Donate Bitcoin

Donate Paypal

PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

Fort McMurray on fire 2016

A forum for discussion of regional topics including oil depletion but also government, society, and the future.

Re: Fort McMurray wild fires

Unread postby Newfie » Fri 30 Sep 2016, 16:39:23

There are several gypsum ones on Cape Breton, one quite near my property. Maybe 8 miles away. They have a dock and loading facility to load dedicated bulk carriers. It's been a while but I don't think they having been running hard.
Newfie
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Unread postby ROCKMAN » Fri 30 Sep 2016, 17:45:17

Sub - I wonder if the problem with O3 is similar with "if one pill is good for me then 5 will be even better" attitude. Also with all the concerns over the "ozone layer" some might have thought it had some magical properties. This is what the WHO has to say. Not surprising the European focus on research:

"There are few epidemiological studies on the chronic effects of ozone on human health. Incidence of asthma, a decreased lung function growth, lung cancer and total mortality are the main outcomes studied. At levels currently observed in Europe, the evidence linking O3 exposure to asthma incidence and prevalence in children and adults is not consistent. Available evidence suggests that long-term O3 exposure reduces lung function growth in children. There is little evidence for an independent long-term O3 effect on lung cancer or total mortality. The plausibility of chronic damage to the human lung from prolonged O3 exposure is supported by the results of a series of chronic animal exposure studies."
ROCKMAN
Expert
Expert

Unread postby Subjectivist » Mon 09 Jan 2017, 17:45:06

TORONTO -- The Insurance Bureau of Canada says last year set a record for insurable damage -- estimated at more than $4.9 billion.
The industry group says that's $1.7 billion higher than the previous full-year record set in 2013, when insurable damage totalled $3.2 billion.
Canada's most costly disaster last year, according to the Insurance Bureau, was the Alberta wildfires that forced the evacuation of Fort McMurray, Alta., and surrounding areas.

The Insurance Bureau says the wildfires resulted in about $3.7 billion in insured damage, making it twice as expensive as the previous most expensive natural disaster on record.

Insurance Bureau president Don Forgeron says the industry is calling on governments to implement policies that prepare Canadian communities for more severe weather due to global climate change.

http://www.ctvnews.ca/business/fort-mcm ... -1.3230244
II Chronicles 7:14 if my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, and I will forgive their sin and will heal their land.
Subjectivist
Volunteer
Volunteer

Unread postby JV153 » Mon 30 Jan 2017, 02:49:39

The great Miramichi fire of 1825 was quite bad. Just to keep things in perspective. :-D :-D
JV153

Previous

Return to North America Discussion