Donate Bitcoin

Donate Paypal

PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

Believe it! Car gets 3,000 miles per gallon

How to save energy through both societal and individual actions.

Unread postby Graeme » Thu 29 Mar 2012, 18:07:23

Engineers have proven that it’s possible, at least technically, to drive from coast to coast on only a gallon of gasoline.

Granted, however, the vehicle they built goes about 10 to 25 miles an hour, can only fit one compact-sized person and more closely resembles a coffin on wheels than anything found on the streets. Designed by students at Cal Poly University in San Luis Obispo, the 3,000 mpg “Lamina” was conceived strictly as an entry into this year’s Shell Eco Marathon, a worldwide competition where participants attempt to build a vehicle with the highest possible fuel efficiency. Still, much of the techniques used to boost fuel efficiency can also be applied to everyday cars.

For instance, the designers that built the supermileage Lamina say that size and weight are the two most important factors for improving the gas mileage of any particular vehicle. Consisting of an ultra-lightweight carbon fiber frame and other spare parts such as low resistance tires with BMX bike rims, a modified Honda generator and a fuel tank the size of a soda can, the car altogether weighs a mere 100 pounds.

“It’s really just sizing an engine properly for your car, we don’t need all that extra horsepower that people love,” team member Gabriel Mountjoy told Fox News. “That is one way we can increase our efficiency and fuel economy and you don’t need to invent anything, just smaller engines for decently sized cars.”

smartplanet
Human history becomes more and more a race between education and catastrophe. H. G. Wells.
Fatih Birol's motto: leave oil before it leaves us.
Graeme
Fusion
Fusion

Re: Believe it! Car gets 3,000 miles per gallon

Unread postby dinopello » Thu 29 Mar 2012, 18:37:10

One thing true in the blurb is smaller engines, lighter cars means better gas mileage.

I doubt that car could actually go "coast to coast" due to the mountains.
dinopello
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby Windmills » Thu 29 Mar 2012, 18:45:42

Was the car on a flat circular track, or did it actually have cross natural terrain with all the associated slopes, hills, or mountains?

I do see part of the point, however. There's a great deal of room for improvement in personal transporation once people stop using vehicles as penis extensions. Given that the younger generation is becoming less interested in cars and more interested gadgetry, perhaps there's a foothold here regarding moving away from autos, or at least wasteful ones.
Windmills
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

Unread postby cephalotus » Fri 30 Mar 2012, 04:30:47

At 10-25mph you can also drive an aerodynamic bike (velomobil) that uses no gasoline at all, just human power:

You can even buy such things and also drive them on real roads:

http://www.go-one.us/
cephalotus
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

Unread postby Beery1 » Fri 30 Mar 2012, 19:40:06

All these engineers have done is to power a faired tricycle with a little gasoline engine. This is hardly a step forward in fuel efficiency. All it does is waste gasoline by replacing pedal power with an internal combustion engine. Essentially, all it accomplishes is to allow the driver to get fat by sitting idle instead of pedaling and thereby burning the energy he/she must eat.

My old hybrid bike with a gallon of gasoline sitting in a pannier could probably outpace it across the US - and I'd still have the gallon of gas untouched at the end.
"I'm gonna have to ask you boys to stop raping our doctor."
Beery1
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

Unread postby The Practician » Fri 30 Mar 2012, 21:18:52

Beery1 wrote:All these engineers have done is to power a faired tricycle with a little gasoline engine. This is hardly a step forward in fuel efficiency. All it does is waste gasoline by replacing pedal power with an internal combustion engine. Essentially, all it accomplishes is to allow the driver to get fat by sitting idle instead of pedaling and thereby burning the energy he/she must eat.

My old hybrid bike with a gallon of gasoline sitting in a pannier could probably outpace it across the US - and I'd still have the gallon of gas untouched at the end.

and you wouldn't need a support vehicle full of nerds following you around to refill your "soda-can sized" Gas tank every hundred miles or so.
The Practician
Lignite
Lignite

Unread postby MrEnergyCzar » Mon 07 Jan 2013, 17:27:29

The top Volt driver, after a year, is getting 15,000 miles per gallon... obviously he drives 40 miles or less a day though...

MrEnergyCzar
MrEnergyCzar
Peat
Peat

Unread postby MrEnergyCzar » Mon 07 Jan 2013, 20:41:27

pstarr wrote:
MrEnergyCzar wrote:The top Volt driver, after a year, is getting 15,000 miles per gallon... obviously he drives 40 miles or less a day though...

MrEnergyCzar
Nice techie metric, but not really a good thing. Not if the driver is blowing CO2 out someone else's tailpipe for his hypermiled prowess display. We need to immediately commence the Powerdown, if we are going to salvage our current ecologic infrastructure. (You know, the one with green trees, yapping dogs, and kids on bicycles.) That means giving up 3,000 lb. heated/air-conditioned steel personal transport devices. Sadly I expect that particular assignment will prove to be impossible.

I'm pretty sure he uses solar panels as many early Volt drivers do such as myself, but regardless, the Volt is a good option to straddle the current world while transitioning to the future world where there may not be anywhere to drive to. Some Volt drivers, believe it or not, expect more oil wars and very high gas prices to finally grip the states... Most aren't concerned though, I just happen to talk to the ones that are thinking in those terms.... As most on here well know, the for profit model isn't going to allow the powerdown that's needed to soften the landing... too much vested interest to keep things going.

MrEnergyCzar
MrEnergyCzar
Peat
Peat

Unread postby Beery1 » Tue 08 Jan 2013, 08:25:08

MrEnergyCzar wrote:The top Volt driver, after a year, is getting 15,000 miles per gallon... obviously he drives 40 miles or less a day though...

The Volt is hideously inefficient, mostly due to the facts that pstarr has already pointed out. A big part of that inefficiency is that it's a mode of transportation that requires the conveyance of an extra 3,781 lb to transport a payload that weighs only around 200 lbs. All that energy going to waste is still going to waste, no matter how it's generated.
"I'm gonna have to ask you boys to stop raping our doctor."
Beery1
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

Unread postby MrEnergyCzar » Thu 10 Jan 2013, 01:12:40

Beery1 wrote:

The Volt is hideously inefficient, mostly due to the facts that pstarr has already pointed out. A big part of that inefficiency is that it's a mode of transportation that requires the conveyance of an extra 3,781 lb to transport a payload that weighs only around 200 lbs. All that energy going to waste is still going to waste, no matter how it's generated.

I wish in the states all the cars would turn into bicycles tomorrow, but I'm a realist. Until then, I'll be driving my fuel sipper during the transition..

MrEnergyCzar
MrEnergyCzar
Peat
Peat

Unread postby MrEnergyCzar » Thu 10 Jan 2013, 01:17:39

pstarr wrote:
MrEnergyCzar wrote:
pstarr wrote:

MrEnergyCzar
Nice techie metric, but not really a good thing. Not if the driver is blowing CO2 out someone else's tailpipe for his hypermiled prowess display. We need to immediately commence the Powerdown, if we are going to salvage our current ecologic infrastructure. (You know, the one with green trees, yapping dogs, and kids on bicycles.) That means giving up 3,000 lb. heated/air-conditioned steel personal transport devices. Sadly I expect that particular assignment will prove to be impossible.

I'm pretty sure he uses solar panels as many early Volt drivers do such as myself, but regardless, the Volt is a good option to straddle the current world while transitioning to the future world where there may not be anywhere to drive to. Some Volt drivers, believe it or not, expect more oil wars and very high gas prices to finally grip the states... Most aren't concerned though, I just happen to talk to the ones that are thinking in those terms.... As most on here well know, the for profit model isn't going to allow the powerdown that's needed to soften the landing... too much vested interest to keep things going.

MrEnergyCzar

Did you generate 250 kwh this past December?

The Volt, as with all the new electric cars, have unfortunately been designed to meet current safety standards on our multifunctional transport grid. That means the auto must share the road with 20,000 lb tractor/trailers hauling 50,000 lb of explosive fuel oil or fertilizer. In the snow, rain, and sleet. So a modern fully-rigged passenger vehicle would probably win a firefight with a World War I battle tank. Strap a warp-drive on the sucker and you good to go. To Neptune.

The modern EV is not a transitional vehicles. (GM knew that when they canned their program.) They are the last dying gasp of our auto-centric infrastructure. Only when we re-engineer re-purpose suburbia for energy-efficient live/work, small-scale food production, local transport, and nutrient (industrial/biologic) reuse will we have a chance at sustaining the 7-9 billion humans that are coming on-line More big cars has nothing to do with that.

It's a transitional vehicle to something, bikes, nothing, walking, something else. In the meantime, most people can't leave the present system and go to the future way of life...self-reliant homesteading etc...

MrEnergyCzar
MrEnergyCzar
Peat
Peat

Return to Conservation & Efficiency