Donate Bitcoin

Donate Paypal

PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

The World Until Yesterday

A forum to either submit your own review of a book, video or audio interview, or to post reviews by others.

The World Until Yesterday

Unread postby AdamB » Sun 15 Oct 2017, 22:46:51

"Trying to sell scenarios based on degrowth or frugal living is like trying to sell your Elvis collection of 8-track tapes." In The World Until Yesterday, Jared Diamond ticks off all the great things about modern society — things like vaccines, ambulances, labor-saving kitchen appliances, electric light, air conditioning and refrigeration that most of us take for granted now. Most teens would find it hard to do without WiFi or Wikipedia. Diamond says few of us would care to go back to an era before any of that. The World Until Yesterday: What Can We Learn from Traditional Societies? The bestselling author of Collapse and Guns, Germs and Steel surveys the history of human societies to answer the…smile.amazon.com When something happens to revert a society to suddenly far more primitive, such as currently being experienced in Puerto Rico or Dominica following Hurricane Maria, we can barely ..

Giving ethical murder its due
Plant Thu 27 Jul 2023 "Personally I think the IEA is exactly right when they predict peak oil in the 2020s, especially because it matches my own predictions."

Plant Wed 11 Apr 2007 "I think Deffeyes might have nailed it, and we are just past the overall peak in oil production. (Thanksgiving 2005)"
AdamB
Volunteer
Volunteer

Re: The World Until Yesterday

Unread postby Newfie » Mon 16 Oct 2017, 02:32:57

I found Diamonds book interesting. Not as good as Guns, Germs and Steel but better than collapse.

It changed my ideas about the purpose of government.
Newfie
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Return to Book/Media Reviews