Donate Bitcoin

Donate Paypal

PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

When Coal Companies Fail, Who Pays For The Cleanup?

Discussions about the economic and financial ramifications of PEAK OIL

When Coal Companies Fail, Who Pays For The Cleanup?

Unread postby GHung » Tue 01 Mar 2016, 17:03:51

http://www.npr.org/2016/02/29/468577856 ... he-cleanup

For decades massive, open-pit coal mines have been feeding the country's appetite for energy. Once coal companies are done with the land, they're supposed to restore it. But as America's coal industry declines, it may not have the funding to keep its cleanup promises.

Restoring a mine to its original state is an elaborate and expensive process, one that some say makes the land better than before. The coal companies, however, often don't have to set aside money for future cleanup processes thanks to a provision called "self-bonding" — an assurance for companies to pay for reclamation based only on their financial health.

Virginia-based Alpha Natural Resources, a coal company with mines in Appalachia and Wyoming, declared bankruptcy in August. Operations still continue at the company's Wyoming mines, and regulators estimate it would cost over $400 million to clean up those sites once mining is complete. But Alpha was approved to ensure its cleanup costs with self-bonds.

"A self-bond isn't much more than a wink and a promise," says Clark Williams-Derry, director of energy finance at Sightline Institute, a Seattle-based think tank that focuses on sustainability. "A promise that ... when the time comes, you'll be good for it."

But some of these companies may no longer be good for it. Federal regulations require that a company pass a test of financial strength to qualify for self-bonding, although some companies have been approved despite their questionable financial status.

In September, a second major company, Arch Coal, was reapproved to self-bond and filed for bankruptcy four months later.

"So then that raises the question, who is going to pay for cleanup? Is it going to be you and me? It is going to be the general public? Is it going to be adjacent landowners?" Williams-Derry says.

These questions extend far beyond the Powder River Basin. Three-quarters of Wyoming's cleanup costs are self-bonded. In Colorado, North Dakota, Indiana and Texas — in each state — it's more than half.

Greg Conrad, executive director of the Interstate Mining Compact Commission, says he doesn't sense that there is a huge crisis yet.

"I think we're still trying to get a handle on that," he says. "What I will say is that it doesn't appear that the sky is falling."

Conrad says regulators might hesitate to make coal companies put real money aside for fear that the additional expense could put them out of business, thus bringing mining and ongoing reclamation to a halt. In some states, coal is crucial for revenue, funneling in money for school construction, jobs and a way of life. Conrad said for all those reasons, regulators are wary to "push that button."

"We don't want that scenario. We just don't want to go there," he says.

It's a complex issue full of lawyers, Chapter 11 filings, and corporate press releases. But on the ground, in coal communities, reclamation matters.

Dave Edwards and his son Kean are ranchers near Gillette, Wyo., who lease reclaimed land from a coal company to graze their cattle. They live right across the road from a coal mine and have watched it grow from the day it was built.

Dave Edwards also works on reclamation himself. The reclaimed land blends in with the rest of the prairie but is slightly flatter and more manicured, resembling a golf course. The Edwardses expect the reclamation will continue. Someday, Dave Edwards says, the ground will be grazed by livestock and wildlife.

"Mule deer, rabbits, sage grouse. Bald eagles will be roaming and hunting these areas. Hopefully my grandkids are watching all of it," he says.

But for the moment, predicting the future for coal cleanup is nearly impossible. Wyoming has over $2 billion in reclamation costs backed by self-bonds, and right now, the coal industry is showing no sign of a comeback.

Millions of well bores that may or may not be permanently plugged; Nuclear plants and wastes that likely won't be properly decommissioned and disposed of; open-pit mines that we all end up paying for somehow; over-carbonised atmosphere.... but at least, for now, our lights turn on and our cars start. That's something I guess. I suppose our grandchildren will be the ones to ask; "Was it worth it?"
Blessed are the Meek, for they shall inherit nothing but their Souls. - Anonymous Ghung Person
GHung
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Re: When Coal Companies Fail, Who Pays For The Cleanup?

Unread postby onlooker » Tue 01 Mar 2016, 17:59:16

Yes it certainly looks like we will leave a literal wasteland for our descendants. I think the obvious answer of future denizens of this planet will be NO it was not worth it. Look at this picture from Canada tar sands also very grim.

TarSandsDestruction.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"We are mortal beings doomed to die
onlooker
Fission
Fission

Unread postby GHung » Tue 01 Mar 2016, 18:20:00

The strange paradox is that, without the energy bonanzas that gave us modernity and the industrial age, most of those left behind to suffer the consequences of our greed and neglect would likely have never been born. Seems like a cool idea in real time; rob Peter to pay Paul before Peter is even born. Who really cares if their descendants piss on their grave?
Blessed are the Meek, for they shall inherit nothing but their Souls. - Anonymous Ghung Person
GHung
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby Lore » Tue 01 Mar 2016, 18:31:03

The people do. As they say, there is no such thing as a free lunch.
The things that will destroy America are prosperity-at-any-price, peace-at-any-price, safety-first instead of duty-first, the love of soft living, and the get-rich-quick theory of life.
... Theodore Roosevelt
Lore
Fission
Fission

Unread postby Shaved Monkey » Tue 01 Mar 2016, 18:46:51

The people and future generations also pay when they succeed, with global warming and all the surprises and associated costs thats going to deliver.
Ready to turn Zombies into WWOOFers
Shaved Monkey
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby onlooker » Tue 01 Mar 2016, 20:44:07

GHung wrote:The strange paradox is that, without the energy bonanzas that gave us modernity and the industrial age, most of those left behind to suffer the consequences of our greed and neglect would likely have never been born. Seems like a cool idea in real time; rob Peter to pay Paul before Peter is even born. Who really cares if their descendants piss on their grave?

That is the clear MO of our civilization live for the present and the heck with the future. As I like saying careful because the future becomes the present. Martin Luther King talked about something like that in his "I have a dream speech" About black people having been given a bad IOU. Well future humanity has been given a bad IOU. :(
onlooker
Fission
Fission

Unread postby Paulo1 » Tue 01 Mar 2016, 21:03:13

Onlooker,

You know very well the mining operation in the Tar Sands will not be left like that.

http://www.golder.ca/en/modules.php?nam ... cle_id=124

Included is this report:
http://www.nacg.ca/docs/default-source/ ... f?sfvrsn=2

Here in BC our biggest problem has been past mining companies going bust and simply walking away. In particular, Mt Washington Copper contaminated the Tsolum River and destroyed the salmon runs from copper leachate. (Very near where I live....about 100 miles away). Britannia Beach, and other sites were disastors based on ignorance as much as anything. However, our Provincial Mining Act forces companies to set aside a surety to ensure it will be cleaned up upon mining cessation. The amount is determined by the Provincial Mining Inspector (Govt agency), and it must be held in trust before the mine is developed. I believe the dollar amount held undergoes a review process over time.

We had a local controvesy when Lafarge wanted to open a gravel mine in our valley for export (early 2,000s). There was a pretty big protest by locals, but mostly the economics sealed its fate. After the 2008 bust the plans were shelved. Locally, Quinsam Coal is now shut down, indefinitely, due to the current energy and economic situation. The Westmin Mine at Buttle Lake is also shut down as far as I know (Nyrstar). There, they have a really sophisticated process of burying tailings under a man made swamp, capped with clay and vegetation, and water. However, most of the tailings go back underground when the shafts are finished. The problem is, it is harder to pack it in than get it out, so a portion has to be dealt with above ground. I believe the actual mine is over 1 mile deep. Coincidentally, due to tectonic forces the same ore body is also being mined in PNG, on the other side of the world. Vancouver Island is a Terrane, a breakaway from PNG. They can tell this by the crystalline structure of the rocks when they were formed. I had a friend who was a mining engineer who worked both ore bodies...go figure.

regards
Paulo1
Coal
Coal

Unread postby onlooker » Tue 01 Mar 2016, 21:07:41

Sorry Paulo, I really did not know. I am glad that in Canada at least some deference is being given to the environment. But my view still in general around the world is to believe when I see it.
onlooker
Fission
Fission

Unread postby Hawkcreek » Tue 01 Mar 2016, 21:27:15

The public is warned not to eat more than small amounts of fish from Lake Roosevelt in Washington State (about 5 miles from where I live), because of pollution from Canadian mines upstream to the lake.

As always, corporate profits are private, while the true costs are borne by the public.
"It don't make no sense that common sense don't make no sense no more"
John Prine
Hawkcreek
Expert
Expert

Unread postby Paulo1 » Wed 02 Mar 2016, 11:31:10

Yeah, that is a real shitty deaal. It is actually from the Cominco smelter in Trail, which for years simply pushed its used smelting clinkers into the river. Another instance of total ignorance. I think most of us up here are quite ashamed of that one and believe Cominco has to make it right.

Actually, I just read TECK will have to fix it up. I sure hope so. It is beyond bullshit that it ever happened. Once again, ignorance and avarice.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/report-o ... le6459408/
Paulo1
Coal
Coal

Unread postby Synapsid » Wed 02 Mar 2016, 20:02:05

Hawkcreek, Paulo1,

In the Spring of 1998 I worked out of Kettle Falls, on the Columbia south of the Canadian border. One day heading up to Northport I was noticing the effects of drought on the slopes above the river before it hit me that there were no such signs farther down the canyon or outside it either. We were actually in flood conditions down around Kettle Falls.

The canyon walls looked just like the mountainsides above Smelterville and Kellogg, in northern Idaho. BC smelting effluvia from up Penticton way were moving down the Columbia canyon well into Washington.
Synapsid
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

Return to Economics & Finance