Donate Bitcoin

Donate Paypal

PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

THE Mozambique Thread

A forum for discussion of regional topics including oil depletion but also government, society, and the future.

Re: Oil Hunted in Mozambique After World’s Largest Gas Disco

Unread postby SeaGypsy » Tue 02 Jul 2013, 21:52:58

You show up here, what? 3 days ago, 40 posts of not much significance later, are here calling me a 'loon'. Whatever you reckon, new guy.
SeaGypsy
Master Prognosticator
Master Prognosticator

Unread postby Palpatine » Tue 02 Jul 2013, 22:04:05

SeaGypsy wrote:You show up here, what? 3 days ago, 40 posts of not much significance later, are here calling me a 'loon'. Whatever you reckon, new guy.

SeaGypsy, I was here back in 2004 when the real crazies were running this website. I outgrew this stuff. I am back now purely for entertainment value.
You have been here for years and have 4,000 posts? Yeah, you seem like a loon to me.
Palpatine
Peat
Peat

Unread postby Palpatine » Tue 02 Jul 2013, 22:27:46

pstarr wrote:
Palpatine wrote:
SeaGypsy, I was here back in 2004 when the real crazies were running this website. I outgrew this stuff. I am back now purely for entertainment value.

2004. That's a long time ago, perhap during my "crazy phrase?" The fact that I don't seem to recollect you may be a function of my confusion? Or your deception?

Different user name. I don't even remember the email account or password I was using back in those days. I remember you. You were hardcore I recall. Are you still or have your opinions on PO evolved over time?

I was here mostly in that 2004-2005 time frame when MonteQuest was in his Nazi fascism moderator mode. If you disagreed with him or actually made him look like a fool (which was easy) then you were on the fast track to getting banned. He and a few other moderators had a very low tolerance for opinions that didn't fit with their POV. Then I came back sporadically over the next few years.

I sort of tuned out on Peak Oil debates completely around 2009 because it was obvious by then that this was not going to be the huge near term crisis.

It was really unfortunate that so many of the crazies were the loudest voices on Peak Oil. Now the issue has a lot of ammo for detractors to discredit PO when the topic comes up.
Last edited by Palpatine on Tue 02 Jul 2013, 22:38:23, edited 2 times in total.
Palpatine
Peat
Peat

Unread postby SeaGypsy » Tue 02 Jul 2013, 22:31:14

You seem boring to me.
SeaGypsy
Master Prognosticator
Master Prognosticator

Unread postby Palpatine » Tue 02 Jul 2013, 22:39:58

SeaGypsy wrote:You seem boring to me.

You are an amateur.
Palpatine
Peat
Peat

Unread postby SeaGypsy » Tue 02 Jul 2013, 22:49:06

Amature at what smart economist 9 year lurker?

The only expertise I have on this site is in Oceania, SE Asia geopolitics and related topics. Otherwise I am just some guy commenting on what other experts have to say on occasion, without trying to own their turf.
I really don't get what you are on about. I had a bit of a go at your mucho MSM position on something and you went into ad-hom on me for it. Troll hunting is just about the only fun anyone gets around here and so far your few days here makes you look like a pretty good example of one.
SeaGypsy
Master Prognosticator
Master Prognosticator

Unread postby Palpatine » Tue 02 Jul 2013, 22:50:49

Yeah, that is fairly common on these types of forums. If I disagree with you, that makes me a troll. Makes total sense.
Palpatine
Peat
Peat

Unread postby SeaGypsy » Wed 03 Jul 2013, 03:47:44

Palpatine: "The real suicidal nuts were dominating PO.com back then/dominated by a lot of people that lack any credibility/PO doom merchants/PO mania have done a huge amount of damage/crazies like Kunstler/focus on the financial system as the fantasy for your next EOTWAWKI dream/So my understanding is likely far deeper than yours/You are losing your grip/You sound like you are a loon/crazies were the loudest voices on Peak Oil/MonteQuest was in his Nazi fascism moderator mode/You were hardcore I recall/You are an amateur"

and that's just the last few posts on this thread; nothing trollish thither?
SeaGypsy
Master Prognosticator
Master Prognosticator

Unread postby h2 » Wed 24 Jul 2013, 14:10:55

The Cachalote-1 exploration well off the coast of Mozambique, drilled with operator Statoil ASA (STL) and others, encountered gas that isn’t commercial and didn’t find oil, Tullow said in a statement today. The company is searching for oil close to where others have made the century’s biggest natural gas discoveries off the East African coast.

“The potential for discovering oil in this region remains,” said Exploration Director Angus McCoss. “We will integrate this valuable data into our regional model to improve our chances of unlocking the oil play potential offshore Mozambique.” bloomberg

I believe this is in context for this thread, unlike some of the more inane name calling etc that makes threads like this hard to follow and read for people without the desire to use all their time following a bunch of forum threads. If you don't like someone, the forums have a nice 'ignore poster' feature I believe, which can come in handy.

I'm glad to see Statoil involved in this drilling, since I believe they are generally seen as reliable and not bs spouting, ie, I would tend to trust what they say.

It's worth rereading this thread and noting which posters reflected reality and the voice of reason and which did not.
h2
Peat
Peat

Unread postby ROCKMAN » Wed 24 Jul 2013, 16:15:46

h2 – thanks for the update. The fact that they didn’t find oil or a commercial NG reservoir may not be the most critical data they got from this well. We have a fairly sophisticated analytical analysis that can be done on the cuttings brought up during drilling. Oil generation is not a random process. It involves a very unique and rather rare set of circumstances which include (but isn’t limited to) type of original organic matter deposited with the rock and the burial history which also brings in the temperature and pressure history. And beyond the generation phase there is the secondary phase of hydrocarbon migration and the timing of potential trap formation.

I recall a very expensive well was drilled over 25 years ago up near the Arctic. All of Big Oil participated. Since no one would have the rights to produce anything found this “stratigraphic test well” it was located in the least likely spot to find an accumulation. The goal was to collect shale samples and determine the hydrocarbon generation history of this area. I don’t recall the details but the final analysis was that this area did not possess an “oil generation window”. Any NG potential was unimportant since the remote location would make any such discovery non-commercial. In this case just one well condemned a very large region.

I would bet that any such info that Statoil discovered (positive or negative) will remain a tightly held secret. The best we can do is watch for further activity by them. If anyone is curious about “cracking the petroleum system code” here’s an article about an effort on the other side of the continent from Mozambique: http://www.marketwire.com/press-release ... 814164.htm
ROCKMAN
Expert
Expert

Unread postby rockdoc123 » Wed 24 Jul 2013, 16:39:40

this is more an issue of finding where the oil went versus trap formation timing. We know there has been oil generated in the immediate area:

the Andarko Ironclad discovery well drilled offshore Rovuma basin in 2010 recovered oil from sidewall cores in the Upper Cretaceous (almost certainly a Jurassic or possibly Cret source)
There is oil scattered in outcrops and wells onshore Rovuma basin in Tanzania
Oil has been found onshore Rovuma basin in Mozambique in one older well
When you restore the plates to Late Jurassic time Madagascar slides up to offshore Kenya/Tanzania. The kitchen for the massive Bemelonga and Tsimimoro oil sands onshore Madagasar (~20 billion barrels) is most likely the Jurassic offshore which would be continuous with Jurassic in Tanzania and Mozambique.

In other words the source rock there is very oil prone (the mid-Jurassic is type II kerogen with high TOC), and has generated oil. The problem is whether traps formed were too late for the timing of migration, whether there are good enough seals for the Cretaceous deltaic stratigraphic plays or whether there was an appropriate migration pathway from source to potential trap. Not easy questions to answer.
rockdoc123
Expert
Expert

Unread postby ROCKMAN » Thu 25 Jul 2013, 12:22:09

From Seeking Alpha: Mozambique, striving to become one of Africa's top energy producers, plans to export its first liquefied natural gas by 2018 but ~$40B of infrastructure, including a terminal to export 20M metric tons of LNG, is needed first. It remains unclear who will build the plant. Eni and Anadarko operate the concessions where most of the 108Tcf of gas have been found, and are talking with the government.
ROCKMAN
Expert
Expert

THE Mozambique Thread

Unread postby Subjectivist » Mon 12 Jan 2015, 16:24:18

HuffPo reports 69 deaths and 196 hospitalized after someone poisoned the traditional beer served at the wake after a funeral in Maputo. How evil must you be to poison mourners after a funeral for a deceased infant?

MAPUTO, Mozambique (AP) — When a crocodile is killed, the bile of the animal must be immediately removed and buried in front of witnesses to prove that it has not fallen into the wrong hands, to be used as poison, according to some African traditions.

The deadly greenish-brown liquid, produced in the liver and stored in the gallbladder, is now believed to have been put into traditional beer that killed 69 people who drank it at a funeral on Saturday in Mozambique's northeast Tete province, health authorities said.

District health official, Alex Albertini, said poisoning by crocodile bile was common in the area, in an interview with Radio Mozambique.

About 196 people were admitted to a hospital in the Chitima district, according to the province's Health, Women and Social Welfare Director Paula Bernardo.

"People flocked to the hospital, suffering from diarrhea and muscle pain," Bernardo told Radio Mozambique. "Then bodies from various neighborhoods were brought to the hospital, and this alerted us."

Pombe, a traditional Mozambican beer, is made from millet or corn flour and brewed for about two days. Pombe is especially enjoyed during ceremonies, and is often sold in rural areas of the southern African country.

The victims of the suspected poisoning were attending the funeral of a newborn baby in the Chitima district near the Cahora Bassa lake, Albertini told Radio Mozambique.

The child's mother, who brewed the Pombe, was among the dead.

Mourners who drank the beer in the morning reported no illness, while those who drank the beer in the afternoon, fell ill, authorities said. They believe the beer must have been poisoned while funeral goers were at the cemetery.

Blood and traditional beer samples were sent to the capital Maputo to be tested, said provincial health director Carle Mosse.

"We are waiting for the results of the tests of the samples being done at Maputo Central Hospital so that we can identify the type of the product put into the drink," said Mosse.

Mosse told Radio Mozambique on Sunday that she expected the situation to worsen because the region did not have the necessary resources to deal with the disaster.

Police have no leads yet and are investigating the incident, and reinforcements have been sent to the affected districts, according to Radio Mozambique.

Health workers have travelled to the area to assist, according to the health ministry spokesman Julio Mendes.

Mozambique's government on Sunday declared three days of mourning, from Monday to Wednesday.

The leader of the opposition Renamo party, Afonso Dhlakama, has postponed a political rally to travel to the region to meet with the victims' families, according to local newspaper, O Pais.

Authorities are collecting clothing, food and coffins for the bereaved families.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2015/01/1 ... 55222.html
II Chronicles 7:14 if my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, and I will forgive their sin and will heal their land.
Subjectivist
Volunteer
Volunteer

Previous

Return to Africa Discussion