Donate Bitcoin

Donate Paypal

PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

Obama's Legacy

A forum for discussion of regional topics including oil depletion but also government, society, and the future.

Evaluate Obama's Legacy as President of the United States

Obama will go down as the greatest president in US history. He permanently changed this country for the better
No votes
Obama will go down as one of the great presidents and he leaves a great legacy
15%
Obama has been a good president and he leaves a substantial legacy
5%
Obama has been an average president and he leaves an average legacy
30%
Obama has been a poor president, but fortunately his legacy will be mostly reversed by Trump
5%
Obama has been one of the worst presidents and the ACA, O's executive orders and all his regulations willl be expunged by Trump, leaving virtually no legacy
35%
Obama has been the worst president ever. He has permanently transformed this country for the worse.
10%

Total votes : 20

Re: Obama's Legacy

Unread postby dissident » Sun 25 Dec 2016, 08:00:05

I have to change my opinion. Obama's legacy will be trying to ignite WWIII even after his replacement was elected. Another of his legacies will be the totalitarian media control law that has just been enacted with his blessing. But both houses of the legislative branch share in this legacy as well.

Truly worthy of the pre-emptive Nobel Peace Prize he got. Yes, indeed.
dissident
Expert
Expert

Unread postby Newfie » Sun 25 Dec 2016, 10:24:37

Dis,
Do you have a link in the media control law. I read about it but forget what it's called and am not getting any google hits (maybe it's already working?)
Newfie
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Unread postby KaiserJeep » Sun 25 Dec 2016, 12:26:27

KaiserJeep 2.0, Neural Subnode 0010 0000 0001 0110 - 1001 0011 0011, Tertiary Adjunct to Unimatrix 0000 0000 0001

Resistance is Futile, YOU will be Assimilated.

Warning: Messages timestamped before April 1, 2016, 06:00 PST were posted by the unmodified human KaiserJeep 1.0
KaiserJeep
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby dissident » Sun 25 Dec 2016, 20:41:42

Newfie wrote:Dis,
Do you have a link in the media control law. I read about it but forget what it's called and am not getting any google hits (maybe it's already working?)

http://www.zerohedge.com/news/2016-12-2 ... da-act-law

You can follow the links in the above article even if you don't like the source. This new law has two components. One is fighting supposed propaganda by creating all sorts of government structures whose raison d'etre is to supposedly identify the propaganda. What is not clear is what sort of legal sanctions will be available to "stop" the "foreign propaganda". The other part of this law is funding for all sorts "NGOs" and "independent actors" (read information mercenaries) to spread counter-propaganda.

The first part of the law is clearly creeping totalitarianism. Throughout the whole Cold War the independent US mass media did its job as watch dog and there was no need for any Ministry of Propaganda to counter foreign propaganda. Now this Ministry is being created in bits and pieces. It never enters the tiny brains of these exceptionaloids that maybe Russia's "propaganda" is actually the truth (e.g. in the case of Syria) and the "valid" narratives being dished out by the US government and the joke MSM chorus are mostly lies. The failure results form spreading lies and not that America's "enemies" are spreading them. So a Ministry of Truth/Propaganda will not save the day.

The second part of the law deals with what the US has been doing for a long time around the world and part of the colour revolution tool set. So it will be spending more money creating fake Twitter and Facebook accounts such as the one by the supposed victim of Assad called Bana. A girl who can't speak English but was tweeting in perfect English even when she had zero internet access (i.e. journalists could not even use satellite phones due to local jamming).
dissident
Expert
Expert

Unread postby Newfie » Sun 25 Dec 2016, 21:33:01

Thanks

Googling the act title I found little except this piece that seems hopeful, but wary, that dissidents will not be affected.

https://www.google.com/amp/www.networkw ... ent=safari

I guess I'm not too concerned because our news is already so God awful as to be almost totally unreliable. I don't know how much worse it could get.
Newfie
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Unread postby Plantagenet » Wed 28 Dec 2016, 00:06:02

Obama himself is busy trying to cement his own legacy by issuing last minute executive orders and such. Just today the WaPo is reporting that Obama is going to issue a new executive order that will authorize himself to issue new sanctions against Russia for hacking John Podesta's emails. The WaPo reports that Obamas original plans to censure Russia collapsed when he realized the D claims that the Russians hacked all the voting machines was totally delusional.

The new plan is for Obama to declare that John Podesta's emails are part of the nations "critical infrastructure". This bizarre claim will then provide a pretext for Obama launching cyberattacks on Russia.

Obama has done a lot of crazy stuff but this is the craziest thing yet

Cheers!
Never underestimate the ability of Joe Biden to f#@% things up---Barack Obama
-----------------------------------------------------------
Keep running between the raindrops.
Plantagenet
Expert
Expert

Unread postby Plantagenet » Fri 13 Jan 2017, 09:22:08

I was surprised today when Obama restricted immigration rights for Cubans. Obama has always portrayed himself as an advocate for immigrants and here he is basically building a wall to stop Cuban immigration.

Obama started his time in office acting like Bush on war and domestic spying. Now he is at the end and Obama is aping the anti-immigration policies of Donald Trump :lol:
Never underestimate the ability of Joe Biden to f#@% things up---Barack Obama
-----------------------------------------------------------
Keep running between the raindrops.
Plantagenet
Expert
Expert

Unread postby Newfie » Fri 13 Jan 2017, 09:59:13

I was thinking of this thread the other day.

It strikes me Obama's legacy is Donald Trump.

Oh the irony.
Newfie
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Unread postby Cog » Fri 13 Jan 2017, 10:32:11

Plantagenet wrote:I was surprised today when Obama restricted immigration rights for Cubans. Obama has always portrayed himself as an advocate for immigrants and here he is basically building a wall to stop Cuban immigration.

Obama started his time in office acting like Bush on war and domestic spying. Now he is at the end and Obama is aping the anti-immigration policies of Donald Trump :lol:

Pure politics, as Cuban refugees who escape from the totalitarian state that is Cuba. tend to vote for Republicans.

Jan 20th can't come too soon for me. Trump said he has two weeks of signing documents ahead of him. I don't doubt much of it will be getting rid of Obama's executive orders.
Cog
Fusion
Fusion

Unread postby Subjectivist » Fri 13 Jan 2017, 15:17:36

Interesting that nine poll takers think President Obama has been wonderful to average and the other nine think he has been from poor to downright awful.
II Chronicles 7:14 if my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, and I will forgive their sin and will heal their land.
Subjectivist
Volunteer
Volunteer

Unread postby Plantagenet » Tue 17 Jan 2017, 13:25:19

Obama's last government paid boondoggle will be on the day he leaves office. He'll be flown one last time at tax payer expense out to Palm Springs so he can play some golf.

Thats a great plan. Obama spent so much time playing golf while he was president that transitioning to playing golf while he isn't president shouldn't be easy for him.

Immediately after he leaves office Obama will go to Palm Springs to play golf
Plantagenet
Expert
Expert

Unread postby jedrider » Tue 17 Jan 2017, 21:06:13

Last President before we let in the barbarians.

Obama's legacy is completely dependent upon how Trump behaves in office.

It's looking good for Obama right now.
jedrider
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby Newfie » Tue 17 Jan 2017, 21:58:02

I don't know. He pardoned Chelsey Manning. I don't really have a problem with that. But it's kind of ironic that on the one hand he's aghast at percieves Russian hacking, but let's a internal hacker out of jail. Isn't there a contradiction there?
Newfie
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Unread postby Cog » Tue 17 Jan 2017, 22:58:30

Newfie wrote:I don't know. He pardoned Chelsey Manning. I don't really have a problem with that. But it's kind of ironic that on the one hand he's aghast at percieves Russian hacking, but let's a internal hacker out of jail. Isn't there a contradiction there?

Bradley AKA Chelsea Manning, while on active duty with a TS/SCI clearance, released classified military information from classified servers, putting the military at risk. Wikileaks released information that was unclassified emails by Podesta and the DNC.

The former was harmful to the military as a whole and the latter to Hillary Clinton. Bradley Manning should have been hung from the neck until dead.

The scale of the two hacks is like comparing apples to gorillas. But the upside to releasing Bradley Manning is he won't be alive much longer.
Cog
Fusion
Fusion

Previous

Return to North America Discussion