Donate Bitcoin

Donate Paypal

PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

What about enhanced oil recovery (EOR)?

Discussions of conventional and alternative energy production technologies.

Re: What about enhanced oil recovery (EOR)?

Unread postby AdamB » Sun 30 Oct 2016, 09:42:10

khebab wrote:I was wondering why Tertiary recovery techniques are not much addressed on this forum?

Anything that doesn't fall in line with all decline, all the time, is not appreciated.

Just look at what happened with shale development, no need for full development of secondary and tertiary techniques when the US can double its production and repeak the entire country off of other types of resources.

khebab wrote:Is it hopeless or can we expect significant production increase from EOR?

Depending on exactly what you consider EOR, it is possible to have 85% of inplace volumes using these techniques. So no hopeless involved, just cost.
Plant Thu 27 Jul 2023 "Personally I think the IEA is exactly right when they predict peak oil in the 2020s, especially because it matches my own predictions."

Plant Wed 11 Apr 2007 "I think Deffeyes might have nailed it, and we are just past the overall peak in oil production. (Thanksgiving 2005)"
AdamB
Volunteer
Volunteer

Re: What about enhanced oil recovery (EOR)?

Unread postby GHung » Sun 30 Oct 2016, 10:47:07

AdamB wrote:
khebab wrote:I was wondering why Tertiary recovery techniques are not much addressed on this forum?

Anything that doesn't fall in line with all decline, all the time, is not appreciated.

Just look at what happened with shale development, no need for full development of secondary and tertiary techniques when the US can double its production and repeak the entire country off of other types of resources.

khebab wrote:Is it hopeless or can we expect significant production increase from EOR?

Depending on exactly what you consider EOR, it is possible to have 85% of inplace volumes using these techniques. So no hopeless involved, just cost.

Anything that doesn't fall in line with all decline, all the time, is not appreciated?

Maybe that's because all of these things; shale development, EOR, 'tertiary recovery techniques', costs of production, are indicative of overall decline. If oil was as plentiful and easy-to-produce as it was 50 years ago, we wouldn't bother to discuss these things. I doubt any of us would even be here, or that this site would exist.
Blessed are the Meek, for they shall inherit nothing but their Souls. - Anonymous Ghung Person
GHung
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Previous

Return to Energy Technology