Donate Bitcoin

Donate Paypal

PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

THE Energy Calculator & Chart Thread (merged)

How to save energy through both societal and individual actions.

THE Energy Calculator & Chart Thread

Unread postby IslandCrow » Thu 15 Feb 2007, 07:10:01

The BBC has a fun educational tool about power generation
The electricity calculator gives you the opportunity to choose how you would like the UK’s electricity to be generated in 2020.
Once you have made your choice, the calculator will work out the possible impact in terms of carbon emissions, whether you managed to keep the lights on and how it will affect people’s annual bills.
Remember the calculator does not give precise forecasts, it is just a guide, but it is based on the best data available to us

BBC's electricity calculator
We should teach our children the 4-Rs: Reduce, Reuse, Recycle and Rejoice.
IslandCrow
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

Re: Electricity Calculator

Unread postby MrMambo » Thu 15 Feb 2007, 11:48:08

The calculator is totally bonkers.

When I set to meet demand with a combination of nuclear and renewables i get an equal size electricity bill in the future. But when I choose to reduced demand in addition (since that is KNOWN as the cheepest way to get more available energy) i instead get a much much higher electricity bill.

This calculator acts as some sort of warning against efficient use of electricity since it gives a false message of significantly increased costs as a result of efficiency.

It also assumes that electricity demand will not be higher in the future, something I think is deeply flawed, since there will be a shift towards electrified transportation instead of combustion engine fuel driven transportation.
Last edited by MrMambo on Thu 15 Feb 2007, 11:57:23, edited 1 time in total.
MrMambo
Peat
Peat

Unread postby strider3700 » Thu 15 Feb 2007, 17:46:55

hmm I exceeded demand. had zero emmissions, no nuclear, didn't reduce consumption at all and only doubled the current energy costs. If it was that easy the world should be happy doing it.
shame on us, doomed from the start
god have mercy on our dirty little hearts
strider3700
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby snax » Thu 15 Feb 2007, 23:17:51

Well that seems to be a completely useless calculator.
snax
Peat
Peat

Cartograms of world population and energy consumption

Unread postby Loki » Sat 14 Apr 2007, 09:35:17

Population: link

Energy consumption (including oil): link

Cartograms by M. E. J. Newman.
Last edited by Ferretlover on Fri 27 Feb 2009, 11:16:49, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Merged with Calculators and Charts Thread.
Loki
Expert
Expert

Re: Cartograms of world population and energy consumption

Unread postby Newsseeker » Sat 14 Apr 2007, 09:36:49

The US sure looks nice and plump and happy there all swelled up and everything.
Newsseeker
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

Unread postby Bas » Sat 14 Apr 2007, 09:38:54

Besides being very informative, those work on my laughing nerves too with it's bloated and shrunk countries/continents :lol:
Bas

Unread postby Zardoz » Sat 14 Apr 2007, 12:21:40

Africa's shriveled state on the energy consumption map is amazing, as is Russia's on the population map.

Note also that South America is virtually the same on both maps.
"Thank you for attending the oil age. We're going to scrape what we can out of these tar pits in Alberta and then shut down the machines and turn out the lights. Goodnight." - seldom_seen
Zardoz
Expert
Expert

Unread postby eric_b » Sat 14 Apr 2007, 13:29:36

Look at how Africa nearly disappears on the energy use map. America of course looks quite fat.
eric_b
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

Unread postby Loki » Sat 14 Apr 2007, 18:15:40

Raphael wrote:Africa is being sucked of its energy by the west and europe.

Funny, that's what I thought, too, when I first saw these maps. It's like Europe had a straw stuck in Africa, sucking out its vitals and leaving a shriveled husk.

For more cartograms similar to the ones above, check out Worldmapper. Here's one that shows the increase in energy use (defined here) between 1980 and 2001.

Loki
Expert
Expert

Unread postby jdumars » Sat 14 Apr 2007, 19:51:56

Those scientists in Antarctica are obviously using waaaaaay too much energy based on that cartogram. We need to shut them DOWN!
jdumars
Coal
Coal

Unread postby pea-jay » Sun 15 Apr 2007, 02:34:41

I'd like to see their cartogram on the IEA's projected energy usage for 2030... China and india would cover like half the earth almost.
UNplanning the future...
http://unplanning.blogspot.com
pea-jay
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

Unread postby Baldwin » Sun 15 Apr 2007, 02:40:19

pea-jay wrote:I'd like to see their cartogram on the IEA's projected energy usage for 2030... China and india would cover like half the earth almost.

And the Chindians shall inherit the Earth. (keep it...YOU solve the Aids crisis)
Only a city man would carry a bag of iron instead of a bag of rice.

-Ling Tan, from the movie Dragon Seed, 1944 (more wisdom from Turner Classic Movies)
Baldwin
Coal
Coal

Unread postby lateralus » Sun 15 Apr 2007, 02:44:50

Baldwin wrote:And the Chindians shall inherit the Earth.

I agree with you on that one Baldwin.

So it is written, so it shall be...
lateralus
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

Unread postby I_Like_Plants » Sun 15 Apr 2007, 03:40:56

According to Some Guy On NPR, California's pollution etc requirements have resulted in energy use per capita in the Friendly Fascist state to level off since about 1980, where in the rest of the US they've gone up 50%.

I personally think what we've seen since 1980 is rather confortable people leave in droves starting with the recession that started around 1980, and lots of 3rd worlders move in, as well as us X'ers etc settle for a much lower standard of living. To give you an idea of lower, I was a skilled tronics tech in SoCal living just outside Newport Beach, and that rather "good" job and location got me a rented tiny mobile home, with a toilet system that accepted #1's ok (actually the lawn did!) and deposited #2's on the lawn to brown in the sun! Rather startling the first time, finding an "old friend" sitting there. ..... like... oops. Transpo was a used motorcycle, shopping meant goodwill, etc. I guess I was fairly happy but it was a far cry from a 20-something skilled tronics tech of say the mid 1960s, who'd be buying a house and driving a car.

So, was it energy use leveling off per capita or socioeconomic status falling per capita?
I_Like_Plants
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby Plantagenet » Sun 15 Apr 2007, 15:26:36

Loki's map and the links were really interesting.

http://www.worldmapper.org/display.php?selected=120

They show that, in spite of all the hoopla about the Kyoto treaty, the reality is that Europe and Japan are showing high rates of growth in their energy use, while the US (not just California, but the entire US) has shown much less growth in energy use.

Of course, to limit Greenhouse warming due to CO2 production, actual reductions in energy use would have to occur.
Plantagenet
Expert
Expert

Re: THE Energy Calculator & Chart Thread (merged)

Unread postby Graeme » Tue 29 Apr 2014, 18:57:29

What’s your carbon footprint and where does it come from?

When I learned for the first time that an average European is responsible for emissions of almost 10 tons of carbon dioxide per year (and an American double that amount) I was really shocked.

I wanted to know how much of this carbon footprint is related to particular activities: heating, riding a car, flying a plane, food and goods production, home electricity consumption etc. I wanted to know how my carbon footprint relates to the average in my country, in the United States, China or India. Was my emissions level safe for the Earth or maybe it looked like the trace of Godzilla? And most of all – I wanted to know what changes in my life will have a real impact, not just improve my good feeling. I strived to reduce my carbon footprint, so this information was critical for informed decisions.

If you have similar thoughts, the best way to answer them is to use a Personal Carbon Footprint Calculator, official tool of Polish Ministry of Environment for UN COP14 climate conference (there is also a local version of the calculator - you can download it here, installing Adobe AIR first). The calculator will translate your lifestyle into your total carbon footprint, divided into several categories and displayed in a clear graphical form.

skepticalscience
Human history becomes more and more a race between education and catastrophe. H. G. Wells.
Fatih Birol's motto: leave oil before it leaves us.
Graeme
Fusion
Fusion

Previous

Return to Conservation & Efficiency