Donate Bitcoin

Donate Paypal

PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

Feeding the World in a Changing Climate

Re: Feeding the World in a Changing Climate

Unread postby onlooker » Mon 27 Jul 2015, 11:33:42

http://news.uci.edu/press-releases/a-th ... -distress/
Link refers to groundwater becoming scarcer.
"We are mortal beings doomed to die
onlooker
Fission
Fission

Unread postby sparky » Mon 27 Jul 2015, 21:51:45

@ subjectivist
your comment is quite correct , pre-fossil fuel , only half a dozen urban centers briefly reached the million mark or close to it , all of them experienced severe population crashes associated with violence
it always was the capital of a large empire or state and had to have excellent water borne transport ,
either maritime or fluvial ,
http://geography.about.com/library/weekly/aa011201a.htm

things changed at the start of the age of carbon , the 10th of January 1709 to be precise
within a few decades , megacities (10^ 6 population) appeared then multiplied
the first 10^7 was new york around 1930 , today there are dozen of them with the very concept of cities disappearing to be replaced by conurbation , seamless (though patchy) urban areas , extending for tens of kilometers
it's the geographical equivalent of cancer !
sparky
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby onlooker » Mon 27 Jul 2015, 22:14:34

Yes, @ subjectivist
In fact cholera and diseases associated with proper sanitation are huge problems. At present this is the case with slums or shantytowns around the world. They have poor sanitation which ends up contaminating the water supply. Not to mention lack of running water which has been a problem in the past and still is. We in rich countries take bathrooms (toilet, sink) for granted but they are conspicuously lacking in many areas around the world.
"We are mortal beings doomed to die
onlooker
Fission
Fission

Unread postby Cid_Yama » Tue 28 Jul 2015, 07:50:21

While Abraham Darby's invention of the Coking process was important, it took the development of John Wilkinson's boring process (precision cylinders for pistons, 1774) to allow for the building of the Boulton Watt steam pump (1776), which allowed water to be pumped from deep coal mines, before the Age of Carbon actually took off.

The previous Newcomen pump could only pump water from very shallow mines and was very inefficient, with the out of round cylinders having to be wet packed to maintain a vacuum.

The Pre-Industrial era is considered as prior to 1750 when CO2 ppm was at 260-270.

Interesting Factoid:

Pluto was at Perihelion in 1989. The previous Perihelion was in 1741. One could argue the industrial era fit within one orbit of Pluto.
"For my part, whatever anguish of spirit it may cost, I am willing to know the whole truth; to know the worst and provide for it." - Patrick Henry

The level of injustice and wrong you endure is directly determined by how much you quietly submit to. Even to the point of extinction.
Cid_Yama
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby sparky » Wed 29 Jul 2015, 04:43:07

Thanks Cid , I would agree , having efficient machines was a critical necessary step ,
I use the Darby date as it is recorded to the day , which I think is cute .
as for the cosmology of change , I like the Pluto clock !
finally a appropriate measuring unit for civilizations timeline
sparky
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Previous

Return to Environment, Weather & Climate