Donate Bitcoin

Donate Paypal

PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

Tin Star - an Amazon Prime exclusive series

A forum to either submit your own review of a book, video or audio interview, or to post reviews by others.

Tin Star - an Amazon Prime exclusive series

Unread postby KaiserJeep » Wed 18 Oct 2017, 13:15:34

Tin Star is a current (Season 1 is 2017) limited distribution (just Amazon Prime at the moment) TV series about life in a small Canadian town, which had been slowly dying, but is now being transformed by an influx of oil workers at a newly built (and supposedly mostly Green) tar sands refinery.

Tim Roth stars as the local Chief of Police in a 3-man (actually two men and one woman) police force. He is a recent transplant from the UK, hoping to find a safe place to raise his kids and a new place where he can recover from alcoholism.

I will now disclose that this series is not for everyone. There is violence and murder, and all forms of human depravity. If you enjoyed the HBO series Deadwood, or the seasonal Fargo series, or the movie No Country for Old Men, this is your cup of tea. The Canadian scenery is take-your-breath-away spectacular.

I'll warn those of you easily offended by such, that the fictional oil company "North Stream Oil" is over-the-top evil and that the two people who interface to the town are very different, the idealistic PR representative Christina Hendricks, and the menacing head of security for the refinery played by Christopher Heyerdahl (the "Swede" from Hell On Wheels).

I'm halfway through the season, and I'm thoroughly hooked. This series may not be realistic, but it grabs your attention as if you had been slapped in the head with a 2X4.

Reccomended for Peak Oilers.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt4607112/?ref_=nv_sr_1
KaiserJeep 2.0, Neural Subnode 0010 0000 0001 0110 - 1001 0011 0011, Tertiary Adjunct to Unimatrix 0000 0000 0001

Resistance is Futile, YOU will be Assimilated.

Warning: Messages timestamped before April 1, 2016, 06:00 PST were posted by the unmodified human KaiserJeep 1.0
KaiserJeep
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Re: Tin Star - an Amazon Prime exclusive series

Unread postby Outcast_Searcher » Wed 18 Oct 2017, 17:51:47

Thanks for the tip, KJ. I absolutely LOVED "No Country for Old Men". I was unaware of "Fargo" as a series (never watch TV, so only catch what I notice via streaming, and will now look for that), but I thought the movie was excellent.

I hadn't checked out "Tin Star" yet, but will add it to my watch list.
Given the track record of the perma-doomer blogs, I wouldn't bet a fast crash doomer's money on their predictions.
Outcast_Searcher
COB
COB

Unread postby rockdoc123 » Wed 18 Oct 2017, 22:03:27

What I find quite strange is that although the series was filmed in Canada (Waterton in Alberta) you can't view the series either now nor is there any intention to bring it to Canada in the future. Apparently being a UK film Amazon bought rights for the US but hasn't bothered for Canada. :x
rockdoc123
Expert
Expert

Unread postby KaiserJeep » Thu 19 Oct 2017, 14:59:46

rockdoc123 wrote:What I find quite strange is that although the series was filmed in Canada (Waterton in Alberta) you can't view the series either now nor is there any intention to bring it to Canada in the future. Apparently being a UK film Amazon bought rights for the US but hasn't bothered for Canada. :x

Most of the scenic vistas I recognize as being within an hour or so drive from Calgary. It is among my favorite vacation spots, the Canadian Rockies are spectacular.

I don't know how technically savvy you are, but there are a number of VPN solutions to work around the geographical restrictions the various streaming providers put in place. Start here: https://securethoughts.com/3-best-vpns-streaming-videos/

If you need a US-based Amazon or NetFlix account, some discreet web searching will turn up "interest groups" where like-minded people can share expenses for such things. I cannot be more specific, but you'll figure it out - or one of your kids or grandkids will.
KaiserJeep 2.0, Neural Subnode 0010 0000 0001 0110 - 1001 0011 0011, Tertiary Adjunct to Unimatrix 0000 0000 0001

Warning: Messages timestamped before April 1, 2016, 06:00 PST were posted by the unmodified human KaiserJeep 1.0
KaiserJeep
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby KaiserJeep » Sat 21 Oct 2017, 04:42:58

I finished the last four episodes the same day. The second half of the season was if anything, even darker than the first. Now I'm hoping for a Season 2.

KaiserJeep
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Return to Book/Media Reviews