Donate Bitcoin

Donate Paypal

PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

What if you never had to worry about rent or food?

Discussions about the economic and financial ramifications of PEAK OIL

Re: What if you never had to worry about rent or food?

Unread postby AdTheNad » Sun 14 Feb 2016, 17:10:54

ennui2 wrote:I don't see any sort of movement on that cultural ethic. Permaculture has not penetrated the mainstream despite decades of promotion from the fringe. Culture evolves too slowly to meet the challenges we're facing.

I don't see culture evolving to meet those challenges while advertising still exists, always pushing ever more consumption. And a total ban on advertising seems somewhat unrealistic.
AdTheNad
Coal
Coal

Re: What if you never had to worry about rent or food?

Unread postby evilgenius » Mon 15 Feb 2016, 01:10:30

ennui2 wrote:Think of if this way. If you spend years trying to grow a chestnut tree to swap out your annual carbs with perennials and some drunk douchebag comes along on New Year's eve and decides to chop it down for shits and giggles. With billions of people on the planet there's just a very low tolerance for error. Natural systems are slow and easily damaged, like a Jenga puzzle. You'd have to have a truly brutal dictatorship to make sure nothing gets disturbed.

That's only if you go it alone. If your future is truly tied into how we all do, then the stuff you wanted to keep for yourself was supposed to always be gravy. You can let gravy slide. You can forgive those who take those things from you.

What you really want in return is to understand that they have a sense of repentance. The reason this is good enough is not that they are you, like the we are all one consciousness crowd believes, but because your sense of survival depends upon the success of your concept of love.

Yeah, that's a heady construct, I know. You'll have to go several layers deep to find out what I am talking about. Love is a construct that gives life meaning. Unlike possession as nine tenths of the law, it relies upon primal forces for its conjuring and does not require feedback for its survival. It hopes when possession does not. Once you get there you will see.
evilgenius
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Previous

Return to Economics & Finance