Donate Bitcoin

Donate Paypal

PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

Joint Chiefs: US ready for military response in Ukraine

For discussions of events and conditions not necessarily related to Peak Oil.

Re: Joint Chiefs: US ready for military response in Ukraine

Unread postby Plantagenet » Fri 14 Mar 2014, 16:55:38

Strummer wrote:Oh, for f**k's sake. The war in Georgia was started by Georgia. There was an independent EU investigation:

http://www.ceiig.ch/

Yes, and the EU investigation concluded that Russia invaded Georgia.

Georgia and the So. Ossetian rebels were fighting and Russia used that as a pretext to send Russian troops to invade Georgia.

In fact, Russia is still occupying Georgia. The EU reports calls for Russia to respect Georgia's territorial integrity and withdraw their troops.

If Russia has so much regard for the EU report, then why doesn't Russia comply with the findings of the EU report and end their occupation of Georgian territory? :roll:

Russian troops in occupied Georgia
Plantagenet
Expert
Expert

Unread postby Sixstrings » Fri 14 Mar 2014, 17:10:35

Strummer wrote:Oh, for f**k's sake. The war in Georgia was started by Georgia. There was an independent EU investigation:

Bush wanted to do something after Georgia -- it was George Bush sending those naval relief ships into Georgian port that got Putin to withdraw.

But he wanted to do more -- fast track Georgia and Ukraine into NATO. Germany's Angela Merkel blocked that.

So now Crimea. How many more times is this going to happen, and does it wind up in massive global cold / hot war when it could have been stopped early? These are the questions that matter.

Okay, have Crimea, I admit Crimeans don't hate the Russians or anything but there really are Crimeans who aren't happy about this occupation and wanted to stay Ukrainian. But okay Crimea is fair enough, they should be happy with Russia and it won't be a humanitarian catastrophe.

The main issue is whether it's another Hitler thing, will invasion keep happening, are one of the 'stans out east next? Ultimately I think China will put a stop to this, they don't like this kind of thing, they're touchy about sovereignty. They have their own ethnic minorities who may like to be liberated and granted independence / join another nation.
Sixstrings
Fusion
Fusion

Unread postby AndyA » Fri 14 Mar 2014, 20:53:56

America does not have a right of succession. Abe Lincoln put an end to that foolish idea by winning the US civil war.

Crimea does not have a right to succession either, in spite of Russian claims to the contrary.

Its interesting to see the variety of bizarre excuses being offered up for the Russian invasion of Ukraine. 8)

Well there are plenty of examples of secession, not the least of which involves a US led move in Kosovo, which at the time the US was warned such a move would have dire consequences.. You are wrong about the US also.
It's interesting how bizarre all this seems to you. Crazy world eh. Reality is just so bizarre.
If you want the truth to stand clear before you, never be for or against. The struggle between "for" and "against" is the mind's worst disease. -Sen-ts'an
AndyA
Lignite
Lignite

Unread postby ROCKMAN » Fri 14 Mar 2014, 21:14:59

P - I believe the secession referred to was the colonies leaving the British empire by the use of military force with the aid of a foreign gov't. In our case it was France and not Russia.
ROCKMAN
Expert
Expert

Unread postby AndyA » Fri 14 Mar 2014, 21:30:27

http://www.ceiig.ch/

Hopefully there will be a similar investigation of the Maidan coup.

Yeah, I had a laugh about how ignorant people like to sound like experts. As to maiden coup, and shootings, I wouldn't hold my breath. Even if there was an investigation so few people would hear or understand about, that it would make no difference.
Yes, and the EU investigation concluded that Russia invaded Georgia.

Georgia and the So. Ossetian rebels were fighting and Russia used that as a pretext to send Russian troops to invade Georgia.

The Georgians were shelling Russian peacekeepers, so yeah Russia invaded not sure of your point there. Osetta and Akhsomething had splintered off as independent states years before, though not recognised by many countries Russia recognised them as independent states. The EU does not, therefore the Russians are still in Georgia, meanwhile the Osetians and Akhers are happy to have them there. I suppose the EU et al would rather have them as a persecuted minority like the Kurds or something rather then under Russian protection. Not like Kosovo where NATO was involved. Kosovo it's ok because it's your team, I get it.
If you want the truth to stand clear before you, never be for or against. The struggle between "for" and "against" is the mind's worst disease. -Sen-ts'an
AndyA
Lignite
Lignite

Unread postby AndyA » Fri 14 Mar 2014, 21:42:08

I was more understanding about Georgia.
No you are dead wrong about Georgia.
couldn't the Russians AT LEAST have done a REAL REFERENDUM allowing for a genuine "no" vote?
That's just your interpretation of it, the no vote is a vote for independence. The people of Crimea don't want to be part of Ukraine, especially now that its parliament is full of neo Nazis who hate Russians, something the EU was opposed to, but 'you know fuck the EU.' Now if the Crimeans vote no, or whatever you call it, I think Russia will accept it, not long to wait either way.
It's actually important that we DO hold up our side of agreements in exchange for nations giving up nukes. If we don't, then nobody would trust us anymore.
If you like your agreement, you can keep your agreement. BTW there is nothing in the agreement that is a mandate for war. It's pretty vague TBH.
If we don't follow through on these agreements, then nations will just want nukes even more and never give them up.
If there is one nation that should give up it's nukes, it's the one that has used them to bomb civilian populations. Most nations that don't have nukes, want them to protect themselves from said city nuking, pathological warmongering and hypocritical nation.
But that's a return to crass 19th century imperialism, a total breakdown of international law, and it isn't right.
Right, so all those bases, all over the world are not at all influenced by that, and don't get special deals because of that? Are you serious? It's easier for an Iraqi to immigrate to the US then it is for a New Zealander. Want to know why? Look it up. As for 19th century, it's like the invasion of Iraq didn't happen in your alternate reality, or numerable other invasions by the US, where suddenly these massive bases turn up, and continue to be fully manned and operational, decades after peace. Or do you accept they did happen, but it's ok because it was your team doing it and it's only wrong when the other team does it?
Germans and Brits pay their gas bill. Yet the threat was put out there, that it could get shut off over all this.

Gas should NEVER get shut off over politics. Should be private companies in business to just develop and sell the darn gas and that's it -- no political bullying.
Right, and yet the pipeline runs through Ukraine, and there is no way to send gas through that pipeline (the nord stream pipeline still carries gas to Europe) to Europe while withholding it from Ukraine. No political bullying you say, how about those sanctions on Iran, is that not political bullying? Oh right that's your team so it's different. As to gas being in private companies, well you can buy Gazprom stocks if you want, not sure what you mean by that. Not even sure why it matters. Private companies have the mandate to act like a sociopath, is that what you mean?
AndyA
Lignite
Lignite

Unread postby AndyA » Fri 14 Mar 2014, 21:57:09

A referendum took place in Southern Sudan from 9 to 15 January 2011,[1] on whether the region should remain a part of Sudan or become independent

President of the United States Barack Obama said the result of the vote were "inspiring" as voters decided "their own future [and marked] another step forward in Africa's long journey toward justice and democracy". He also said that the United States would recognise South Sudan's independence when it is formalised in July.
AndyA
Lignite
Lignite

Unread postby dissident » Fri 14 Mar 2014, 23:56:12

AndyA wrote:
A referendum took place in Southern Sudan from 9 to 15 January 2011,[1] on whether the region should remain a part of Sudan or become independent

President of the United States Barack Obama said the result of the vote were "inspiring" as voters decided "their own future [and marked] another step forward in Africa's long journey toward justice and democracy". He also said that the United States would recognise South Sudan's independence when it is formalised in July.

Nothing in international politics and "law" is based on principles these days. The South Sudanese got years of sympathetic coverage from the MSM just as Kosovo Albanians. Crimeans did not get any sympathy from the MSM while their autonomy rights were stripped by successive Kiev governments. Worst of all, most Crimeans are Russians and so they may as well be Serbs and western Ukrainian nationalists Kosovars. So rights are a function of MSM sympathy and western government approval. Utterly ludicrous, but unfortunately the reality. The only thing that Crimeans have going for them is that they have a neighbour that is not afraid to practice might makes right on their behalf.
dissident
Expert
Expert

Unread postby Sixstrings » Sat 15 Mar 2014, 00:21:47

Some news updates that were on drudgereport:

The London talks broke down
Russian military massing on east Ukraine border
Russia says they intercepted a US drone
Russian companies withdrawing billions of dollars out of the West

And then there was an item on Reuters about US seeking extradition of a Ukrainian oligarch, to face charges in the US:

Dmytro Firtash, one of Ukraine's richest men, is seen in Kiev May 18, 2010.

U.S. to seek extradition of Ukrainian industrialist

(Reuters) - The U.S. government will ask Austria to extradite Ukrainian industrialist Dmytro Firtash to face charges filed in a Chicago court arising from an investigation into international corruption, U.S. prosecutors said on Friday.

One of Ukraine's most influential oligarchs, Firtash, 48, was arrested in Vienna on Wednesday. On Friday, a court there ordered him held and set bail at $174 million (125 million euros).

"The charges result from an investigation, which the FBI has conducted for several years, of an alleged international corruption conspiracy," U.S. prosecutors said in a statement.

"Firtash's arrest is not related to recent events in Ukraine," they said in a reference to the political crisis between Ukraine and Russia.
http://www.reuters.com/article/2014/03/14/us-usa-courts-firtash-idUSBREA2D1UV20140314
Sixstrings
Fusion
Fusion

Unread postby Plantagenet » Sat 15 Mar 2014, 01:18:28

AndyA wrote: so yeah Russia invaded not sure of your point there.

My point is that Russia shouldn't invade neighboring countries. :idea:
Plantagenet
Expert
Expert

Unread postby Strummer » Sat 15 Mar 2014, 04:57:44

Plantagenet wrote:My point is that Russia shouldn't invade neighboring countries. :idea:

Or, speaking more generally, no country should ever do anything that the US doesn't like, right? Is that your point? Because it surely seems so, seeing how selective the US is in their support of various invasions, secessions and referenda.
Strummer
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

Unread postby Plantagenet » Sat 15 Mar 2014, 14:42:11

Strummer wrote:
Plantagenet wrote:My point is that Russia shouldn't invade neighboring countries. :idea:

Or, speaking more generally, no country should ever do anything that the US doesn't like, right? Is that your point?

No, thats not my point.

Since you don't understand my point, allow me to rephrase it.

My point is that Russia should stop invading neighboring countries and stealing their land.

CHEERS! :idea:
Plantagenet
Expert
Expert

Unread postby Sixstrings » Sat 15 Mar 2014, 16:46:36

Thousands In Moscow Protest Crimea Military Action

Tens of thousands gathered in Moscow to protest Russian military action in Crimea, according to the Agence France Presse. The news agency estimated that there were 50,000 in the crowd at the "March Of Peace." The protest comes a day before Crimea's scheduled vote over whether to secede from Ukraine.
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/03/15/moscow-protest-crimea_n_4969970.html

50,000, that's a big crowd. My prediction: if Russia starts a horrible war in Ukraine, then these "marches of peace" will grow in Russia. Radon had said only 26% supported this thing to begin with. If it gets ugly, then I think the Russian people will be apalled by it and opposition will grow.

And then Putin will have to crack down on THEM. And Russians will rise up even more.

To all the pro-Putin people on this forum, what do you think of these 50,000 Russian protesters for peace? Are they wrong, and Putin is right?

Quinn, and Andy, what do you think here -- should Putin crack down on these Russian protesters?
Sixstrings
Fusion
Fusion

Unread postby Plantagenet » Sat 15 Mar 2014, 18:20:28

Sixstrings wrote:

Tens of thousands gathered in Moscow to protest Russian military action in Crimea, according to the Agence France Presse. The news agency estimated that there were 50,000 in the crowd at the "March Of Peace."

Good to know there are some honest peace-loving Russians out there. Its even more impressive that so many people turned out for the peace demonstration in Moscow since Putin is now censoring the internet and blocking the websites of the Russian opposition groups.

Not all Russians have been duped by Putin
Plantagenet
Expert
Expert

Unread postby Graeme » Sat 15 Mar 2014, 20:35:58

US Navy destroyer to conduct more Black Sea drills: commander

A US Navy guided-missile destroyer will remain in the Black Sea to conduct more exercises with allied ships, its commander said on Saturday, the eve of a breakaway vote in Crimea.

The USS Truxtun this week conducted joint exercises with Romanian and Bulgarian naval forces just a few hundred kilometres (miles) away from the disputed Crimea peninsula.

"I cannot comment on our future operations but we will take the opportunity to do some routine exercises with our allies in the region," said Commander Andrew Biehn.

Speaking to reporters aboard the 300-crew ship at the Black Sea port of Varna, Biehn refused to provide details about the drills or the next port of dock of the destroyer, which will leave Varna on Sunday.

The drills were routine and had been "planned a long time before the start of the Crimean crisis." They did not include live firing, he said.

The move comes just days after the Pentagon sought to reassure anxious allies in Central and Eastern Europe over Russia's actions in Ukraine, announcing plans to send more F-15 fighter jets to patrol the skies over Baltic states and stepping up aviation training in Poland.

yahoo
Human history becomes more and more a race between education and catastrophe. H. G. Wells.
Fatih Birol's motto: leave oil before it leaves us.
Graeme
Fusion
Fusion

Unread postby Keith_McClary » Sun 16 Mar 2014, 00:11:59

Sixstrings wrote:

Tens of thousands gathered in Moscow to protest Russian military action in Crimea, according to the Agence France Presse. The news agency estimated that there were 50,000 in the crowd at the "March Of Peace." The protest comes a day before Crimea's scheduled vote over whether to secede from Ukraine.
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/03/15/moscow-protest-crimea_n_4969970.html

50,000, that's a big crowd. My prediction: if Russia starts a horrible war in Ukraine, then these "marches of peace" will grow in Russia. Radon had said only 26% supported this thing to begin with. If it gets ugly, then I think the Russian people will be apalled by it and opposition will grow.

And then Putin will have to crack down on THEM. And Russians will rise up even more.

To all the pro-Putin people on this forum, what do you think of these 50,000 Russian protesters for peace? Are they wrong, and Putin is right?

Quinn, and Andy, what do you think here -- should Putin crack down on these Russian protesters?
I think he will just ignore them like the US/UK warmongers did.
Facebook knows you're a dog.
Keith_McClary
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby Keith_McClary » Sun 16 Mar 2014, 00:19:55

Plantagenet wrote:
radon1 wrote:And do you know what happened when they seized the Party of Regions building? There were no party members there at all at the time. Some two-three employees came out, one was an engineer, and he said to the attackers: “Could you let us go, and let the women out, please. I’m an engineer, I have nothing to do with politics.” He was shot right there in front of the crowd. Another employee was led to a cellar and then they threw Molotov cocktails at him and burned him alive. Is this also a manifestation of democracy?

No, its a manifestation of Russian propaganda. :roll:

---------------------------------------------------
Here's some Jewish propaganda for you:

Delta, a Ukraine-born former soldier in the Israel Defense Forces, spoke to JTA Thursday on condition of anonymity. He explained how he came to use combat skills he acquired in the Shu’alei Shimshon reconnaissance battalion of the Givati infantry brigade to rise through the ranks of Kiev’s street fighters.

He has headed a force of 40 men and women — including several fellow IDF veterans — in violent clashes with government forces.

Several Ukrainian Jews, including Rabbi Moshe Azman, one of the country’s claimants to the title of chief rabbi, confirmed Delta’s identity and role in the still-unfinished revolution.

The “Blue Helmets” nickname, a reference to the U.N. peacekeeping force, stuck after Delta’s unit last month prevented a mob from torching a building occupied by Ukrainian police, he said.

“There were dozens of officers inside, surrounded by 1,200 demonstrators who wanted to burn them alive,” he recalled. “We intervened and negotiated their safe passage.”
http://www.jta.org/2014/02/28/news-opin ... aves-lives
Keith_McClary
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby Keith_McClary » Sun 16 Mar 2014, 00:22:46

So Calvin represents Obama and Hobbes is the Republicans?
Keith_McClary
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Previous

Return to Geopolitics & Global Economics