Donate Bitcoin

Donate Paypal

PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

'Twilight in the Desert' by Matthew R. Simmons

A forum to either submit your own review of a book, video or audio interview, or to post reviews by others.

Re: Has anybody read Matthew R. Simmons book 'Twilight in th

Unread postby AirlinePilot » Tue 24 Jul 2007, 03:51:01

I recommend the title "Hubbert's Peak" by William Deffeyes. Is a good primer on peak oil in general and i dont recall him getting really doomerish. Its an easy read and also has decent info on how we go about extracting and producing oil.
AirlinePilot

Unread postby TheDude » Tue 24 Jul 2007, 05:05:26

Deffeyes is also funny, in a techie type way. Like telling a story about how he had a student who was a Saudi with connections to the big Saudi oil company Saudi Aramco, Ken kept leaning on him to get some geological data. Finally the student came through and Ken got to exam some samples of Saudi reservoir rock. Turns out it was made by huge amounts of, erm, pellets swirling about in the currents offshore. So Ken goes home and announces to his family that the biggest oil well in the world is made out of shit.

I'd recommend watching videos and listening to audio. Lots of good stuff at YouTube and Global Public Media.
Cogito, ergo non satis bibivi
And let me tell you something: I dig your work.
TheDude
Expert
Expert

Unread postby TheTurtle » Tue 24 Jul 2007, 09:17:04

joewp wrote:There's a four page thread on it in the Book/Media Reviews forum, click here.
I merged the thread into the older one.
“Humankind has not woven the web of life. We are but one thread within it. Whatever we do to the web, we do to ourselves.” (Ted Perry)
TheTurtle
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

"Twilight in the Desert" book review.

Unread postby MrEnergyCzar » Mon 28 Jan 2013, 17:36:24

Here's my review of Matt Simmon's classic Peak Oil book...

http://youtu.be/m_hXbEgrW6U

MrEnergyCzar
MrEnergyCzar
Peat
Peat

Re: "Twilight in the Desert" book review.

Unread postby Plantagenet » Mon 28 Jan 2013, 17:54:23

Good job on the book review.

I'm disappointed you skipped over all the technical and scientific parts of the book, but probably most Americans aren't equipped to under those parts anyway, and you deserve credit for being honest about this shortcoming. On the positive side You did a nice job of looking directly into the camera, you speak well, and on video there is a friendly, "everyman" quality to you. You clearly understood the main point of the book, and your book review was honest and accurate.

All in all, I give your YOUtube book review of "Twilight in the Desert" FOUR STARS. :)
Plantagenet
Expert
Expert

Re: "Twilight in the Desert" book review.

Unread postby MrEnergyCzar » Tue 29 Jan 2013, 09:08:22

Plantagenet wrote:Good job on the book review.

I'm disappointed you skipped over all the technical and scientific parts of the book, but probably most Americans aren't equipped to under those parts anyway, and you deserve credit for being honest about this shortcoming. On the positive side You did a nice job of looking directly into the camera, you speak well, and on video there is a friendly, "everyman" quality to you. You clearly understood the main point of the book, and your book review was honest and accurate.

All in all, I give your YOUtube book review of "Twilight in the Desert" FOUR STARS. :)

Thanks, I appreciate the feedback. Of the over 50 peak oil books I've read, this was the most difficult for me to get through since I'm not of an engineer mind etc.... Great book though.

MrEnergyCzar
MrEnergyCzar
Peat
Peat

Previous

Return to Book/Media Reviews