Donate Bitcoin

Donate Paypal

PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

ANTARTICA OIL, could buy us another decade...

Discussions of conventional and alternative energy production technologies.

Re: ANTARTICA OIL, could buy us another decade...

Unread postby Subjectivist » Mon 22 Feb 2016, 19:31:59

AgentR11 wrote:Anyone thought about how much fun it would be to CROSS the Southern Ocean with a loaded oil tanker?

Russia routinely uses ice breaker oil tankers in the Arctic, can't see why this would be any different.
II Chronicles 7:14 if my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, and I will forgive their sin and will heal their land.
Subjectivist
Volunteer
Volunteer

Unread postby Lore » Mon 22 Feb 2016, 20:42:28

pstarr wrote:
Subjectivist wrote:
AgentR11 wrote:Anyone thought about how much fun it would be to CROSS the Southern Ocean with a loaded oil tanker?

Russia routinely uses ice breaker oil tankers in the Arctic, can't see why this would be any different.

why would Russia bother? Those icebreakers haven't produced a drop in the Arctic, why would they bother with a region a thousand times more difficult. The Russian have other problems on their plate such as NATO.

Agreed, the effort isn't worth the reward.
The things that will destroy America are prosperity-at-any-price, peace-at-any-price, safety-first instead of duty-first, the love of soft living, and the get-rich-quick theory of life.
... Theodore Roosevelt
Lore
Fission
Fission

Unread postby Subjectivist » Mon 22 Feb 2016, 21:03:56

pstarr wrote:
Subjectivist wrote:

why would Russia bother? Those icebreakers haven't produced a drop in the Arctic, why would they bother with a region a thousand times more difficult. The Russian have other problems on their plate such as NATO.

How's that shoe leather taste anyhow?
Gazprom Neft began production at the Prirazlomnoye field in 2013 and reached commercial figures last year, with a total output of roughly 5,000 barrels per day (bpd). With production well number two (of 19) now online, output should reach somewhere between 10,000-15,000 bpd by year’s end.

At the Prirazlomnoye field, the Russian institute Omskneftekhimproekt has begun work on the modernization of the rig’s drilling installations, technological equipment, and safety and telecommunications systems. The primary objectives are to boost production capacity (to ~120,000 bpd) toward 2020 and lay the building blocks for the future development of Russian-sourced platforms.

http://oilprice.com/Energy/Crude-Oil/Is ... fault.html
II Chronicles 7:14 if my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, and I will forgive their sin and will heal their land.
Subjectivist
Volunteer
Volunteer

Unread postby AdamB » Mon 22 Feb 2016, 21:19:03

pstarr wrote:
AdamB wrote:But if there is one thing that we all know, and that is that from such small beginnings, our world was built.

Those are platitudes, not solutions. It would cost $trillions to produce Antarctic oil yet I don't see any NOC, independent, or integrated oil company with money up front.

Once upon a time the development of the Trans Alaskan pipeline was the largest privately funded construction project in the history of our species.

Eyes on the prize...if there is money to be made....capital will find a way to get itself involved.

So sure...why would anyone want expensive Arctic oil anyway, when you can throw some cash at a North Dakota farmer and get it the old fashioned way, an onshore rig, a known accumulation 2 miles down, and some trucks to haul away the oil to the local gathering point. I wouldn't touch Antarctica or Arctic oil when there are tens of billions of barrels of this easy oil to get.

Pstarr wrote:They are having trouble in the Arctic. Shell gave out when oil was $50, it won't go back at $30. The Arctic is a piece of cake, with it infrastructure in place. and surrounded by heavily produced oil fields . . . think Norway, Russia. The Antarctic might as well be Saturn. And we might as well be dreaming about space methane lol

No need dreaming about methane when we are just wasting the stuff, letting it bubble up off the sea bed. We really do need to fix this, get it to a power generation facility, and stop this ridiculous waste of precious energy resource.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/scien ... 76278.html
Plant Thu 27 Jul 2023 "Personally I think the IEA is exactly right when they predict peak oil in the 2020s, especially because it matches my own predictions."

Plant Wed 11 Apr 2007 "I think Deffeyes might have nailed it, and we are just past the overall peak in oil production. (Thanksgiving 2005)"
AdamB
Volunteer
Volunteer

Previous

Return to Energy Technology