Donate Bitcoin

Donate Paypal

PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

What mountain are you on?

A forum for discussion of regional topics including oil depletion but also government, society, and the future.

What mountain are you on?

Unread postby Subjectivist » Mon 02 May 2016, 11:58:28

A thought provoking blog I stumbled over googling salary class privilege that Six keeps talking about. What do you think?

The transition from an economy focused on domestic production to an economy focused on global exploitation takes plenty of time. In the case of the United States, it took a hundred years, from the first wave of American imperial expansion in 1898 to the temporary triumph of globalization in the 1980s. The transition the other way, though, happens a good deal more quickly, as a faltering hegemon generally gets shoved aside by rising powers rather than being allowed to decay slowly in peace. The aftermath of the Soviet Union’s collapse is a good working model here: once the Soviet system imploded, Russia suddenly had to do without the large subsidies it received from the rest of the Eastern bloc, and most of a decade of raw economic chaos followed as the Russian economy struggled to adapt to the task of meeting its own needs domestically. Soviet Russia, it bears noting, was much less dependent on overseas imports for goods and services than today’s America, so the post-Soviet experience should be considered a lower bound for what we’re in for.

The other pillar has similar implications. An economy based on the breakneck consumption of natural resources tends to concentrate influence in the hands of those who control resource flows directly or indirectly, and in today’s America, once again, these tend to be disproportionately members of the salary class. An economy based on the conservation of natural resources tends to concentrate influence instead in the hands of those who own sustainable resources such as land, or those who work directly with those resources; again, the conflict between owners and laborers determines the distribution of wealth and privilege in such societies. Transitioning from a conserver economy to a consumer economy takes plenty of time—in the case of the United States, the better part of two hundred years—while the transition the other way tends, once more, to be much more rapid once the resources run short.

http://thearchdruidreport.blogspot.com/ ... -your.html
II Chronicles 7:14 if my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, and I will forgive their sin and will heal their land.
Subjectivist
Volunteer
Volunteer

Re: What mountain are you on?

Unread postby Hawkcreek » Mon 02 May 2016, 12:33:02

Yes, reading Greer is my favorite Thursday morning thing.
Some may not agree with him about some things, but he always has a logical, consistent approach to the problems of our day.
I think his biggest failing is to assume that history is always the biggest determiner of the future. "As it happened, it will always happen again".
But he is one smart cookie, so I wouldn't want to put money on my predictions against his. Matter of fact, he is the one who has convinced me that we are looking at a long, slow, staggered collapse, rather than a fast crash.
He has written some interesting novels, too. I bought a few, and liked them.
"It don't make no sense that common sense don't make no sense no more"
John Prine
Hawkcreek
Expert
Expert

Unread postby GHung » Mon 02 May 2016, 14:08:33

Hawk said; "I think his biggest failing is to assume that history is always the biggest determiner of the future. "As it happened, it will always happen again".

It took me a while to figure out that this isn't quite what Greer is trying to teach, even though a certain way to get his ire up is to say "this time is different". Much as Tainter posited in Collapse of Complex Societies, Greer follows the line that, even though details and technologies may have changed, human societies tend to follow the same general patterns with predictable results. Our collective behaviors haven't changed much in the last few thousand years, at least the behaviors that matter much.

My take is that those behaviors seem to be hard-coded, and as societies rise, per-capita use of energy and resources increases until that resource base goes into decline, at which point collective attempts to maintain the status quo take on more complex though less affective forms. Once it becomes evident those responses can't work, the society goes into decline/contraction and eventually collapses in some way. Hard to see in real-time, which is one reason we have so many people in denial.

Resource depletion and climate change are much the same as they have been for numerous cultures throughout history in terms of effect, except that this time it's global, our resource use and environmental degradation are much more extreme due to our advanced technology, and there's nowhere to run to. One big difference I see is that we now clearly have the means to ruin our entire planet and bring about our own extinction. Then, again, we're a resourceful and stubborn species who've squeezed through other bottlenecks. Whether or not humans can survive extreme global resource depletion, and global warming followed by nuclear winter and the poisoning of our biosphere is a big question I doubt Greer and others can answer. It's fun to try I guess.
Blessed are the Meek, for they shall inherit nothing but their Souls. - Anonymous Ghung Person
GHung
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby Hawkcreek » Mon 02 May 2016, 15:00:10

GHung wrote:It took me a while to figure out that this isn't quite what Greer is trying to teach, even though a certain way to get his ire up is to say "this time is different". Much as Tainter posited in Collapse of Complex Societies, Greer follows the line that, even though details and technologies may have changed, human societies tend to follow the same general patterns with predictable results. Our collective behaviors haven't changed much in the last few thousand years, at least the behaviors that matter much.

Yes, I think I got him irked at me one time for suggesting that all previous collapse's were not able to utilize the tools that we now have - communication, disbursement of knowledge, and even fore-knowledge of an impending disaster. But, he is still someone who I very much respect.
Because of my background as a control systems designer, I tend to look at the collapse waveform as a case of PID control with insufficient feedback and derivative. I think that after a few cycles of oscillation with proper gain, feedback, or derivative (knowledge and foresight), we should be able to attain straight line control. The only thing stopping us from applying the proper gain and derivative controls are our supervisors who like BAU.
All engineer nerd talk, I know, but it helps me be not quite so pessimistic.
John Prine
Hawkcreek
Expert
Expert

Unread postby radon1 » Mon 02 May 2016, 17:32:00

Subjectivist wrote:The aftermath of the Soviet Union’s collapse is a good working model here: once the Soviet system imploded, Russia suddenly had to do without the large subsidies it received from the rest of the Eastern bloc, and most of a decade of raw economic chaos followed as the Russian economy struggled to adapt to the task of meeting its own needs domestically.

Russia was not receiving any subsidies from the Eastern bloc, this is total rubbish. Russia was actually the provider of subsidies.

"Soviet system imploded" meant that the Soviet system of the division of labor ceased to exist, and Russia progressed with incorporation into the international system.

The US has no outside system to be incorporated in, because it is itself the center of the international system. Therefore any "implosion" should be harsher than the Soviet was. But the other countries would fare even worse.

But there is nothing to suggest that the "implosion" has to necessarily happen.
radon1
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby Paulo1 » Mon 02 May 2016, 18:11:22

Yeah Hawk, I am not as pessimistic, either. Why? I never discount the ability of people to adapt or surprise. While many on this blog will disagree with this statement, not everything that is human is bad and/or is a threat to the world. We can do better in most ways, but in many cases it comes down to having either a half full, or half empty viewpoint. I will continue to look for inspiration rather than assume doom is full on and inevitable.

Greer told me to pick up and move as my home is about 25-30 feet above sea level. (We live close to an estuary on the west coast). Hmmmm, I am 60. How fast will sea level rise? Meanwhile, every fall I have an unlimited supply of bright silver salmon swimming to my dock. It's a no-brainer as far as I can see. We are 6 km upstream from the ocean. There are only two houses below us and they are way out of sight.

Waterworld, here we come!! :-D
Paulo1
Coal
Coal

Unread postby Ibon » Mon 02 May 2016, 19:36:23

Mount Totumas !

I follow Greer's writings. I don't always agree but I recognize that he is quite brilliant.

I am also one of those who does think it is potentially different this time in that we may back ourselves so deep into a corner that we actually start addressing self regulation.
Patiently awaiting the pathogens. Our resiliency resembles an invasive weed. We are the Kudzu Ape
blog: http://blog.mounttotumas.com/
Ibon
Expert
Expert

Unread postby vtsnowedin » Mon 02 May 2016, 20:45:48

As long as I'm not sitting on top of a mountain of debt I think I'll make out alright.
vtsnowedin
Fusion
Fusion

Unread postby Hawkcreek » Mon 02 May 2016, 21:19:51

Ibon wrote:Mount Totumas !

I follow Greer's writings. I don't always agree but I recognize that he is quite brilliant.

I am also one of those who does think it is potentially different this time in that we may back ourselves so deep into a corner that we actually start addressing self regulation.

I agree with you, but don't say that to Mr. Greer, or he will flog you with brilliant prose, and make you feel dumb. :-D
John Prine
Hawkcreek
Expert
Expert

Unread postby ennui2 » Mon 02 May 2016, 21:21:46

Greer believes in AGW but he goes overboard in painting climate-change uberdoomers as being driven by doomsday psychology. He then uses this to downplay the risks of AGW. The fact is there's more than enough data to lead one believe in near-term human extinction, and in a faster timeline than his long-descent books outline. He may be a druid and into appropriate technology but climate scientist he isn't.

More to the point he seems more interested in being an agent provocateur, tearing various subgroups that are generally within his tribe a new asshole than nearly any other form of commentary other than the usual pot-shots at TPTB. I'd like to see him more evenly dole out his bile sometimes, like maybe a few more darts thrown at the Koch brothers or Rex Tillerman to even out going after Rob Hopkins or 350.org. He might accomplish more by being more inclusive and building a bigger tent rather than being so judgmental and snarky. I mean, at least the lefty/green groups mean well. They don't deserve to be eviscerated the way he so often does to them. But "I'm right and everyone else is wrong" style chest-beating is how you build an audience. It's the same formula that Orlov, Kunstler, and others follow to some success.

As for Greer's brilliant prose, he's much too verbose. One of his blog posts could easily compress down to 1/10th its size if he were to just stop teasing and beating around the bush. I always find it a chore to read through rather than skim his blog because it just drones on and on and on without really adding anything new to his argument.
"If the oil price crosses above the Etp maximum oil price curve within the next month, I will leave the forum." --SumYunGai (9/21/2016)
ennui2
Permanently Banned

Unread postby Hawkcreek » Mon 02 May 2016, 21:28:16

Paulo1 wrote:Yeah Hawk, I am not as pessimistic, either. Why? I never discount the ability of people to adapt or surprise. While many on this blog will disagree with this statement, not everything that is human is bad and/or is a threat to the world. We can do better in most ways, but in many cases it comes down to having either a half full, or half empty viewpoint. I will continue to look for inspiration rather than assume doom is full on and inevitable.

Greer told me to pick up and move as my home is about 25-30 feet above sea level. (We live close to an estuary on the west coast). Hmmmm, I am 60. How fast will sea level rise? Meanwhile, every fall I have an unlimited supply of bright silver salmon swimming to my dock. It's a no-brainer as far as I can see. We are 6 km upstream from the ocean. There are only two houses below us and they are way out of sight.

Waterworld, here we come!! :-D

I think your logic is sound. My sons gripe at me for defeatist talk because I make some decisions based on my probable lifespan (I am 68 now). For example, I won't buy a dog that I think will outlive me, even though I love dogs.
But hell, if you can't use logic to approach decisions you might as well be a politician, or some other type of pond scum.
John Prine
Hawkcreek
Expert
Expert

Unread postby GHung » Mon 02 May 2016, 23:06:53

.... on the other hand, I've always have a hard time with arm-chair quarterbacks or commentators who've never played the game. It's not that there have never been great thinkers who've been nowhere; done nothin', but I tend to trust experience over observation. Nothing like a little PTSD to change one's perspective. Seems too many academics these days deal in absolutes about things they've only studied from afar or read about. Does distancing one's self from these things improve objectivity or hinder it? I personally tend to dismiss the opinions of people who tell me how the world works, but have never immersed themselves in it in any real way. I could be wrong.....
Blessed are the Meek, for they shall inherit nothing but their Souls. - Anonymous Ghung Person
GHung
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby Subjectivist » Tue 03 May 2016, 10:01:43

GHung wrote:.... on the other hand, I've always have a hard time with arm-chair quarterbacks or commentators who've never played the game. It's not that there have never been great thinkers who've been nowhere; done nothin', but I tend to trust experience over observation. Nothing like a little PTSD to change one's perspective. Seems too many academics these days deal in absolutes about things they've only studied from afar or read about. Does distancing one's self from these things improve objectivity or hinder it? I personally tend to dismiss the opinions of people who tell me how the world works, but have never immersed themselves in it in any real way. I could be wrong.....

That is a valid point, there is also the factor that objectivity lets you judge a situation, but if you are too objective you can not communicate your observations to people who are less objective on whatever the topic is. It's great to be the world class scientist studying frog die off, but if you can't pass that on to the general public does it do any good? Facts in isolation are out of context and have no impact on either the general public, or public policy.
II Chronicles 7:14 if my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, and I will forgive their sin and will heal their land.
Subjectivist
Volunteer
Volunteer

Unread postby regardingpo » Tue 03 May 2016, 10:16:56

ennui2 wrote:As for Greer's brilliant prose, he's much too verbose. One of his blog posts could easily compress down to 1/10th its size if he were to just stop teasing and beating around the bush. I always find it a chore to read through rather than skim his blog because it just drones on and on and on without really adding anything new to his argument.

My thoughts exactly. Plus I can't help but laugh at this whole "druid" thing.
Don't follow this link: http://bit.ly/2dtWSrZ
regardingpo
Peat
Peat

Unread postby onlooker » Tue 03 May 2016, 11:24:42

I think in two respects, this time is different. First the challenges will be greater than at any time previous as the whole Earth now is in a collapsing state so nowhere to go too plus the specter of runaway global warming seems monstrous. However in another way I think it is different. That is I feel that unlike any other time, our whole set of social contacts and institutions now stand to be discredited. This will create a blank slate to try a reinvent civilization and society. This coupled with the level of dislocation and sheer disaster and suffering can be the catalyst for a true permanent and profound change of conscience in humans.
"We are mortal beings doomed to die
onlooker
Fission
Fission

Unread postby Lore » Tue 03 May 2016, 11:38:16

regardingpo wrote:
ennui2 wrote:As for Greer's brilliant prose, he's much too verbose. One of his blog posts could easily compress down to 1/10th its size if he were to just stop teasing and beating around the bush. I always find it a chore to read through rather than skim his blog because it just drones on and on and on without really adding anything new to his argument.

My thoughts exactly. Plus I can't help but laugh at this whole "druid" thing.

"Big Dan Teague: You don't say much my friend, but when you do it's to the point, and I salute you for it."
from O Brother, Where Art Thou? (2000)
The things that will destroy America are prosperity-at-any-price, peace-at-any-price, safety-first instead of duty-first, the love of soft living, and the get-rich-quick theory of life.
... Theodore Roosevelt
Lore
Fission
Fission

Unread postby Hawkcreek » Wed 04 May 2016, 12:38:29

ennui2 wrote:Gr
As for Greer's brilliant prose, he's much too verbose. One of his blog posts could easily compress down to 1/10th its size if he were to just stop teasing and beating around the bush. I always find it a chore to read through rather than skim his blog because it just drones on and on and on without really adding anything new to his argument.

They have medication for ADD now, you know. Sometimes complex concepts require more than a typical American sound bite.
But I do think the Druid thing is kind of funny.
John Prine
Hawkcreek
Expert
Expert

Return to North America Discussion