Donate Bitcoin

Donate Paypal

PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

Australian shale oil find larger than Canada's Oil Sands

A forum for discussion of regional topics including oil depletion but also government, society, and the future.

Australian shale oil find larger than Canada's Oil Sands

Unread postby TheAntiDoomer » Wed 10 Jul 2013, 11:14:05

http://www.cbc.ca/news/business/story/2 ... e-oil.html

:shock: :? 8)

"If you stress test it right down and you only took the very sweetest spots in the absolute known areas and you do nothing else, it's about 3.5 billion [barrels] and that's sort of worse-case scenario," he said. "So if you took the 233 billion, well, you're talking Saudi Arabia numbers. It's massive, it's just huge."

By way of comparison, the Athabasca oilsands in Northern Alberta contain almost 170 billion barrels of proven or probable reserves.
"The human ability to innovate out of a jam is profound.That’s why Darwin will always be right, and Malthus will always be wrong.” -K.R. Sridhar

Do I make you Corny? :)

"expect 8$ gas on 08/08/08" - Prognosticator
TheAntiDoomer
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

Re: Australian shale oil find larger than Canada's Oil Sands

Unread postby SeaGypsy » Wed 10 Jul 2013, 11:40:08

repeat thread, mods?
SeaGypsy
Master Prognosticator
Master Prognosticator

Unread postby Ron Patterson » Wed 10 Jul 2013, 13:52:59

In a statement to the Stock Exchange, the company said reports from U.S.-based consultants indicate underlying rock formations "are rich in oil and gas-prone kerogen".

Dude, it ain't oil, it's kerogen. The Green River Kerogen is probably bigger but no one wants that either.
Ron Patterson
Peat
Peat

Unread postby Pops » Wed 10 Jul 2013, 14:16:44

Yeah but it sounds like a really big number Ron and that is all that matters to the Press Release Patrol lol

3.5 billion, if it could be extracted tomorrow, would move the peak 2-3 weeks and even 255B, if some miraculous way to extract it overnight were dreamed up, would only move the peak 3-4 years, according to the idealized chart I posted in this thread:
the-plateau-is-the-peak-t68427.html

Of course it won't be extracted over night but over decades, if ever. The addition of this type of high R/P stuff only serves to reinforce the idea that happy motoring will continue indefinitely. But some think posting big numbers gives their "side" a point in the doomer vs corny online game.
The legitimate object of government, is to do for a community of people, whatever they need to have done, but can not do, at all, or can not, so well do, for themselves -- in their separate, and individual capacities.
-- Abraham Lincoln, Fragment on Government (July 1, 1854)
Pops
Elite
Elite

Unread postby TheAntiDoomer » Wed 10 Jul 2013, 14:19:04

Ron Patterson wrote:
In a statement to the Stock Exchange, the company said reports from U.S.-based consultants indicate underlying rock formations "are rich in oil and gas-prone kerogen".

Dude, it ain't oil, it's kerogen. The Green River Kerogen is probably bigger but no one wants that either.

In a statement to the Stock Exchange, the company said reports from U.S.-based consultants indicate underlying rock formations "are rich in oil and gas-prone kerogen

Notice the AND

They are talking about frackable shale oil:

"It's basically oil which is trapped in low-permeability, clay-rich rocks so it's within the rocks and you fracture-stimulate those rocks to release the oil. "There are processes now where you can unconventionally retrieve these reservesm" he said."
"The human ability to innovate out of a jam is profound.That’s why Darwin will always be right, and Malthus will always be wrong.” -K.R. Sridhar

Do I make you Corny? :)

"expect 8$ gas on 08/08/08" - Prognosticator
TheAntiDoomer
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

Unread postby Ron Patterson » Wed 10 Jul 2013, 14:34:53

AD, you are misreading the "and". It is "oil and gas" prone kerogen, not oil "and gas prone kerogen". That is the kerogen can be converted to both "oil and gas".

"If the reserves and the pressure was right over millions of years and the rocks have done the things they think they've done, they think they can extract vast reserves of oil out of South Australia which would have a value of about $20 trillion."

The whole thing is full of ifs, buts and maybes. Looks like they are looking for investors but hedging their bets, not promising anything specific.
Ron Patterson
Peat
Peat

Unread postby TheDude » Wed 10 Jul 2013, 19:11:37

Original link to story quoted above: Australian shale oil discovery could be larger than Canada's oilsands - Business - CBC News

South Australian Mining Minister Tom Koutsantonis says it is much too early to say if the reserve can be profitably tapped. "What they think they've found, or they have found, but whether it's economic to recover or not is still the question, is vast reserves of shale oil," he said.

"It's basically oil which is trapped in low-permeability, clay-rich rocks so it's within the rocks and you fracture-stimulate those rocks to release the oil. "There are processes now where you can unconventionally retrieve these reservesm" he said."

So you have tight oil - "shale oil" - which is in this case found in kerogen formations - "oil shale" - and the headlines compare it in volume to "oil sands." All you could do to confuse matters more would be to bring in the Fischer Tropsch process...
Cogito, ergo non satis bibivi
And let me tell you something: I dig your work.
TheDude
Expert
Expert

Unread postby vtsnowedin » Sun 14 Jul 2013, 13:35:18

Here is another story hyping the same find. I notice there is no mention of production costs.
http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/news/sout ... 6560401043
vtsnowedin
Fusion
Fusion

Unread postby Subjectivist » Sun 14 Jul 2013, 14:54:53

It is confusing how the media uses the term shale oil, which used to mean kerogen rich shale like they have in Utah interchanagbly with tight oil, which is oil in very low permiable formations not all of which are made of shale.
II Chronicles 7:14 if my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, and I will forgive their sin and will heal their land.
Subjectivist
Volunteer
Volunteer

Unread postby John_A » Sun 14 Jul 2013, 19:54:24

Subjectivist wrote:It is confusing how the media uses the term shale oil, which used to mean kerogen rich shale like they have in Utah interchanagbly with tight oil, which is oil in very low permiable formations not all of which are made of shale.

The media doesn't know anymore about oil shale or shale oil than they do reserves versus resources. It isn't there job to know anything, just write down random stuff and hope that everyone else is just as ignorant on the topic I guess.
45ACP: For when you want to send the very best.
John_A
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

Return to Australia & New Zealand Discussion