for various oil grades.
It might help if you actually read the prospectus before you beak off about someone else's understanding of it. :roll:
rockdoc123
Expert
Expert

Unread postby Plantagenet » Sat 13 Apr 2019, 12:26:30

Give your head a shake.

Bonk your head into a table.

Cheers!
"Its a brave new world"
Plantagenet
Expert